Your observations on Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. Feature Pack)

The bolded part is what many users have been asking for since the first Windows 8 preview went public. Shoehorning two entirely different user paradigms into one operating system didn't work, despite what certain people on this very forum have been claiming.

Not in this way. I want Metro integration on the desktop, but what I mean by that is the Metro dynamics, the UX, etc on the desktop, not just shoehorned into a classic window, and certainly not having the taskbar appear over Metro apps. Quite disruptive behavior.

Not in this way. I want Metro integration on the desktop, but what I mean by that is the Metro dynamics, the UX, etc on the desktop, not just shoehorned into a classic window, and certainly not having the taskbar appear over Metro apps. Quite disruptive behavior.

The Taskbar only appears when I launch an app from it. As soon as I move my cursor it never comes back, while I'm in the app.

Don't know how you personally get it back again, by moving the cursor to the bottom edge of the screen.

Yeah I think both Metro-izing the desktop or Desktop-izing Metro are terrible ideas. These environments work great by themselves for what they were designed to do, Microsoft needs to let us work with either one of them without forcing us into the other.

I'm curious to know if the default file associations on the desktop have finally been rebound to desktop apps or do they still throw you in Metro land.

Please - the reason why it is bound to non-desktop applications is due to what application is available *at the time*.  Installing any other application (desktop or otherwise) temporarily unbinds it so you can change it to the new application - in other words, no different from other versions of Windows.  (Example - PDF files are bound to Reader (the ModernUI app) only until another PDF reading applicaiton (including Microsoft Word) is installed - that unbinds PDFs from Reader until the selection is changed/modified.  Same applies to MPEG4 files (ModernUI Video Player/VLC).)

Changing file associations not only is not rocket science, it's no different than it has been.

How do I activate the Enterprise mode for IE 11?

as we see from our american politicians, things change but not necesarily for the good

But these changes don't bother me. I still have my desktop

I'm like the fact I can quick close a metro app with the bar at the top.

this is going to make it a lot less confusing with pc (non-touch screen) users.

Please - the reason why it is bound to non-desktop applications is due to what application is available *at the time*. 

Both Metro and Desktop applications are available to open common file types such as images and videos. Desktop applications should be the default for opening files from the Desktop, and vice-versa. It doesn't make sense that opening an image from the Desktop should use Metro Photos or whatever instead of the Windows Photo Viewer.

That doesn't close an app it restarts it.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-restart-app

To close an app, just drag it to the bottom and let go.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/how-close-app

100% incorrect, load up your task manager, on the processes tab, launch "Games" you will see it launch into the Apps section.

Click and drag it down to the bottom and let go... it will still be in the Apps section.

If you go back into it, drag down and hold till it flips, then let go, it will kill the process and "Games" disappears from the Apps list in Processes tab.

Comment 1 and 3 on your winsupersite link confirm this as well.

• Like 2

100% incorrect, load up your task manager, on the processes tab, launch "Games" you will see it launch into the Apps section.

Click and drag it down to the bottom and let go... it will still be in the Apps section.

If you go back into it, drag down and hold till it flips, then let go, it will kill the process and "Games" disappears from the Apps list in Processes tab.

Comment 1 and 3 on your winsupersite link confirm this as well.

I stand corrected - thank you for setting me straight.  :)

• Like 2

My cursor is always at the bottom, it's where I bring it to rest before taking other actions.

Even then, it won't show. Your mouse can be at the bottom of the screen without it showing. You have to push against the bottom a second time to show it.

changes? they seem for all tense and purposes very minute. I wouldn't consider them game changers as they mashed modern UI with the desktop or vice versa. I think they are trying to make an all in one UI but that seems like a no brainer.

just unpinned the store icon from the taskbar.

* Now back to our regularly scheduled programming /sarcasm

I stand corrected - thank you for setting me straight.  smile.png

MS's instructions are confusing. to restart the app you have to drag it back up THEN release, after it flips over.

It doesn't seem the Aeroglass effect made it in to rtm.

https://www.neowin.net/news/aero-glass-can-be-turned-on-in-the-leaked-build-of-windows-81-update-1

Unless there's a step needed to be done after adding the registry key, and a reboot.

That is just debug code that is compiled in during debug builds of Windows that turns the blur display layer off. It isn't aeroglass and it is unlikely to be included in release builds.

See the update here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/aero-glass-can-be-enabled-recently-leaked-build-windows-81-update-1

Both Metro and Desktop applications are available to open common file types such as images and videos. Desktop applications should be the default for opening files from the Desktop, and vice-versa. It doesn't make sense that opening an image from the Desktop should use Metro Photos or whatever instead of the Windows Photo Viewer.

I rather like the Metro app for being full screen without the extra button presses, but it isn't really...functional IMO.  Can't even sort by filename last I checked.  Annoying.  And the changes should make it easier to mix the two environments.

They just need to work on some of the apps more.  Music has certainly had some great changes.  Haven't used Video for anything really but I would.

changes? they seem for all tense and purposes very minute. I wouldn't consider them game changers as they mashed modern UI with the desktop or vice versa. I think they are trying to make an all in one UI but that seems like a no brainer.

just unpinned the store icon from the taskbar.

* Now back to our regularly scheduled programming /sarcasm

Does that work to remove the taskbar from metro apps?

This was the #1 glaring issue I had with windows 8 from the very beginning, bouncing the user back and forth from one environment to the other for no good reason.

Hard to believe I agree with you on something but you do have a valid point.

You can disable the taskbar in the metro ui. It's as simple as unchecking show Windows store apps on the taskbar in taskbar properties.

I believe the title bar can be disabled too, but I'm looking for a registry edit for that.

• Like 2

And the very reason it IS that way is because there is no desktop application that does the job at the time.  Installing ANY other application that can do so (desktop or otherwise) unbinds the association - which is no different from behavior in earlier versions of Windows.  If you want a desktop applicaiton to read that file, install one (I use Adobe Reader for this purpose with PDF files, and VLC for FLV and other video files - both are desktop applications).  How the heck is that hard?

Both ModernUI and desktop applicaitons can read the same files - we aren't talking virtualization here.  The choice is up to the user - as it always HAS been.

It sounds like you want to decrease choice by forcing the use of desktop applications - Microsoft is NOT forcing the use of ModernUI applications.

This was the #1 glaring issue I had with windows 8 from the very beginning, bouncing the user back and forth from one environment to the other for no good reason.

Hard to believe I agree with you on something but you do have a valid point.

In other words, you want to decrease choice by requiring a desktop applicaiton to be the default, as opposed to letting it be user-choice - as it always has been.

ModernUI applicaitons are simply another option - nothing more or less.  Nobody - not even Microsoft - is saying that you have to use any of them.

Why is it that more options are a bad thing?

I apologize if it was mentioned elsewhere on the forums but does anyone know if there is a registry entry to get the update on Windows RT (Surface)?

I apologize if it was mentioned elsewhere on the forums but does anyone know if there is a registry entry to get the update on Windows RT (Surface)?

There was, but Microsoft plugged it. You can still get the MSUs on My Digital Life. I haven't had problems with it on x86 or x64, but BUT BUT BUT ARM is a lot different, especially with Surface RT, because there is firmware that might not be compatible, so I would ask other people if it works before trying it.

------

Also, Dot Matrix, I'm testing stuff in the registry, but it doesn't seem to be that simple, so I'm not sure if the team put in a registry entry for that, but I'll have to see if that will be included in the final release.