Confused: afraid of chrome, nostalgic to opera......solution?

Confused....

I am afraid of privacy issues of chrome.so, I thought chrommium is the answer, being open source.Yet, the sync feature I like is logging to google servers my history and bookmarks, so I think chrommium might not be the right answer

On the other hand I feel quite nostalgic to opera which I used from version 6xxxto 12xxx on the move to Webkit base.I saw the most recent chrome based version and I think it might be ok.

IE is not an option.FF doesn't feel right to me (psychologically) and even 64bit cyberfox didn't really impress me.

Which would you prefer?

What privacy issues? The automated spidering of your data to issue targeted ads in your browser searches and gmail interface? Just FYI everyone does this, MS, Yahoo, Google, etc. No one is reading your e-mails....

• Like 2

The history and bookmark syncing can be enabled on Chromium also. That stuff is stored encrypted using your account password anyway (or and old password if you changed your account password after encrypting) so you should be safe in that regard (with either Chrome or Chromium).

Just don't sign into Chrome AND Google search Always logs your queries so disable that (on any browser). Use incognito if you have to, a VPN, a screen privacy cover, and store every document on external flashdrives that you keep locked in a safe. Seriously don't worry.

I'm using Opera 20 and every time I go to a few sites on the internet I get google cookies. I had everything cleared when I went online a few minutes ago and the only places I went was to ARSTechnica, FoxNews, and Neowin. I just checked my cookies and there was these cookies. The cookies are: google-analytics.com, google.com, www.google.com, googleadservices.com, ajax.googleapis.com, fonts.googleapis.com, and googleusercontent.com.

the purpose of this topic is to choose between Chrommium and Opera

What privacy issues? The automated spidering of your data to issue targeted ads in your browser searches and gmail interface? Just FYI everyone does this, MS, Yahoo, Google, etc. No one is reading your e-mails....

That spidering.you can't say I fully trust x company 

Use Tor?

Pretty relevant.Might get it a go.But I think it requires a non lazy person

The history and bookmark syncing can be enabled on Chromium also. That stuff is stored encrypted using your account password anyway (or and old password if you changed your account password after encrypting) so you should be safe in that regard (with either Chrome or Chromium).

So, Chrommium has no liability in this point.

Still no one said anything about opera.It should inherit all chrome properties, so why not?

I'm using Opera 20 and every time I go to a few sites on the internet I get google cookies. I had everything cleared when I went online a few minutes ago and the only places I went was to ARSTechnica, FoxNews, and Neowin. I just checked my cookies and there was these cookies. The cookies are: google-analytics.com, google.com, www.google.com, googleadservices.com, ajax.googleapis.com, fonts.googleapis.com, and googleusercontent.com.

So, you are prefering what : chrommium or opera?

Opera with Blink (WebKit), has come a long ways..Still prefer Opera 12.**, but Opera 21 developer is alright..I prefer it to Chrome (Opera is my main browser)

I don't think any option is going to please you...

so, which browser?

I may seem to need someone just to tell me opera is better because of (.....) to emphasize my decision.But this is wrong, I am open to all options

Opera with Blink (WebKit), has come a long ways..Still prefer Opera 12.**, but Opera 21 developer is alright..I prefer it to Chrome (Opera is my main browser)

Why prefer opera?  plz, elaborate

In all honestly, it's all because of the easy search..(Without use of addons)

Search wiki = w Battlestar Galactica

Search Google = g Battlestar Galactica (Assuming it's not default, then just search without the g)

I also setup custom searches

Search Google Images = gi Battlestar Galactica

Other than that, all browsers are the same..They all display sites, have the same basic options.

Plus, it's also habit lol

Can you provide a source? My understanding is Chrome doesn't encrypt more than passwords by default on syncing.

Not sure why this isn't a privacy issue... Feeding the data to algorithms is reading... But I won't pull the topic toward the thorny topic of privacy and the value of information...

On topic: If you are privacy conscious the only browser that is safe to use really is Firefox. You can even point its sync storage to your own server you control.

Can you provide a source? My understanding is Chrome doesn't encrypt more than passwords by default on syncing.

See bullet 4 here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1181035?hl=en During the initial setup with your account it will ask you which you want to do and you can later change the option in chromes settings (or sync/unsync specific types of information).

Note: when I set this up on my account, it was when it was first added years ago. At the time, you couldn't use a separate passphrase iirc.

Not sure why this isn't a privacy issue... Feeding the data to algorithms is reading... But I won't pull the topic toward the thorny topic of privacy and the value of information...

On topic: If you are privacy conscious the only browser that is safe to use really is Firefox. You can even point its sync storage to your own server you control.

The browser isn't really the part with the most privacy concerns in practice. If you use an account with any search engine, they are recording your searches and activity and that's far more invasive than what any browser does. That's what I don't really get about the browser privacy concerns. People opt to use potentially safer browsers (in terms of privacy), yet continue to use the very same accounts and things they were using prior. It kind of reminds me of the idea of security through obscurity, except in this case people think they are safe in terms of privacy when they aren't.

It's a moot point if people aren't being diligent and going the full 9 yards to secure themselves from being snooped (read as: more than just a token effort). If people are then it is perfectly understandable though.

it doesn't matter what browser you are using, no matter what country you live in. your goverment is already tracking where you are going, what you are reading and writing on the internet so you shouldn't be worried about google tracking your internet experience

See bullet 4 here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1181035?hl=en During the initial setup with your account it will ask you which you want to do and you can later change the option in chromes settings (or sync/unsync specific types of information).

Note: when I set this up on my account, it was when it was first added years ago. At the time, you couldn't use a separate passphrase iirc.

I read that page. It says that Chrome will encrypt passwords only by default and lays out a path to alternatively encrypt everything.

Chrome doesn't ask you anything about this on sync setup. At least not on Android*. I never use Chrome Sync as I don't trust it, but it makes full encryption a bit more work to enable. Which makes sense as Google would prefer to be able to use the data.

* When I first open Chrome on Android it instantly signs me in and setups sync. It doesn't ask me if I want to sign into Google nor does it ask me if I want to sync. It also doesn't explain my encryption options. It defaults to the method in the article you listed. Only passwords are encrypted.

it doesn't matter what browser you are using, no matter what country you live in. your goverment is already tracking where you are going, what you are reading and writing on the internet so you shouldn't be worried about google tracking your internet experience

Privacy isn't solely a question of governmental surveillance issues. It is about control of the most important commodity in the digital era, information. I take my privacy seriously not because I am concerned with the NSA, but because I am concerned about giving control of my most valuable asset to others to profit off of with no control.

It isn't a problem to choose less privacy, but it likewise isn't a problem to chose more. Your information is yours to do with as you please...

I read that page. It says that Chrome will encrypt passwords only by default and lays out a path to alternatively encrypt everything.

Chrome doesn't ask you anything about this on sync setup. At least not on Android*. I never use Chrome Sync as I don't trust it, but it makes full encryption a bit more work to enable. Which makes sense as Google would prefer to be able to use the data.

* When I first open Chrome on Android it instantly signs me in and setups sync. It doesn't ask me if I want to sign into Google nor does it ask me if I want to sync. It also doesn't explain my encryption options. It defaults to the method in the article you listed. Only passwords are encrypted.

I just tried with a separate account of mine in that I've never synced and it doesn't ask by default anymore unless you check the box that asks if you want to configure it when you first log in to chrome (on desktop). If you've already previously setup syncing for your account, it will use whatever the prior settings are on your account. I don't really see the problem since once it is initially setup it will use the same settings on any instance of chrome on any computer you sign in with. It's not something that is requires manual configuration ever again. If you are at all security conscious it is you really your prerogative to do a little more than just click through without configuring it the first time through... if you don't, well you have no-one to blame but yourself.

I just tried with a separate account of mine in that I've never synced and it doesn't ask by default anymore unless you check the box that asks if you want to configure it when you first log in to chrome. If you've already previously setup syncing for your account, it will use whatever the prior settings are on your account. I don't really see the problem since once it is initially setup it will use the same settings on any instance of chrome on any computer you sign in with. It's not something that is requires manual configuration ever again. If you are at all security conscious it is you really your prerogative to do a little more than just click through without configuring it the first time through... if you don't, well you have no-one to blame but yourself.

Not complaining :)

Just wanted clarification as your post suggested that Chrome would encrypt all synced data by default. It is a subset of that which can be important to some.

Not complaining :)

Just wanted clarification as your post suggested that Chrome would encrypt all synced data by default. It is a subset of that which can be important to some.

I still think encrypting all of this data misses the most important part though: your searches are being recorded by google using your account if you are signed in so it defeats the purpose of being privacy conscious at that point. The only way you are getting away from that is if you sync using another browser and don't sign into google at any point.*

*Unless you can somehow be not sign into google for searching and such but still be signed into your account on chrome (outside of incognito I mean). I have no idea if that is possible since I'm always signed in.

I still think encrypting all of this data misses the most important part though: your searches are being recorded by google using your account if you are signed in so it defeats the purpose of being privacy conscious at that point. The only way you are getting away from that is if you sync using another browser and don't sign into google at any point.*

*Unless you can somehow be not sign into google for searching and such but still be signed into your account on chrome (outside of incognito I mean). I have no idea if that is possible since I'm always signed in.

I agree. This is why I don't use Chrome.

I use Chrome only but again i disabled the tracking features in settings and also there is options to go deep in the config of the browser ( in the developer section ).  I like the Landing page also that gives me my most visited Website that i can change also on the fly, like that i don't type the website address all the time only click it and bang open.

Edited : And go to your google account and disable the tracking of website it helps

Opera well i am not a fan of it but was told it is good specially the recent version of it. It is more of a get to use to thing these day's with browsers because all of some kind of tracking features because of the smartphones. Even Internet Explorer and other services from Microsoft keeps track of your habits sites etc. if not disabled to help you transfer stuff on the go on your Microsoft Phone just like Google and Android Phone. 

Again another thing people don't understand is the online services that needs tweaking more then anything like google mail or outlook accounts or facebook settings etc. if they don't have proper settings and submit info about you and you included your emails, location etc. even if your browser don't provide the info because you disable it but are linked to those services, guess what happens. Even on your smartphone make sure to disable location tracking , browsing tracking , apps tracking and location otherwise everyone knows what you do. they all link together.

I have heard of some people that object to some of the Google Tracking circles use IRON.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

I have used it in the past the portable version and is built on the same base as both Chromium and Chrome, but some features are removed.

I personally wouldn't use that. I was under the impression that Chromium could be configured to work exactly as it does and that it was just an attempt at making money via ads: http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/srware-iron-browser-a-real-private-alternative-to-chrome-21/  (note if it says page not found, hit enter in the url bar). Scroll down to the why does IRON exist section.

EDIT: This is a better link: http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2009/12/iron.html

I use this browser for testing with proxys mostly when my sites black list my ip for invalid passwords or whatnot when I forget them.   It has quite a bit of privacy built in, but of course, take it all with a grain of salt. ;)

EPIC Browser

They build off of the Chrome engine but do a lot to strip it down.