DirectX 12 Coming to Xbox One

They could still use it, sure. But why have two renderers for different Windows versions, one which will incur significant overhead issues - when you could kill two birds with one stone and just use OpenGL. (Or Mantle if it were to be standardised)

Especially if you want to double-dip into the engine business, using an OpenGL codepath is going to make Mobile, GNU/Linux and OS X ports far easier. (Granted, Mobile is still largely GLES rather than full GL, but it's getting there)

OpenGL just seems to be so far ahead and more widespread. I'm not sure how Mantle could catch up, much less DirectX

OpenGL just seems to be so far ahead and more widespread. I'm not sure how Mantle could catch up, much less DirectX

We've already got more Mantle games than OpenGL 4.x games heh.

This particular mess is not going to be quick to be cleaned up.

Mantle has pretty good momentum behind it, but the drivers aren't mature yet and without 3rd-party IHV support it'll sputter out and die.

If AMD handed over Mantle to Khronos I think it would have a good chance of pretty much wiping the floor with both DirectX and OpenGL, but it all depends how AMD play their hand.

Now you're just flat out lying. The performance difference is huge. Every Xbox One game so far has shown this to be true, as each PS4 game has trounced on them, other than the first party titles.

I've heard many of my friends who have the PS4 say that the frame rates are variable, and the interface can be laggy at times

• Like 1

I've heard many of my friends who have the PS4 say that the frame rates are variable, and the interface can be laggy at times

True, at least from my experience. X1 is more prone to texture streaming and object pop-in. PS4 has notable framerate flunctuations. I expect both to improve and the resolution thing to go away within a year. Keep in mind people we have yet to see a single game designed only for those two devices - regardless of what developers may claim. Willing to bet money that Shadowfall was also initially meant as KZ4 for PS3. Forza 5 may be the exception, but it came at the cost of cutting half the content cause they were too busy retooling it for higher fidelity.

Every iteration of an API makes things better, barring any huge glitches. Think back to DX8 or something, shudder at the horror of those games we thought were so cool back then, and then be grateful for all the progress we've achieved. A couple hundred vertical pixels don't seem so bad in the right context :x

• Like 2

I see so many more people claiming that opengl is ahead in many way and far fewer people claiming directx has anything going for it.

I would say its just the opposite. Most of the major graphic engines for PC are first designed for DirectX. Then ported over to Open GL.   Take a look at cry engine or unreal 4.

On mobile Open GL is the dominate.

I see so many more people claiming that opengl is ahead in many way and far fewer people claiming directx has anything going for it.

AFAIK OpenGL is leading only on the mobile front due to iOS/Android domination. I think things haven't changed much on the traditional PC front.

• Like 1

When is Windows 9 supposed to come out? October this year? Will it be a free upgrade for Windows 8.1 users? Sorry, haven't been keeping up with news on this.

April 2015 seems like a good bet.

• Like 1

There's no indication (yet) that DX12 requires additional hardware feature that current generation GPUs don't support so discussion about whether the XBone will/will not support it is a bit baseless and premature. Incrementing the version in no way implies incompatibility with older cards.

• Like 2

April 2015 seems like a good bet.

That should be good, plenty of time to go and get it done right, though i'm very fine with 8.1. love it - personally (feel like need to apologize for liking it hahaha).

There's no indication (yet) that DX12 requires additional hardware feature that current generation GPUs don't support so discussion about whether the XBone will/will not support it is a bit baseless and premature. Incrementing the version in no way implies incompatibility with older cards.

Considering every DX major release past 9 has done so, I guess its a safe assumption. They usually knock it up a minor increment if not, like 11.1/11.2, 9a and 9b etc.

Considering every DX major release past 9 has done so, I guess its a safe assumption. They usually knock it up a minor increment if not, like 11.1/11.2, 9a and 9b etc.

chicken vs egg

did DX add new features that the hardware had to implement, or was new features added to DX because the GPU makers where adding them to the cards... 

there's nothign that says a new DX version has to add new HW features. in fact there's nothing saying DX can't add new features to old hardware either, and it has. 

chances are this is a major rewrite of DX as the rumors say. and at the same time they may actually have changed how things works so they can add a lot more features to GPU's without hardware support. shaders already today do a crapload of stuff they're not originally designed to do, heck the things they to the least of today is probably actual shaders.  sure some stuff might be more effective with a specialized hardware routine, but it shouldn't "need" one always. 

That'd be two out of eleven major releases so not at all...  :laugh: Dropping in major new features is better indicator of major number increments more than anything. 

With DirectX 12 coming to Xbox One, does that mean we would have a rather sizable update sent to our systems, or it would be included with a future dashboard update?

With DirectX 12 coming to Xbox One, does that mean we would have a rather sizable update sent to our systems, or it would be included with a future dashboard update?

Probably a future update, this isn't a release conference but a technical conference about the new DX, and the release date will probably be revealed there. I wouldn't at this point rule out a major OS update around september where this might be included, all things considered. 

So today is the day, anyone know if they're going to have a live feed of this or if anyone is going to do a live blog or something?  I know it's probably going to be technical since it's for developers but I'm still very interested.