Bought foreign CD key from popular website - my refund rights?

I am in the UK bought a CD key for a game from a popular CD key website. I am not sure where they're based.

I have done this many times, with many games/websites and since they're well known websites, I have never had an issue.

I had to activate the game using a VPN (which worked fine) but on this occasion, to run the game,  I needed to run the game using as a "non-Steam game" within Steam.

Due to this, I can no longer get achievements.

I consider achievements part of the package/product I have paid for.

There was no mention of this on their website (and they've confirmed this on their Facebook page).

Do you believe I am I entitled to a refund?

No, in fact I would consider yourself lucky that this is the first issue you have ran into. There is a reason why most companies region lock their games and it's mostly because of price.

My understanding is, it is a Steam key but due to regional restrictions you had to activate the key via a VPN however you can't run the game through Steam natively or else it won't run due to those restrictions, hence the need to add the game's executable as a non-Steam game?

My understanding is, it is a Steam key but due to regional restrictions you had to activate the key via a VPN however you can't run the game through Steam natively or else it won't run due to those restrictions, hence the need to add the game's executable as a non-Steam game?

Ah ok, so that's why the achievements don't work. I was thinking it was sold as a Steam Key but the seller told him to add it as "non-steam" which obviously wouldn't have achievements at all.

As for Steam key refunds, I'm pretty certain you can't get refunded from resellers even before you redeem it. Check GreenMan Gaming's policy for instance: http://www.greenmangaming.com/about/refund-policy/

The only time Steam will even refund you is when you haven't played the game at all or such a small amount of time spent playing has passed (usually <1hr). You're pretty SOL unless they make a 1 time gesture of goodwill.

Topic moved

Yep, my guess he's SOL too since the key was activated. This is one reason why I try to avoid releases with region restrictions - if there are region restrictions I can at least purchase the UK English version a little cheaper than US retail from those sites, which usually works fine in the US without a VPN.