• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone 8.1 Start Screen "backgrounds"

Dot Matrix    7,437

These are what Windows Phone 8.1 backgrounds will look like, according to a new leak.

post-420821-0-51449600-1393702745.jpg

These are not expected to be enabled by default, and not every tile will be able to be skinned. In fact, this option is very similar to the third party application Skinery. While this feature has yet to be confirmed, Windows Phone Central gives this rumor a solid 10/10.

more: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/1/5460576/windows-phone-8-1-start-screen-backgrounds-screenshots / http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-custom-images-live-tiles?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Active.    1,697

Neat. :)

Dot Matrix    7,437

I think I should have put this in Back Page News. Oops. :pinch:

Brandon H    3,144

i don't know why but something about that implementation bugs me

Dot Matrix    7,437

Bhqo3C3CYAAkK_5.jpg:large

• Like 2

subcld    432

yup i don't like it :sleep:

Brandon H    3,144

i prefer the background implementation in this concept better http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1202753-my-little-wp-concept/ with the slightly transparent tiles. at least it's an actual background and doesn't look weirdly out of place like in this leak

• Like 2

Dot Matrix    7,437

i prefer the background implementation in this concept better http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1202753-my-little-wp-concept/ with the slightly transparent tiles. at least it's an actual background and doesn't look weirdly out of place like in this leak

Try as I might, I just can't get on board with that concept, and I'm happy to see neither is the WP team. It's just creating too much of a busy screen, and that's not the goal of Windows Phone.

Legendary    115

Looking forward to both new features. Can't wait, especially for the more icons

I think background images can look cool if you use a very specific images, like the fairly monochrome images in the example

the better twin    364

This is what happens when you give in to the moaning people who probably wouldn't have got a windows phone anyway. Looks atrocious. There's absolutely no reason to have a background image on windows phone.

McKay    3,696

Neat. :)

Everytime someone says that I can't help but be reminded of 

post-350302-0-92735100-1393705841.jpg

This is what happens when you give in to the moaning people who probably wouldn't have got a windows phone anyway. Looks atrocious. There's absolutely no reason to have a background image on windows phone.

There's zero reason to have a wallpaper on any phone. People want it because it looks nice, to most people a phone is personal to them, and they want it to show that. If people didn't complain about missing features they'd never get added, the rate of improvement would slow down.

zhangm    1,335

Then don't use it. It's an option that's off by default.

• Like 1

George P    5,538

Well, you do this and people don't like it, you do a real background behind the tiles and people will cry that the tiles are now in the way and you can't see enough of the image anyways.   If you like it, if this is infact how it will be, then you use it, if not then don't. 

Steve B.    467

I can imagine only certain types of images would work here, gradients and patterns and the suchlike.

Photographs may not work most of the time.

the better twin    364

Everytime someone says that I can't help but be reminded of

BenderNeat.jpg

There's zero reason to have a wallpaper on any phone. People want it because it looks nice, to most people a phone is personal to them, and they want it to show that. If people didn't complain about missing features they'd never get added, the rate of improvement would slow down.

I don't see how its an improvement. The fact that the tiles spin through pics makes it an especially redundant feature in the case of windows phone. They should focus on other feature imo.

vcfan    2,338

FINALLY, microsoft is bundling a puzzle game with WP.

McKay    3,696

I don't see how its an improvement. The fact that the tiles spin through pics makes it an especially redundant feature in the case of windows phone. They should focus on other feature imo.

How is it redundant? The info on the tile cycles, but the background remains constant. 

LimeMaster    15,601

Weird and kinda cool. :) Hopefully it will let you change the text colour as well, so that the text can be readable with any set background image.

the better twin    364

Well, you do this and people don't like it, you do a real background behind the tiles and people will cry that the tiles are now in the way and you can't see enough of the image anyways. If you like it, if this is infact how it will be, then you use it, if not then don't.

id rather they stick to their original design principles though rather than pandering and creating this monstrosity. Then again I would rather they bring the gutter back.

McKay    3,696

id rather they stick to their original design principles though rather than pandering and creating this monstrosity. Then again I would rather they bring the gutter back.

If you don't like it, dont use it.

Simples.

• Like 1

123456789A    4,710

FINALLY, microsoft is bundling a puzzle game with WP.

IMG_3719.jpg

• Like 1

the better twin    364

How is it redundant? The info on the tile cycles, but the background remains constant.

I'm on about the photo tile and people tiles. They add the personal element to windows phone that removes the need for a background imo.

McKay    3,696

I'm on about the photo tile and people tiles. They add the personal element to windows phone that removes the need for a background imo.

You have to go out of your way to enable this, so Im sure if people do, and those tiles bother them, they will move them.

Active.    1,697

Would be nice to have that option (i.e. the transparent tiles) on Windows 8, too.