There's Pretty Much No Reason To Buy A Ouya Anymore

DirtyLarry

There's Pretty Much No Reason To Buy A Ouya Anymore

Source: KOTAKU

mqwo5089egmmm0hkejye.jpg

First came the Ouya Android microconsole. Then came Mad Catz's M.O.J.O. Android microconsole. Today Mad Catz announces the M.O.J.O. microconsole will be playing host to Ouya content. I am so confused.

This is all due to Ouya's recent decision to allow the Ouya experience to be embedded in other Android devices. They call it Ouya Anywhere. It basically takes the software that runs the Ouya ? the storefront and such ? and turns it into an app for other devices.

So the M.O.J.O., a more powerful Android microconsole (it runs on Tegra 4 to the Ouya's Tegra 3 chip), now gives Android gamers access to all of the exclusive content the Ouya folks worked so hard to acquire. Plus all the existing Android games the Ouya couldn't play.

The M.O.J.O. console does cost twice as much as Ouya's physical presence, reduced today to $199, but it's far more powerful and comes with a much better controller.

Who needs a Ouya now? Nobody, really. This Ouya Anywhere initiative effectively kills any reason to buy the physical product.

But that's okay. Ouya CEO and founder Julie Uhrman, via official press release, is just pleased to take the box out of the console experience.

"Up until now, the game console experience has been locked inside a box," said Julie Uhrman, CEO and founder of OUYA. "Together with the hardware veterans at Mad Catz, we end that. Today's announcement signifies the inception of a truly open platform where independent developers can bring their creations to the platforms where gamers actually play: everywhere.

This is pretty much a total admission of defeat IMHO. The one thing the OUYA had going for it was its own little ecosystem. Opening that up to others really can be seen as them admitting they failed on their initial vision.

With that said, why MadCatz thinks anyone would pay $199 for that experience, even if their hardware is better than the OUYA's, is bewildering to myself. They clearly did not price it accordingly, again IMHO.

If someone is somehow still interested in the OUYA itself just PM me. I will sell my hardly used one for very cheap.  :laugh:

I really do need to explore what if anything the homebrew community was able to do with the OUYA itself. I am sure someone out there had to figure out some decent use for it by now. 

I still support the overall premise behind OUYA itself, but I think it is safe to completely say R.I.P. OUYA.  :pinch:

• Like 1
protocol7

Did anyone buy these anyway?

This guy did:

• Like 2
+Jester124

i have one... it works great with xbmc.  It even streams my 1080p content without any problems.  At $99 you can't go wrong and they are often on sale for $75 at my local Target.

TruckWEB

I have one and it's collecting dust.  Crap controller, old Tegra 3.  I use it for the emulators, it's nice to play old games from other consoles...!

The Evil Overlord

Actually, if it's a good media streamer for my pc..... :shifty:

• Like 1
firey

I didn't know there was a reason to buy one in the first place.

• Like 4
trooper11

Well an android gaming console was hard enough to sell @ $99, this madcatz model @ $199 has an even smaller chance of succeeding.

I just think that the core concept here is flawed. There simply is no demand from the gamers that would want a gaming console for an under powered device that is limited to android based games. Android as a gaming platform is not nearly as 'core' focused as would be needed to drive demand.

_dandy_

I don't know.  If you don't have an Android device at all to begin with, the $99 console still makes sense to me.

trooper11

Ok, maybe there is some demand, but I just dont think the demand is very high.

Until android as a platform is offering true 'core' gaming, there just isnt room for a gaming console that runs it beyond some sort of niche. Right now, its basically taking smartphone gaming and putting it on your TV.

Dotdot

Could it be that the eco-system of micro-transactions and f2p have killed any shred of life android gaming had in it?

Skyfrog

The only reason I would want one is for running emulators. I'm currently using an old softmodded Xbox which works really great for them, but it is kind of loud.

• Like 3
+LostCat

I might consider the Madcatz one.  Ouya didn't seem worth the 100.

Zlain

There was no demand for tablets and look how that turned out. I think this shows promise but I'd rather see a system where you could play steam and android games rather than one of the two. 

trooper11

There was no demand for tablets and look how that turned out. I think this shows promise but I'd rather see a system where you could play steam and android games rather than one of the two.

The problem with that comparison is that a tablet is an all around device. Its not focused on a single use.

These android gaming consoles are focused on a single use and that means you wont see demand grow beyond that niche of gamers that want android gaming content.

+Asmodai

I would say selling for half the price is a pretty good reason.  Sure a device that costs twice as much is going to be better.  Personally though I'd rather wait and see if the Vita TV is going to come to the U.S. then get a MadCatz M.O.J.O. if I were looking for a micro-console at all (which is a very small market to begin with).

compl3x

"Any more" implies there was once a time when there was a reason. 

I have no doubt the makers were really enthusiastic and it seems they listened to user feedback, but that just might not be enough.

Circaflex

This is not true at all, I have mine setup as an XBMC box and replaced my boxee box. For 70 bucks it made sense.

• Like 1
n_K

The only reason I would want one is for running emulators. I'm currently using an old softmodded Xbox which works really great for them, but it is kind of loud.

Boot up XBMC and adjust the fan speed ;)

• Like 2
DirtyLarry

Lack of DTS support made it not a very good XBMC solution for myself. I have a receiver and content capable of DTS, yet for whatever reason (unless they finally fixed it after months of no support) it did not support DTS. That made me fall back to my PS3 and Universal Media Server which does support DTS.

Max Norris

Heh still got a couple of those laying around, did pretty well at the time for XBMC.. no HD and such but it worked.  (Retired, replaced by a central DVR which does videos now.)

D. S.

Wait, were there even reasons to buy an OUYA at all? It was an Android phone that could output to HDMI. None of the games it had were good and it had a ton of scams going on in Kickstarter that milked their development funds for timed exclusives that weren't even worthy of being called shovelware.

Alladaskill17

Was there ever a good reason to buy one? ;)

..no

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Asher Madan
      Xbox Black Friday Sale features Battlefield, Dead Space, and more
      by Asher Madan

Every week, Microsoft and select publishers discount a number of titles for weekly Deals with Gold, Spotlight, and Publisher sales. This week, games from the Battlefield, Dead Space, and other franchises are available for substantially less. There's also a Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale going on.

Below, you'll find the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 games with their respective discounts. Xbox Live Gold members receive additional discounts on a number of titles through the paid subscription which is denoted with an asterisk.

Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One
      Xbox 360
      Many of the Xbox 360 games appear to be backward compatible so you'll be able to play them on your Xbox One and the Xbox Series X|S. Currently, Microsoft isn't adding any more backward compatible titles to the program, but that should change in 2021.

Which titles are you interested in? Did you pick any up? Let us know in the comments below.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Halo 4 finally on PC, more Fluent icons, and optional updates
      by Florin Bodnarescu

The last week brought Halo 4 for the first time to PC players the world over, a Fluent Design upgrade for Edge icons showed up – as well as multiple new features -, plus some security fixes for a range of Windows 10 versions. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of November 15 - 21.

Halo 4 finally on PC

After much anticipation, the final title in the Master Chief Collection, aka Halo 4, has finally arrived on PC. Bringing cross-play support and a bunch of new enhancements, the game is now live on Steam, the Microsoft Store and Xbox Game Pass for PC. If you’re curious as to what exactly the title has to offer, do take a peek at the review that’s currently up, in which our very own Pulasthi Ariyasinghe calls the FPS a “satisfying conclusion to the Master Chief Collection”.

Continuing with the first-party news, Sea of Thieves has received its November update, complete with a range of bug fixes, upgrades to Treasure Vault voyages, performance improvements, and much, much more. The update comes in at 6GB on Windows 10, Xbox One X, and Xbox Series X, with the One S and Series S owners receiving a slightly smaller 5GB update. Steam owners are the luckiest with a measly 3.6GB required to download.

And since we mentioned it, before we get back to the game news, it’s worth interjecting with the fact that new Xbox Series S orders may arrive after the holidays. This is because, unsurprisingly, the Series S is out of stock.

Returning to first-party games, Minecraft has just gotten a new Star Wars-themed DLC, and if that’s not quite what you want to be playing this week, there’s always a bunch of Deals with Gold to browse, including ones for Code Vein, Dark Souls, Ace Combat 7, and much more.

Ending this section is a bit of gameplay from both the Xbox One X and Series X for CD Projekt RED’s upcoming open-world RPG, Cyberpunk 2077. Switching between the two consoles frequently, the video highlights interiors, exteriors, combat, and other NPC interactions.

More Fluent icons

Regardless of your opinion of the new Edge, one major change in comparison to the Legacy version is that the browser gets updated more frequently than before.

As such, everybody in the Dev and Canary channels can now start using the text comments in PDFs feature. If you haven’t gotten it yet, the Dev build is 88.0.702, in case you want to try out this capability.

There are also new features added to Edge this month, like an improved copy-paste experience, better integration with Bing rewards, new shopping features, and much more.

Staying on the subject of improvements, now when you open history, it will show a pop-up window which allows you to more easily navigate through your previously opened links. Furthermore, you’re now able to pin a history icon next to the address bar for easy access.

Microsoft was also eager to share the fact that Edge WebView2 is now available for .NET. This, for folks not aware, is the Chromium Edge equivalent of Project Spartan’s (old Edge) EdgeHTML-based WebView. Additionally, the Redmond firm also aims to stop Chromium browsers from launching with elevated privileges.

Finally, for those of you who wish the company would just stop for a second and update everything to its (for now) unified Fluent Design system, there’s good news. Chromium Edge is going to be getting a new set icons to bring the entire experience more in line with the company’s design aesthetic du jour. The first phase is currently being rolled out.

Optional updates

If you’ve been running Windows 10 for a while, you’ll be aware that Microsoft also releases optional updates from time to time, beyond its Patch Tuesday patches.

If you’re on 1809, or the October 2018 Update, you’ll get KB4594442, which bumps up the build number to 17763.1579 and addresses a security bug with Kerberos authentication and ticket renewal. If you’re running the Anniversary Update (1607), that same fix will come through for you as KB4594441, bumping the build number up to 14393.4048, while folks on the May 2019 Update (1903) and November 2019 Update (1909) will be getting KB4594443, with builds 18362.1199 and 18363.1199, respectively.

Finally, those on either the May 2020 Update (2004) or October 2020 Update (20H2) will receive KB4594440, with builds 19041.631 and 19042.631.

Microsoft was busy releasing even more builds however, so here’s what else you need to be on the lookout for:

May 2019 Update / November 2019 Update (1903/1909): KB4586819, builds 18362.1237 / 18363.1237 – fixes a bug that causes Edge to open in the background when the device is in tablet mode, as well as bugs with USB 3.0 hubs, Narrator, and WMR headsets running in lower resolution modes. October 2018 Update (1809) Enterprise, Education: KB4586839, build 17763.1613 – fixes the same bugs for the version above, as well as the issue which may cause the HDD to fill up in certain error situations. The known issues for all updates above remain the same ones outlined in the Patch Tuesday wave of updates.

In other news, Microsoft will not release any optional Windows 10 cumulative updates in December. This applies to preview updates (so basically A, C, and D wave updates, rather the B wave ones which come with Patch Tuesday every month). This is due to “minimal operations during the holidays and the upcoming Western new year”.

Over in the Insider Dev channel, the company unleashed build 20262 with a number of fixes, as well as 20262.1010, the of which was simply a Cumulative Update to test out the servicing pipeline.

Dev channel
      Polls in Teams meetings have now started rolling out. New Power Apps and Dataverse are now generally available for Teams. Photoshop Beta is now available for ARM-based Windows 10 and macOS devices. WinUI 3 Preview 3 is now out, featuring ARM64 support. Dynamics 365 Project Operations has been announced, aimed at service-based businesses in India. Microsoft 365 is now available from datacenters in Brazil. The November updates for Microsoft 365 include new Teams apps, among other features. Teams personal features are now rolling out on desktop and the web. The Surface Studio 2 has gotten new firmware updates to fix audio performance and stability, with the Go 2 and Book 3 now available for purchase in India. Logging off
      We cap things off with a new security chip that Microsoft intends to introduce for Windows-based devices.

In what the firm will be dubbing Pluton going forward, Microsoft has announced essentially the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip equivalent, but integrated on the SoC.

Seen in other solutions like the Xbox consoles or Azure Sphere, this is basically an intersection of software and hardware to provide the benefits of TPM chips in terms of security, but (currently) none of the drawbacks. Specifically, since TPM is separate from the CPU, perpetrators are able to target the channel between the CPU and TPM chip with their attacks.

Working with AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm on the solution – with AMD being the first to use it -, Microsoft says that the Pluton chip will work with BitLocker and System Guard, and that information can’t be removed from the chip via malware or any other way.

Integrated with Windows Update in the same way Azure Sphere Security Service integrates with IoT devices, the chip will make sure that firmware updates come directly from Microsoft.

There’s currently no word as to when we’ll be seeing the chip’s debut in PCs.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Looking back at Android games which were all the rage back in the day
      by Usama Jawad

Fame is a fickle food, and this is especially true when it comes to the tech landscape. It's not surprising to see pieces of tech, whether it be hardware, software, or even companies being heralded as the next big thing, only to be forgotten in a relatively short amount of time.

In this piece, we will take a look at a specific niche with the respect to the above, and that is the world of Android games. Over the past few years, we have seen tons of titles which were being played by millions around the globe but now do not command a strong user base. Before we begin, it is important to remember that this is by no means an exhaustive list and neither is it in any particular order. Popularity of games differ region to region and it's possible that even though you may have heard of most of these games in the past decade or so, they might not be big names in your circle. With that out of the way, let's begin!

Angry Birds
      Image via ryancustard13 This 2010 blockbuster from Rovio Entertainment was all the rage back in the day. The title had a simple and silly premise: launch the titular Angry Birds at pigs who have stolen your eggs and are now hiding in destructible structures. Coupled with an addictive theme song, there was a weird satisfaction in killing pigs with birds - many of which had special powers - and it offered great replay value.

With over 100 million installs on Android alone, Angry Birds was popular among all age groups. Seeing its popularity, Rovio was able to partner with various franchises such as Star Wars, Rio, and Transformers, among others and release various sequels and spinoffs. None reached the heights of the original but managed to find their dedicated audiences nonetheless. Unfortunately, Angry Birds as well as most of its spinoffs are not available to download any more because Rovio has decided to shift focus to its newer titles.

Temple Run and Subway Surfers
      Image via 91Mushrooms Even though I have coupled these two titles together because they are extremely similar in premise, this should not diminish their respective popularity. Both these games are endless runners, which simply mean that you control a character that's running on an endless path and you have to swipe to dodge obstacles and change directions while picking up power-ups and coins along the way.

While Temple Run had you being chased by demonic monkeys in a temple in a jungle, Subway Surfers had you on the run from an inspector who has seen you spray graffiti on a trains on the subway. Even though the two games were extremely similar, both enjoyed immense popularity at their peak, and it was not surprising to see both installed on someone's Android device. The two games are still updated from time to time with new content and bug fixes.

Clash of Clans

This freemium strategy game landed on Android back in 2013, tasking players with building up their clans, attacking other players to loot their resources, and defending against attacks your their own bases. Clash of Clans was extremely popular among players who liked city-building games due to the diverse content it offered, coupled with its focus on playing with your friends. The title received its latest update just this month and is still available on Google Play with a smaller, but dedicated, player base.

Asphalt 8: Airborne
      Image via AndroidSpin Back in the early 2010s, Gameloft was commanding the wave of "console quality" games on smartphones with games like Six Guns, Modern Combat, Real Football. But perhaps nothing from its portfolio stood out more than Asphalt 8: Airborne. This arcade racer offered amazing graphics for the time, addictive gameplay, fun race tracks, a huge roster of cars, and a respectable playlist. It also featured seasonal content to keep the game fresh and keep pulling in players back for more. Up until 2015, it was almost impossible to find someone who hadn't given the game a go at least once.

While the Asphalt series has several other spinoffs and sequels, none have been able to match Asphalt 8: Airborne in popularity. The title is still updated with new content from time to time.

Candy Crush Saga

Love it or hate it, there's no denying that Candy Crush Saga was a huge hit on Android. While there are people who hate the game primarily because of the pesky Facebook notifications they kept receiving from their friends, the freemium title raked in truckloads of money via in-app purchases for its developers, publishers and any platform who hosted it.

While it didn't bring anything new to the match-3 genre, it was successful in reeling in millions of players due to its colorful visuals, fantastic sound design, and thousands upon thousands of levels. It's impossible to not have heard of the game in the past decade, unless you've been living under a rock. It's still updated with new levels to this day, and people just can't seem to get enough of it.

Plants vs. Zombies
      Image via Android Games Originally planned to be released as Lawn of the Dead, this PopCap-developed game was released under the Plants vs. Zombies moniker on PC platforms back in 2009. It was later ported to consoles and smartphone devices, with the release on the latter platform published by Electronic Arts.

The premise of this game was quite silly. Waves of zombies are heading towards your home via your front lawn, and it is your job to "catch" sunlight and grow plants that will launch different attacks to kill the undead. Due to the range of plants that you could grow, different gameplay strategies that you could try out, various game modes, and an impressive variety of zombies, this title packed great replay value. A few sequels of the game have come out in the past few years but the original can still be downloaded from Google Play.

Fruit Ninja

Perhaps the most simple title in terms of gameplay in this list. The concept of Fruit Ninja was quite straightforward: Swipe your finger across the fruit flying across your screen to slice it. Depending upon the game mode you were engaged in, there were various objectives you had to achieve within the given time limit.

Despite its simple premise, this 2010 game managed to garner hundreds of millions of users due to its addictive nature, and you can still find it on Google Play here.

Jetpack Joyride
      Also from the developers of Fruit Ninja, this is yet another endless runner game of sorts. However, what sets it apart from the likes of Temple Runner and Subway Surfers is that it is a 2D sidescroller instead of a 3D game. You control the character of Barry Steakfries as he uses his jetpacks and other power-ups along the way to dodge various obstacles and reach the end of the science lab before the other scientists.

Despite stiff competition of seemingly visually superior endless runner, this 2012 game managed to hold its own and has nearly a billion players. It was updated on Google Play just a couple of days ago.

Flappy Bird

This is a bit of an odd one. Made by Vietnamese developer Dong Nguyen, this simple-on-paper game tasked you to tap on the screen to make a bird fly between Mario-like green pipes. If the bird even slightly touches a pipe, it's game over. With very simple 2D graphics, this game became notorious for its throw-your-phone-at-the-wall difficulty and was downloaded en masse several months after its release.

But that's not what's strange about it. What's weird is that despite its meteoric success and the title bringing in thousands of dollars to the developer, Nguyen decided to remove the game from storefronts in early 2014, claiming that he felt guilty for exposing the public to its addictive nature. Following its mysterious and abrupt removal, devices which already had the official game installed were soon up for sale for insane prices, and clones began to appear left and right. While Nguyen later released Flappy Bird Family on Amazon Fire TVs in August 2014, it was not able to re-capture the charm of the original.

We would like to know: What Android (or any smartphone OS, for that matter) game was popular in your circles back in the day? Let us know in the comments section below!

• By indospot
      Game & Watch Super Mario Bros. review: A great homage to Nintendo's classics
      by João Carrasqueira

On September 3, Nintendo announced its celebrations of the 35th anniversary of the launch of Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System. The Mario franchise is arguably one of, if not the most recognizable name in the industry, so naturally, Nintendo likes to flaunt it.

As part of the celebrations, we got Super Mario All-Stars added to the Nintendo Switch Online's library of SNES games; Super Mario 3D All-Stars released as a collection of the three first 3D Mario games; Super Mario Bros. 35, a battle royale-style adaptation of the original game; and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, a real-life Mario Kart game that lets users create their own courses at home and play on them alone or with friends who also have the game.

The most recent launch as part of the anniversary is the Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., and this one celebrates more than the 35th anniversary of Mario. It also celebrates Nintendo's first success in gaming, the Game & Watch. Each of these products stands on its own as a piece of Nintendo history, and you can see that with how the packaging is designed to showcase Super Mario Bros. at first, but also the original Game & Watch: Ball game once you slide the box out of the plastic wrap.

Game & Watch origins
      It may not hold as much of a place in many people's memories, but the Game & Watch was how Nintendo started seeing success in the gaming industry, all the way back in 1980 - meaning this is the device's 40th anniversary, too. The original Game & Watch devices were designed with calculator-type screens, and they were simple endurance games, having the player perform certain actions for as long as possible before messing up their streak. The content on the screen couldn't change beyond what fits in a single frame, so this was the only kind of game that could be crafted, and it also meant that each Game & Watch device had a single game, with many iterations being released over the years.

Game & Watch: Ball (2009 re-issue) | Image credit: masatsu (Flickr) The device was conceptualized and designed by Gunpei Yokoi, who was riding a train when he noticed a man fiddling with a calculator to kill some time on the ride. The name Game & Watch is about as self-explanatory as it gets. It was a game, but when you paused it, it constantly displayed the time, so it could be used as a pocket watch. You couldn't turn the console off entirely, so the watch was always there, and an alarm was also added in later models.

The Game & Watch was also the birthplace of some features that would eventually become staples of Nintendo products. The cross-shaped D-pad was first used in the Game & Watch adaptation of Donkey Kong in 1982, before it was used in the Famicom (the Japanese version of the NES) controller in 1983. Donkey Kong was also part of the Multi Screen series of the Game & Watch, with the clamshell design and dual screens being an obvious inspiration for the Nintendo DS in 2004. Even the idea of detachable controllers we see with the Nintendo Switch bears some resemblance to the Micro Vs. series of the Game & Watch.

All in all, the Game & Watch products sold 43.4 million units worldwide, and they became Nintendo's first big success in the gaming industry. Sadly, I don't personally own one, or I didn't until the Super Mario Bros. edition.

Design and display
      A lot of the identity of the original Game & Watch lineup lives on in this new Super Mario Bros. version. The look seems to mostly derive from the Gold and Wide Screen series of the Game & Watch, but it can also be interpreted as a reference to the Famicom controller, which was itself red and gold. The gold-colored plate on the front is metal, which makes the device feel much more premium.

Having never owned a Game & Watch before, I was surprised at how compact this thing is. It's quite small, and also very thin, which I think adds to the premium feel. It also makes it super easy to carry around if you just want something to help you kill some time throughout the day. However, it can be a bit uncomfortable to play for longer periods, especially if you have big hands.

There are, however, some things here that weren't in the original Game & Watch devices. For one thing, there's a power button, so you can actually turn the device off, or put it in sleep mode, at least. The battery is also rechargeable here, and it charges via USB Type-C. It's great to see that Nintendo didn't cheap out and use micro-USB or something. It's a retro device but modern enough to not be annoying. A USB Type-A to Type-C cable is included, but you need to provide a power adapter yourself. In terms of omissions, the original Game & Watch devices had a kickstand, which you don't get here.

Of course, another big change from the classic Game & Watch models is the display. This version plays a couple of games from the NES, so a color backlit display is used instead of the calculator-style LCDs of the past. I was shocked at how good the display really is. It gets very bright and as far as displaying NES games goes, it looks phenomenal. The pixels are also so small here that it helps these games feel less dated than they actually are, and they feel right at home on this tiny device.

Sound is also as fine as it needs to be for NES games. The single tiny speaker on the left side gets surprisingly loud, and the quality is more than good enough for the sounds you'll hear from these games.

Games and controls
      As you'd probably expect, the Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. allows you to play Super Mario Bros. from the NES, but it also includes Super Mario bros.: The Lost Levels, here referred to by its original Japanese name, Super Mario Bros. 2. The Western Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually a completely different game based on another title, Doki Doki Panic, but the one included here is very similar to the first Super Mario Bros., albeit with some cranked up difficulty. There's also a recreation of the original Game & Watch game Ball, now starring Mario as the main character instead of Mr. Game & Watch.

The games are recreated nearly perfectly on this device, including the copious amounts of sprite flickering you'd get in NES games and some bugs from the original versions. There are, however, some bonuses and changes here and there. For example, you can press the B button on the title screen for both Super Mario Bros. games to start from a specific world, as long as you've made your way to that world before. You can also hold A when starting a game to start with infinite lives. Additionally, after beating the original Super Mario Bros., you unlock Hard mode on the title screen, whereas the original game only allowed you to play it if you kept the system on after beating the base game. For Ball, in addition to playing as Mario, you can also play as Luigi by holding the A button on the title screen for five seconds. Sadly, there's no option to play as Mr. Game & Watch.

All the games control really well here, with no input delays, and the controls somehow feel tighter than I remember them being for these games. I've never had a situation where I blamed the controls for a death or something like that.

The buttons themselves feel good too. The D-pad is made of hard plastic, and it has a nice tactility to it without feeling too harsh when it actuates. The A and B buttons are made of a rubber-like material, and that may sound terrible, but it actually works well. While the buttons are very soft, they still have nice actuation, and again, I've never been able to blame the controls for losing in a game. They end up feeling comfortable, and the rubber gives them more grip than hard plastic would.

Extra features
      Of course, it wouldn't be a Game & Watch without a watch, and Nintendo also designed one themed around Mario. The clock screen features an animated screen with Mario running through the bottom, and various characters from Mario games appearing from time to time. The time of day on the screen changes throughout the day, and there are 35 easter eggs that happen at different times of the day, such as the blocks that display the time changing to coins at 5:55 (AM and PM). You can also just see a simple clock by pausing any of the games.

From the watch screen, you can press the A button for five seconds to listen to the Mario Drawing Song, which was originally available in 2010 as a promotion for a Mario-themed contest in the Nintendo DSi application Flipnote Studio. The song is only available in English, but you can choose subtitles for different languages. Nintendo issued a warning prior to the release, though, as many non-English languages are mixed up and selecting one language will display the lyrics in another.

This issue can't be fixed, and that's because there's no way to update or change the software on this system. The USB Type-C port has no data throughput, meaning there's no way to push anything onto it. That also means that, if you were hoping to turn this device into some sort of tiny emulation machine, you won't be able to, at least not without physically opening up the device and some very advanced tinkering.

Another neat little bonus for Nintendo fans is the artwork that's displayed after the device has been idle for some time. After three minutes of inactivity, the Game & Watch goes to sleep, but before it does, you get to see some art of Mario and other characters, which varies depending on the time of day and what you were doing before the device was idle. The artwork depicts Mario and Luigi's outfits in the same colors as in the games featured in this package instead of their official colors, which gives them an interesting touch. These colors weren't even used for official artwork when the games released, so it's definitely an interesting decision by Nintendo.

Conclusion
      The Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. is probably one of the coolest collectible items Nintendo has made. It's a wonderful blend of products that defined the early days of Nintendo's history in the gaming market, combining the premium-feeling design of the Game & Watch with the most iconic game of the 1980s. The color display is beautiful and a perfect fit for these titles, and the controls feel really good overall.

I also love all the little extra bonuses thrown onto the package, like the clock, the special artwork, and the Game & Watch: Ball game. Plus, some of the options added to the games make it much easier to actually finish them, ditching the old-school approach of having to beat games in one go.

The small and thin design can get a little uncomfortable for long play sessions, but it stays true to Game & Watch brand, and this is more of a collector's item than an ideal way to play these games in my view. I still think it's a great way to play them, and if you're a parent trying to introduce kids to the early days of Nintendo, then this will likely be a perfect fit for their small hands.

It can be hard to justify or evaluate the price of a collectible. Like I said, it's not the absolute best way to play these games, and the fact that it only has these three games means it's definitely not meant to be compared with actual consoles. But the way it brings together elements of Nintendo's history, plus the bonuses thrown in here, do make this a fantastic device for die-hard Nintendo fans like myself. If you happen to be one, too, then I think the $50 price tag is definitely justified.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Weekend PC Game Deals: Sample some space titles and early fall specials
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Weekend PC Game Deals is where the hottest gaming deals from all over the internet are gathered into one place, every week, for your consumption. So kick back, relax, and hold on to your wallets.

The bundle space received another fall bundle this week, as Humble brought around the Sweet Farm Fall Bundle carrying nine games.

The three tiers begin with the $1 rung, which is offering Out There: Ω Edition and ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove plus its soundtrack. If you head up to the second tier by paying around $8 (current average price) you get several hits added to your collection, them being SUPERHOT, Moonlighter, and Chuchel Cherry Edition.

The third and final tier comes in at $12, and its innards contain A Hat in Time, Sigma Theory: Global Cold War, Necronator: Dead Wrong, and Coffee Talk.

If you're a virtual reality headset owner, you probably wouldn't want to miss out on Humble's Fall VR bundle from last week, which comes in with hits like The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, Zero Caliber VR, and I Expect You to Die.

Another double giveaway is primed and ready to be claimed by you at the Epic Games Store this weekend. The Textorcist has been replaced by Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door as the latest freebies.

Elite Dangerous arrives as a multiplayer space simulator title that offers the Milky Way galaxy as your playground. Recently, its Horizons expansion became a part of the base game, giving everyone access to ground-based missions. Meanwhile, The World Next Door is a mix between a visual novel and a fast-paced puzzle game that follows the adventures of Jun, a teenager stuck in a parallel universe.

You can grab both games for free until November 26. As for what's coming next, MudRunner will be what's on offer after the current duo's promotion comes to an end.

It appears that the sole free event that's currently running is for Cloud Imperium Games' in-development title Star Citizen. The space simulation game has gone free-to-play until December 2, and throughout the event, it is also offering over 100 ships to try out for no charge.

Big Deals
      The Steam Autumn Sale should be just about here, so you may want to hold off on any big purchases before the promotion opens its doors. Still, if you can't wait at all, see below for our highlights for this weekend. Quite a few games of major publishers like Microsoft, Ubisoft, and EA, are on sale currently, but keep in mind all of them offer subscription services with most of their wares too.

Watch Dogs Legion – $44.99 on Ubisoft Store Wasteland 3 – $40.19 on Microsoft Store Forza Horizon 4 – $29.99 on Microsoft Store Marvel's Avengers – $29.99 on Steam This Land Is My Land - Early Access – $29.99 on Steam Halo: The Master Chief Collection – $25.99 on Microsoft Store STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order – $23.99 on Origin STAR WARS: Squadrons – $21.59 on Fanatical Tell Me Why – $20.09 on Microsoft Store DOOM Eternal – $17.99 on GamesPlanet Pathologic 2 – $17.49 on Steam Shenmue 3 – $15.99 on Fanatical Moving Out – $14.99 on Steam Ori and the Will of the Wisps – $14.99 on Microsoft Store Cuphead – $14.99 on Humble Store Paradise Killer – $14.99 on Humble Store Titanfall Collection – $14.30 on Steam Cloudpunk – $13.39 on Steam Ghost Recon Breakpoint – $13.20 on GreenManGaming Embr - Early Access – $11.99 on Fanatical Command & Conquer Remastered Collection – $11.99 on Fanatical Children of Morta – $10.99 on Steam My Time At Portia – $10.19 on Steam Gears 5 – $9.99 on Microsoft Store Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition – $9.99 on Microsoft Store Battletoads – $9.99 on Microsoft Store The Division 2 – $9.00 on Ubisoft Store Fable Anniversary – $8.74 on Humble Store Splinter Cell Blacklist – $7.50 on Ubisoft Store Book of Demons – $6.24 on Steam Darkest Dungeon – $6.24 on Humble Store theHunter: Call of the Wild – $5.99 on Steam Garfield Kart - Furious Racing – $4.49 on Steam Trials Rising – $3.99 on Steam Life is Strange Complete Season – $3.99 on Steam Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut – $2.99 on Steam Sleeping Dogs – $2.99 on Steam Dungeon Siege Collection – $2.99 on Steam Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance – $2.59 on Steam Just Cause 2 – $1.49 on Steam Downwell – $0.98 on Steam Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition – $0.97 on Steam Thief Gold – $0.97 on Steam The World Next Door – $0 on Epic Store Elite Dangerous – $0 on Epic Store DRM-free Goodness
      Your DRM-free serving of deals this weekend from GOG carries games from a wide variety of genres. It even has a large Made in Poland sale going on. See our highlights below:

Dying Light: The Following – Enhanced Edition - $17.99 on GOG Shenmue III - $16.99 on GOG CARRION - $14.99 on GOG The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - GOTY Edition - $14.99 on GOG Frostpunk - $10.19 on GOG SPORE Collection - $7.49 on GOG Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - $5.99 on GOG The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - $4.99 on GOG Banner Saga - $4.99 on GOG Monster Prom - $3.71 on GOG TrickStyle - $2.99 on GOG Sid Meier’s Pirates! - $2.49 on GOG Jagged Alliance 2 - $1.99 on GOG Hatoful Boyfriend - $1.99 on GOG Dungeon Keeper 2 - $1.49 on GOG Populous: The Beginning - $1.49 on GOG Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack - $1.49 on GOG Syndicate Plus - $1.49 on GOG Theme Hospital - $1.49 on GOG Keep in mind that availability and pricing for some deals may vary depending on the region you're in.

And that is it for our pick of this weekend's PC game deals folks, and hopefully, some of you have enough self-restraint to not add even more games to your growing backlogs this fall season. Of course, there is an enormous amount of more deals ready and waiting all over the internet if you comb through it hard enough, so keep your eyes open for those, and have a fantastic weekend.