WP8 doesn't require a password before resetting the device?

Nokia sent me a L1520 try out and have some fun with.  I enrolled it into our companies MDM platform and as part of the security requirements the device has to have a lock passcode on it.  No biggie I set one up.

So, my trial ended and Nokia asked for it back.  I went to reset the device back to factory defaults and was very surprised to see that it did not ask for me to enter in my passcode as confirmation before doing a device reset.  Wouldn't that be common sense?  Both iOS and Android do that.

Perhaps because it's a trial device, they removed/disabled that functionality?

It wasn't a 'trial' device in that it had a special rom.  It was att branded and I put my sim in it.  They just sent one from their inventory to use.  I am wondering if this was/is a Microsoft thing. 

Anyone have a different Nokia model and/or different make that can try it?

if you mean the factory restore reset in about, you're correct it doesn't ask for a password. it does flip the okay and cancel buttons around. you have to be pretty intentional to launch settings, open about, then scroll to the very bottom, click on the button that's called "reset", and then confirm a backward diaglogue that warns you what you're about to do. why were you expecting a password prompt?

Why would you want a password prompt? Are you afraid someone will steal your phone, somehow unlock it (assuming password lock), then reset it? You had a lock passcode... nobody can get in to your device without it anyway.

You might have noticed that it asked you multiple times if you were sure, and accidentally double tapping 'ok' won't reset the phone... the button order is switched. It would be very difficult to do accidentally.

• Like 2

I've never had my Androids prompt for password on reset.  Droid 2, 2 Touchpads, and LG Optimus.

You might be able to set one, but they don't by default.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you want a password prompt? Are you afraid someone will steal your phone, somehow unlock it (assuming password lock), then reset it? You had a lock passcode... nobody can get in to your device without it anyway.

You might have noticed that it asked you multiple times if you were sure, and accidentally double tapping 'ok' won't reset the phone... the button order is switched. It would be very difficult to do accidentally.

you want a password protection so someone does not reaet as a joke or a baby does not get that far from pushing on screen

you want a password protection so someone does not reaet as a joke or a baby does not get that far from pushing on screen

Password protect the entire device.

If you have kids and let them use your phone, set up Kids Corner:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/set-up-kids-corner

Problem solved, and probably better than you could on Android or iOS.

I'm sure there is some obscure reason to have the reset function have a passcode, but for most purposes, the device having the passcode is enough. Kid has your phone? They should only be in kids corner.

The only far fetched scenario I can come up with is... you unlocked your phone, showed someone something, they messed around in your phone and decided they wanted to do a reset. Then maybe a reset password would be nice. But then, don't give your unlocked phone to someone you really don't trust.

And here I am with my phone (iPhone) setup to INTENTIONALLY reset the phone if the wrong passcode was entered 10 times.... lol.

Edit: (Just to clarify, it resets but then requires my original iCloud passcode to re-setup.)