[UK] Cost of first-time car insurance?

I am considering learning to drive.

I am 28 in July and male.

I am aiming for very low running costs.

I intend to buy a group 1 or 2 car.

Do you know a very rough ball-park figure that I'd be paying in insurance?

find a car on autotrader,co.uk your interested in, use the reg to fill out a comparison website.

should be reasonable because of your age - maybe ?500-?750 with the right car

also it'll cost you more if you drive more miles a year, things like leaving you car overnight on the road rather than a drive will cost you too

I looked into this for my brother a while back.  He is in his 30's, I chose an oldish Ford Fiesta and the cheapest I got on comparison sites was in the region of ?1100

I looked into this for my brother a while back. He is in his 30's, I chose an oldish Ford Fiesta and the cheapest I got on comparison sites was in the region of ?1100

If that's the case, screw it.

I've tried using the comparison sites but they ask too many questions that I can't answer until I actually find a car.

just done a comparison on a 2007 fiesta. fully comp for ?574 as a brand new 28 year old male driver, doing about 10'000 a year socially and commuting. ?1000 excess

Yeah, a grand is a good ball-park figure. It sucks, but you have to start somewhere . It's a good idea to include this in your budget when buying a car. Paying it off in full is cheaper then monthly installments. Expect it to come down by a couple of hundred a year though (assuming you don't make a claim, and you're insuring a sensible car).

That's what sucks about driving the insurance is insane once you pass. Then you have tax, the cost of the care, fuel, maintenance costs.

Like you i keep thinking i should learn, however i really dont think i could afford to actually run a car on what i earn sadly, not when paying a mortgage too.

I could get the bus / from work every day of the week and spend anywhere near what i would on running a car, would just be nice for going somewhere on a weekend.

In group 1/2, the postcode will matter more than the car.

I paid ?1500 for my first year, third party fire and theft, largely because I live in London.

It will probably work out cheaper if you can go on someone else's insurance. Also in some cases you'll still get your no claims bonus.

Which will lower your insurance when it you comes to insuring on your own.

You're definitely looking at >?500, probably ?750+ unless you get lucky. I started driving at 22 and paid ?1200 for the privilege :P.

You're outside of the 17-24 bracket, which will play to your advantage, but first timers always get totally screwed. That said, try the comparison sites and get a ballpark figure. You don't need to know every detail of a car you don't own. Just find a car you like, put your address and postcode in, give your details and fudge the rest. That will give you a decent ballpark figure.

We can't give you a reliable quote because we don't know your postcode, marital status, preferred car, etc, etc. But don't expect it to be less than ?500-600. If it's any consolation, insurance premiums come down drastically after your first year. Mine went something like this:

2010/2011: ?1200

2011/2012: ?700

2012/2013: ?400

2013/2014: ?850

2014/2015: ?500

(In year 4 I bought a sports car, so I got bent over on insurance again for being a driver under thirty).

If anything, it's still worth learning to drive. You don't necessarily have to get a car until you can afford it, but it can certainly be helpful to have a full driving license. You never know when you're going to need to rent a car, or drive someone in an emergency (as long as your insured to drive!). It's also a life skill that you can tick off :)

Age 25 (2 months before I turned 26):

?2400 (Fully comp) for a Vaux Corsa 1.2 05 model with Admiral and that was with Multicar discount and ?500 voluntary excess ?250 compulsory.

Granted I bought the car and insurance 4 days after passing.

I am considering learning to drive.

I am 28 in July and male.

I am aiming for very low running costs.

I intend to buy a group 1 or 2 car.

Do you know a very rough ball-park figure that I'd be paying in insurance?

There is no way to answer this, its highly dependant on the area you live, the mileage you do, engine size, age of car and yourself, your job can even effect it.

Then past that, comprehensive or third parts, excess levels also have a big effect.

My girlfriend just passed her test at 23 and its ?550 for a 1.6 VW Golf

I'm 25, been driving since I was 17 have 5 years No Claims, but because I do 20,000 miles a year my insurance is about ?600 for a 1.8 Honda Civic (should be a lot cheaper than hers but the mileage causes it to go up).

I know other 23 years olds who live in not so nice areas and for like a 1l fiesta or corsa etc.. is ?3000...

You need to go on a site, bite the bullet and put in some details else you'll never find out if its affordable for you.

Got my first car aged 22, a 1.2 polo. Was ?1200 a year to insure. I'm coming up on my renewal and they've said it will be ?500 for the second year because I didn't claim throughout the year.

Insurance is drastically cheaper after you turn 25 regardless of previous experience. I just did two quotes on a 2009 Peugeot 107 as an experiment, one at 23 and one at 28, with no claims, the prices were ?1400 and ?650 respectively. 

Useful points to note:

Not only is a comprehensive package better than a third party, the companies are expecting first time drivers to save money on a third party only package, so the comprehensive option can end up both cheaper and providing better cover. 

Where you live and how your car is stored make huge changes to your insurance.

If you don't mind being spied on, you can save about ?300 by having a gps tracker installed in your car.

Note that many companies will only insure people with long histories of good driving, as such they have policies that offer new drivers around ?2000 - ?4000 (!), but these drop down to more normal levels as you gain experience, this is because these companies really don't want your business as a new driver.

Don't always go for the cheapest insurance company, some companies offer much more generous levels of service for ?20 or ?30 extra per year.

Don't set a high excess if you can't afford to pay it in a potential accident. The amount your policy goes down is a few pounds per hundred that you voluntarily add to any excess.

After finding your perfect company on a comparison site, call them up and try and negotiate a better deal. The deal I liked best after using a comparison site was with Admiral, so I called them up direct and saved a further ?10 on a ?340 policy! 

• Like 1

The most important thing is that first years no claims bonus.
It WILL half your insurance.

Unless you have that, no matter if you are over 30 or what, the first year will be sky high.

Some questions just straight out lie ...... tell them when you signed up you were working but got fired or something.

Or don't.
Certainly in the UK< if anything changes you need to inform the insurance company otherwise if you have an accident, they won't pay out.

• Like 1

Hello,

Or don't.

Certainly in the UK< if anything changes you need to inform the insurance company otherwise if you have an accident, they won't pay out.

Typical question:

Do you park your car in:

1: The public street

2: A residential public parking

3: A open garage

4: A close garage

If you have a garage where your parent's park only their Ferrari, just say you have a close garage and period. You'll slim something down out of your insurance.

You think they are really gonna check if you live, for example, in strange out there rural area?

minimum youll pay is ?1000. When I first started driving at 19, my first insurance was ?1200 and that was for a 2001 Renault Megane Coupe, sports version :). Dont know how I got it so cheap, other companies were asking for ?7000.

At the moment I'm paying around ?500 for a 54 plate Fiesta with 6 years no claims.

Your first year is always going to hurt im afraid, for me to get insured on a '98 1.1 Saxo was ?1300!

Passed my test 2 years ago, age 27.

First car was a Pug 106 X Reg.

Parked on public road overnight in what is classed as City centre.

Insurance was ~?450 (Admiral)

When I lived in the UK I was paying like 500 quid a year to insure my small car fully comp.

Came to Canada and my wife and I are paying about $2k a year for a policy that covers us on our bog standard toyota. Wife has had her licence here for like 5 years. I've had mine coming up to 2 years (converted my UK one) and I'm pushing 30yrs old. The hilarious bit is the price we pay is considered a pretty good deal.

Never thought I'd miss UK insurance prices lol. Sure petrol works out at like 70p a litre but I drive a lot more distance here. 1600 kilometre round trip to Chicago next week for example :s

It might be worth looking into getting a contract hire car,

I avoided all those speedbumps mentioned above, by being a named driver on my dad's motability car, ok I didn't pay for the insurance, but they did take into account 3 years of driving without a claim

(technically at the time, this wasn't considered ncb, but it helped)

Another option available, is going to dealers like Peugeot or Citroen, some of their low group cars when bought new come with free insurance for the first year...

(But I'm assuming you have the finances to do so..)

When I lived in the UK I was paying like 500 quid a year to insure my small car fully comp.

Came to Canada and my wife and I are paying about $2k a year for a policy that covers us on our bog standard toyota. Wife has had her licence here for like 5 years. I've had mine coming up to 2 years (converted my UK one) and I'm pushing 30yrs old. The hilarious bit is the price we pay is considered a pretty good deal.

Never thought I'd miss UK insurance prices lol. Sure petrol works out at like 70p a litre but I drive a lot more distance here. 1600 kilometre round trip to Chicago next week for example :s

lol left in the early to mid nineties eh?

it's ?1.40 a litre now :p

Passed my test 2 years ago, age 27.

First car was a Pug 106 X Reg.

Parked on public road overnight in what is classed as City centre.

Insurance was ~?450 (Admiral)

Ooh, ?450 would be fantastic :)

If you want to pm me some details i will run some quotes for you :)