No video on boot *desperate*

Dear all,

First of all, I am new member and have been reading through these forums for all kinds of technical advice. This community has been of great help. This is why I turn to you guys with a challenge which I haven't been able to find the answer for after 4 days of googling and testing.

I am working to apply a minor upgrade to my brothers system so he can reach acceptable framerates on his favorite games (still not done though). I have replaced the mobo, graphics card, ram, cpu + decent heatsink (for OC purpose after this problem).
I get no display on boot, the system is booting fine I just don't get any video signal. The monitor is aware of the cable being connected but still I only get a black screen. With the graphics card which he had running on his original configuration everything is working fine.

steps taken:
- Checked all cables for damaged connection.
- Updated BIOS to the latest version +modded bios hoping for improved compatibility.
- Reset CMOS
- Tested GTX275 in my friends + old system.. in both cases it worked. The card works fine.
- de-install windows drivers of GT7800 (I know it doesn't have anything to do with no video on boot but I got desperate)
- Disconnected all devices except the necessary ones to rule out insufficient power
- Screwed with every PCI-e related BIOS setting to no avail (I still feel the problem lies in the BIOS settings, but don't know where to look for it anymore)
GPU: Geforce GTX 275 1GB (old "working" card = Geforce 7800GT)
Ram: 2x2gb DDR2 800mhz
PSU: 500W Coolermaster RP-500-PCAP (This will be upgraded for optimized efficiency on PSU)

I am really desperate to get this thing running. I go to bed trieing to see the big picture on my missing step and I wake up in the same "problem isolating" state of mind.

HELP ME PLEASE!

How are you navigating the BIOS without a display? Also, how do you know it is booting fine? Do you have a system speaker connected to the MB to verify POST status? Or does the board have diagnostic LEDs to inform you of the POST status?

I would recommend you take a clean rubber eraser to the PCIe contact pins and see if that helps any. The eraser is a a good way to clean the contacts without damaging them.

this might sound like a stupid question. But do you have the aux power cable plugged into the Graphics card? its usually on the top or back of the card.

power.jpg

this might sound like a stupid question. But do you have the aux power cable plugged into the Graphics card? its usually on the top or back of the card.

That was going to be my suggestion, I don't even want to think about how many times I've done it. 

Thanks for the quick reply men!

@LogicalApex:

I navigate through the bios while my older GT7800 is connected to change bios settings, saving, re-entering bios and then shutdown to switch graphics cards. I am currently on this forum running on the old card as well.

@LittleNeutrino:

Yes both 6 pins power cables are connected properly. The small 2 pins connector is not connected but from what I understand that 1 is for HDMI sound. I am connected through both DVI and VGA to my monitor anyway

no integrated graphics on the P5QL PRO... would clearing drivers help? I had a feeling thid problem wasn't windows related but if it helps I could re-install the OS.

Casa, please wait 24 hours to bump. Not everyone is on 24/7

What system did you test the 275 on? Do you have enough amperage/wattage on your PSU?

Have you used this card in another computer before to verify that the card works?  Are you sure the system is getting adequate power?

Have you used this card in another computer before to verify that the card works?

Tested GTX275 in my friends + old system.. in both cases it worked. The card works fine.
  • Like 1

yes the gtx275 works.. and no... Trieing to rule out the power matter I disconnected everything except the graphics card and the hdd... to no avail... The same PSU got the graphics card going on a different mobo.

Do you get any video at all. Like a BIOS splash screen or anything and then black going into windows or just nothing from the start? Is is entirely possible that the graphics card simply won't work in that system board. Or if it blanks out when windows loads you need to install the drivers first.

yes the gtx275 works.. and no... Trieing to rule out the power matter I disconnected everything except the graphics card and the hdd... to no avail... The same PSU got the graphics card going on a different mobo.

Something dumb I once did, connect monitor to vga from onboard chip instead of videocard.

Is the videocard making sound and does the fan rotate when you start the pc?

And I don't think it's a driver issue, windows should show graphics on most nvidia cards even without graphics or graphic drivers from other cards installed.

Maybe something is wrong with the power supply.

I would download the manual for your motherboard and read the settings carefully.

W7 ultimate x86 at the moment... @Circaflex

no image at all..no splash screen... I was wondering about that compatibility issue... But couldn't find a list anywhere with either compatible or non-compatible GC's @Geoffrey B

No I didn't test it after the Mbios installation... Given your question I figure I should... I will do that asap. @Krome

What are the chances Mbios damaged my card? The Mbios description said it was mainly to improve RAM compatibility, I was hoping it would do something to improve GPU compatibility as well...

Thanks a lot for all input people... I REALLY appreciate it!

BIOS settings @Hum??

I did that.. couldn't find anything except the PEG/PCI - PCI/PEG GPU initiation

Yes... both fans rotate and respond to the heat of the card by increasing RPM @seahorsepip

If you have remote desktop enabled on your system, try to log on it.

I had an issue with my motherboard that if I unplug a hdmi cable and shutdown the computer by unplugging the power cable, I was getting black screens. The only way I could get my screen back is by using another graphic card or when I cleared the CMOS directly from the motherboard a couple of time.

You should read your motherboard manual and clear the CMOS a couple of time using the jumper located directly on the MB. I say a couple of time because from most of the motherboard, they are no clear information to let you know you successfully did it.

I'm pretty sure it's the PSU, the Extreme Power Plus is a 'super budget brand'.  Upgrade it with something better and it'll be fine.

For reference:

85W - 7800GT
220W - GTX 275

@ZeroFearX I am not familiar with remote desktop...

I've tried to clear CMOS several times.. leaving the battery out for 5/10/15 minutes with and without switching the jumper. I even tried to clear the CMOS by leaving the batter out over night with jumperswitch. You are right there is no clear indication on a successful CMOS clearance.

@imachip

Extreme power plus? I use coolermaster. Is that the same?

Nvidia says that.. There are a lot of people which claim that it will work on a 500w without a lot of components or heavy OC-ing.. My old mobo actually proves that it should work.

@Neowinian I am not familiar with remote desktop...

I've tried to clear CMOS several times.. leaving the battery out for 5/10/15 minutes with and without switching the jumper. I even tried to clear the CMOS by leaving the batter out over night with jumperswitch. You are right there is no clear indication on a successful CMOS clearance.

Extreme power plus? I use coolermaster. Is that the same?

Nvidia says that.. There are a lot of people which claim that it will work on a 500w without a lot of components or heavy OC-ing.. My old mobo actually proves that it should work.

you powersupply is fine, not sure why that poster replied with that answer.

EDIT NVM I see why he/she posted that response, that is the model, but still it should be enough for the job, the downside is in reality it is a sevennteam ST-450ZPF

@riahc3.

That's a good 1... There is a green and red mini-jack tied together in the case. That might be the system speakers connection (?). Usually the system speaker has it's own small connector right? If the green mini-jack is the system speakers connection then I don't know.. If it's powered on along with the rest of the front panel then the answer to that question is no