Should Windows Xp Die?

Should Windows Xp Die?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Should Windows Xp Die?

Nope, XP will never die, never!

It cannot die as it is still heavily used, atms, store checkouts etc...

So it is impossible for it to die

It will go on, it will survive

As long as I know how to love I know I'll stay alive

I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give and I'll survive, I will surv...

Sorry, got carried away

:p

Yes, it is past its prime, but, I will say this, Embedded devices still have a lot of useful life left (WINDOWS XP EMBEDDED) is still supported till 2016. So in the enterprise workstation and server space yes, in the embedded space, no, not yet at least.

Die as in suddenly stop working once it gets past its expiration date? Nah that would just be silly, never mind the backlash. (And probably illegal.)  But die as in dropping support?  Absolutely.  It's had more than it's fair share of support time, no other OS gets supported that long, shouldn't have to make an exception because some people can't bother to upgrade. 

Embedded as mentioned above is still in support for two years yet.. clock's ticking, time to make a decision. Don't wait until 2016 and act all surprised when support disappears.

But embedded aside, it's really time to let it go. No more updates or support. Third parties will sooner or later drop support. If you're a gamer there's already some that don't support XP. New exploits that get found will leave your butt hanging out in the breeze. And if you hate 8, fine, 7's supported till 2020, and it even runs reeealy old software just fine, shoot as a larf I even had Visual Studio 6.0 installed in a sandbox for a while, still worked. Opinion of course, but it's not even that good of an OS, wasn't much of a fan even when it was new.  This isn't something that came out of nowhere, had years of warning.

If it's ye olde 486 holding you back then it might be time to ponder a Linux alternative till you can put that doorstop to rest, probably not the ideal option but at least you won't be left hanging for security updates. New systems will already have newer versions of Windows on it.

That said, in my house anyway...
JustDieAlready.gif

Needs to die a painful death

I would say that after 04/08 only a moron would leave any XP system connected to the internet, it will be exploited in minutes 

Needs to die a painful death

I would say that after 04/08 only a moron would leave any XP system connected to the internet, it will be exploited in minutes 

That's not how it works..

XP is a relic from a time before everyone had always on internet.

Whilst I can certainly accept that not everyone likes Windows 8, sticking with XP is not the answer. If you want to keep the familiar interface you are used to, move to Windows 7.

Apart from it supporting an awful lot more software, it's a lot more secure and a lot better architecturally.

Yes, XP should die, but it won't just yet.

The question is so simplistic that it can't even be answered properly. Questions like this shouldn't be asked, because there is no "yes" or "no" answer, you are talking about something that has been around so long and is so complexly in our society and world. And why even ask such a simplistic question, because the end result of Windows XP isn't dictated by any one person or group of people, it's dictated by each entity as a whole, in the world, phasing out XP and moving forward.

Shoot you might as well ask should roaches or ebola die.

Unfortunately the users disagree with us. I wrote here a few comments on why there is no reason to ever upgrade anymore as one user in wired.com referred to it as "... in Oct 2001 MS introduced the idea of a mature and secure OS. Therefore there is no reason to ever change ... etc"

It is frustrating as computers really are not the same as refrigerators that will always be secure simple and last 20 years and will perform the same etc. But users are not smart and do not know about security.

If they hit the power button and it turns on they wont ever change.

For the companies that still run it I hope the IT guys are fired! Anyone competent will switch to a secure OS or will quit if the cost accountants are morons. That is negligence. XP will live for decades to come sadly. At work I have no problem in embedded machinery not connected to the internet or LAN.

... and to answer why change?

XP sucks when it comes to security. Like IE 6 it is a security NIGHTMARE.

It is from a different era back when aol on a moden meant being hi tech and good security meant a password. NT had security features for corporate access like security file permissions and networking features etc. But not for cracking. Stack smashing, buffer overloads, redirectors where you can freaking impersonate and administrator when printing (DEAD SERIOUS ON THAT). Impersonation service what were they thinking! Device driver kits that can be installed as software with no hardware run on the kernel/os itself as a regular user!??

The list goes on and on. It is not designed to handle the internet today.

Also it does not have any GPU or graphics accelerated support at all with no WDDM so aero and font rendering and video smoothness does not exist, in addition to non existent security for untrusted networks.

Windows 7 is a big improvement in both. Corporations were the first to leave Win 98, I am shocked to see they have become reactionary today and afraid of change as security increases mean lower insurance and less costs of support.

The real question is what to do when Win 7 goes EOL.

There is no reason to leave that unlike XP which people still use even with the deficiencies listed.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!

No, why should XP die when it is working fine. MS not providing security patch, which still exist in their flawed OS even after a decade, is not going to be really much of the issue as it is being projected. This farce will be same as Y2K bug when it was being claimed that world is going to end because all nuclear plants are going to explode, satellites are going to collide yada yada... I am sure XP fulfills so many people's demand that they should be perfectly fine using it even though MS is not going to provide any security patch. 

No, why should XP die when it is working fine.

By that logic people should have never upgraded to XP from 9x.  Heck, better than that we should all be using DOS 1.0 still since it is still "working fine" too right?

Why do users feel the need to anthropomorphize Windows XP by asking if it should 'die'? Wouldn't any of these sample questions be better?

• "Do you think Windows XP support should be extended (or terminated)?"
  • "Do you feel that Microsoft is being fair?"
  • "Do you feel that Windows XP still has a purpose in today's computing environment?"
  • "Can you think of any scenarios that would justify the use of Windows XP?"

Anyway, I can think of a few reasons why one would continue to use Windows XP even beyond April 8, 2014.

• Application compatibility
    Although Windows Vista and onward offer superb application compatibility, Windows XP is undoubtedly superior when it comes to older application support. Not all users or businesses have the money (or desire) to upgrade their software.
  • Familiarity
    Microsoft unfortunately started removing a substantial amount of features from Windows, starting with Windows Vista. Not even the revered Windows 7 offers all of the missing functionality.
  • Usability
    Primarily due to reason #2 (familiarity). See above.

I understand the potential risks that one would take if they decided to use Windows XP after support is terminated - none of the points I made above mean that Windows XP has to be connected to the Internet. Even so, there are ways to mitigate attacks and I feel that at least some of the perceived threats are grossly exaggerated.

No,

It should not die. To many people still using it. Vista on the other hand, well that's for another poll!

That doesn't make any sense. Windows Vista is technologically superior to Windows XP in many ways. Why do you think it should "die" instead?

Die!? MS should be supporting it more considering it seems to be the only Windows OS with a growing market share!  :rofl: (I'm joking btw, just in case people thought I was serious)

What I find amazing is how businesses whine about actually having to spend money on new computers or software but never batter an eyelid when it comes to upgrading plant equipment. Honestly, do these idiots in management see computers as some magical device that should last for ever and never require replacement or upgrading of software? a computer is plan equipment and needs to be maintained, updated and upgraded - if you as a business cannot afford to keep things running smoothly then obviously your business model sucks and you should do a world a favour by closing up shop and finding employment elsewhere. Honestly, the warped sense of entitlement by so-many so-called 'business owners' is amazing these days.

If it is running on a computer which is not connected to the internet and is running whatever applications installed just fine, then there is no need to upgrade it just for the sake of upgrading. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." :)