Accessing my public IP from my private IP...

Hello,

Virtual Server is where you will only forward a single service (or range of ports) to a particular address.

1:1 Maps everything to a particular address

So what your rule is doing is doing 1:1 NAT manually in a Virtual Server rule, it will work, but there are more boxes to fill in.

A single public IP - yes.

With multiple IPs and using the source it will allow you to have manage multiple services allocated to different IPs on the same interface, so you could run 5 mailservers on a single internet link each using port 25 on a different IP.

Loadbalancing is a whole different area of the USG, yes it will do it, but you would need a USG50 (Can't tell from the screenshot which yours is) minimum (the little USG 20 has only 1 WAN port) and you configure it in the WAN_TRUNK

The Zyxel support notes are pretty good ftp.zyxel.co.uk and look for your model.

Yup, this is a USG 50.

There is a certain learning curve when dealing with this......gateway (Ive heard people come in here and call it so many things: firewall, gateway, router, etc.....) but Ive more or less gotten the hang of it. Im hoping it breaks :shifty: so we can get a Cisco and then move on to the next next level for me personall :p but we got it a few months back so I doubt it will happen.

Hello,

Yup, this is a USG 50.

There is a certain learning curve when dealing with this......gateway (Ive heard people come in here and call it so many things: firewall, gateway, router, etc.....) but Ive more or less gotten the hang of it. Im hoping it breaks :shifty: so we can get a Cisco and then move on to the next next level for me personall :p but we got it a few months back so I doubt it will happen.

Yeah, I'm pretty used to them I support probably about 30 of them from the 20 all the way up to the 1000, they are good but like anything there is a learning curve, nice thing about the Zyxel is the USGs, the proper managed switches (GS2200 upwards) and the NWA Access Points is they share a common interface, so once you know one the others are easy to pickup.

Worth learning though as it will do pretty much anything you'd want in a sub 75 user network.

I like Cisco gear too though, got a new Cisco 1921 sitting on my desk right now actually :)

cloud.website.com to me is not a subdomain - that is a host called cloud in the website.com domain.

now if you had www.could.website.com, then that would be a host called www in the domain cloud.website.com that is a subdomain of website.com which in turn is "sub" domain of .com which in turn is "sub" off of .

What exactly did you create in the AD dns?  You need to make sure that FQDN your doing the query for answered by your AD dns, and not sent up to the forwarder or roots or your going to get the public IP..  The whole point of resolving FQDN to your local IP is to remove the use of nat reflection when accessing fqdn that are actually on your local network.

If your pointing cloud.website.com to an IP, in the technical sense its not a subdomain - domains are not really suppose to point to an IP.. Sure it makes it easier sometimes - but an IP should really be an A record.  So if your pointing cloud.website.com to an IP, cloud should be an A record in the website.com domain.

What did you actually create in your AD dns - a A record in website.com for cloud or did you create a new zone (domain) called cloud.website.com - and what records did you put in there?

Hello,

cloud.website.com to me is not a subdomain - that is a host called cloud in the website.com domain.

now if you had www.could.website.com, then that would be a host called www in the domain cloud.website.com that is a subdomain of website.com which in turn is "sub" domain of .com which in turn is "sub" off of .

What exactly did you create in the AD dns?  You need to make sure that FQDN your doing the query for answered by your AD dns, and not sent up to the forwarder or roots or your going to get the public IP..  The whole point of resolving FQDN to your local IP is to remove the use of nat reflection when accessing fqdn that are actually on your local network.

If your pointing cloud.website.com to an IP, in the technical sense its not a subdomain - domains are not really suppose to point to an IP.. Sure it makes it easier sometimes - but an IP should really be an A record.  So if your pointing cloud.website.com to an IP, cloud should be an A record in the website.com domain.

What did you actually create in your AD dns - a A record in website.com for cloud or did you create a new zone (domain) called cloud.website.com - and what records did you put in there?

I made a forward lookup zone named "cloud.website.com". Inside there I created a new A record with no name and it points to a LAN IP.

Im not trying to do NAT loopback on my router with this; I read your advice and decided to go down this route, since basically its the same thing but with a hostname.

BudMan, completely off topic, but does Windows Server 2012 R2 allow you to change language per user when viewing the server GUI? Im almost completely sure I cant do it in WS2003SBS so with WS2012R2 it would be nice to put MY user in english so I can screenshot, follow tutorials, etc. This is completely offtopic but just wondering.

(Also for some odd reason Ive noticed a week or two ago your sig is broken)

I would have to fire up 2012r2 to test the language thing - I only ever worry about english ;)

I don't normally have signatures on - but when went into cp, yup  the image was broken - maybe they changed it, so redid - should be ok now?  thanks!

Did you forward zone called website.com already?  Why did you not just create A record in website.com called cloud and point it to your IP?

Hello,

Did you forward zone called website.com already?  Why did you not just create A record in website.com called cloud and point it to your IP?

I made a forward zone called "cloud.website.com". Then there I created a blank no named A record pointing it to the IP.

Is there a reason you ask?

Hello,

Semirelated, today, Ive been told that in the past the DNS server on the WS sometimes stopped all of a sudden. That DNS server is f'd up. No doubt Im starting from scratch again the DNS come this summer...