Windows 8.1 and Codec Packs

Most users on here install Codec packs in windows?  I've always installed K-Lite Codec Pack and never had any issues (always use the MPC video player also)

I never used any codec pack

both my 7 and 8.1 machines play media fine with and without vlc installed

(including dvd's)

What format of file are you having trouble with?

K-Lite Full pack if you want full DVD playback with WMP (DRM supported) and the least troubles since it checks for broken codecs. If you use default settings it also picks the best codec for each format as chosen by their community.

K-Lite Full pack if you want full DVD playback with WMP (DRM supported) and the least troubles since it checks for broken codecs. If you use default settings it also picks the best codec for each format as chosen by their community.

Even then I wouldn't honestly recommend to anyone to install a codec pack, especially K-Lite. If it was a Windows 8.x user, I'd recommend them to purchase the Media Center upgrade before trying a crappy codec pack.

Yup I dont bother with codecs either in Win7 or 8. You have to be careful, some install malware. If it wont play, I'll use something to convert it to a format windows can play. Dont really play DVDs on these. I'll play them on the bluray player. Which can play most formats.

DVD X player if its DVD would probably be enough for me. As it can play any zone DVD

Even then I wouldn't honestly recommend to anyone to install a codec pack, especially K-Lite. If it was a Windows 8.x user, I'd recommend them to purchase the Media Center upgrade before trying a crappy codec pack.

There's nothing crappy about that codec pack, it's been available for more than a decade, never came with any adware and also is the only one that has always registered/unregistered all the filters properly. Never had any problem with it.

• Like 1

Besides that it's redundant, bloated with unnecessary codecs and utilities like MMSwitch (which is utterly broken and depreciated) and that the most common crashes with media files can be directly attributed to use of the K-Lite Codec Pack, right? Out of all the codec packs, K-Lite is the absolute worst but if you must insist on using a codec pack, use something like Combined Community Codec Pack instead.

Back in XP days and before I played with codec packs. It always gave trouble. It doesn't magically make WMP run MKV's without a hitch. I tried it once more on 7 and the issue was the same. Most non-standard codecs are god-awful in performance in WMP. So IMO there is no use if i still have to use a 3rd party video player :/

Just go with VLC or DAUM Potplayer, both are better media players as what comes with Windows OOTB anyways.

Just go with VLC or DAUM Potplayer, both are better media players as what comes with Windows OOTB anyways.

I can't stress this enough. If you're more technical, MPC-HC setup to use LAV Filters or ffdshow should be sufficient enough.

My current setup consists of MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR + ReClock + XY-Subfilter and I can't say I have a single issue with playback of any media file.

Never had any issues with K-Lite (Standard) and I've had it for years. That being said, I'm not going to use it after my next Windows reinstall since all the players have their own codecs anyway. I'll see how that goes.

As of MPC-HC v1.7.0, they use internal LAV Filters now. So in that case, you'll be more than fine running MPC-HC without anything else. Excellent, didn't even notice that - I can redo my setup this weekend!

As of MPC-HC v1.7.0, they use internal LAV Filters now. So in that case, you'll be more than fine running MPC-HC without anything else. Excellent, didn't even notice that - I can redo my setup this weekend!

I'm too lazy to manually installing the LAV filters or anything else. Is MPC-HC releasing stable versions with the built-ins yet? I've been using CCCP for years just not to deal with the hassle and because it was the one codec pack that didn't cause other misc. issues.

Besides that it's redundant, bloated with unnecessary codecs and utilities like MMSwitch (which is utterly broken and depreciated) and that the most common crashes with media files can be directly attributed to use of the K-Lite Codec Pack, right? Out of all the codec packs, K-Lite is the absolute worst but if you must insist on using a codec pack, use something like Combined Community Codec Pack instead.

What? There are different editions and you can chose every codec or utility installed, also MMSwitch has been out from the pack for a long, long while, I think that was used back in the XP days. The latest Mega pack uses LAV/ffdshow and the only utilities selected are codec tweak tool, mediainfo lite and graphstudionext. I really can't see anything bad in it, it even offers a LAV-only configuration (plus it's both x86 and x64). I also don't see how it could be the worst and CCCP the best when on many websites CCCP has lower review averages than K-lite packs.