Couple kicked out of McDonald's, for over-staying

Disagree.

You are entitled to your opinion.  However, I still think military service aside - a man and woman in their 80s deserve a little bit of common respect.  These people deserved to be treated better - for nothing else, because they were loyal customers.  No matter.  McDonald's has apologized and made reparations.  A right wronged - lesson learned - and one free "scrunch" for life.  Ain't America grand.  God bless.

However, I still think military service aside - a man and woman in their 80s deserve a little bit of common respect.

If you're suggesting that they deserve more respect because of their age then I disagree. As for the conduct of the staff, I certainly don't consider it appropriate?especially the part where they deliberately brushed dirt towards them?but it would be ridiculous if we had an article every time someone who worked at McDonald's was rude. This is the sort of thing people rant on Facebook about (and before you say anything my grandad is 89 and uses Facebook on his iPad) - it certainly doesn't warrant media attention.

If you're suggesting that they deserve more respect because of their age then I disagree. As for the conduct of the staff, I certainly don't consider it appropriate?especially the part where they deliberately brushed dirt towards them?but it would be ridiculous if we had an article every time someone who worked at McDonald's was rude. This is the sort of thing people rant on Facebook about (and before you say anything my grandad is 89 and uses Facebook on his iPad) - it certainly doesn't warrant media attention.

Then we will agree to disagree - but I believe the elderly are entitled to a degree of respect.  You can attribute it to my upbringing, we were taught to always be courteous and respectful - especially to our elders.  As to what warrants media attention, that is left entirely up to the media to decide.  This article started off as a small local news spot and grew to garner national coverage.  It probably has something to do with most people's disdain over the treatment of this adorable couple.

Wow this thread still goin on? 

If you're suggesting that they deserve more respect because of their age then I disagree.

Why do you disagree?

In general, wisdom and experience gets more respect from me from an elder than the wisdom and experience of some 20 yr old. We could micro priortorize everyones level of respect for each other individual based on the life they have led or currently lead but that just falls into judging other people despite our imperfect selves. So I stand behind the sentiment that elders have survived and learned through the harsh rigors of everyday life more so than those descending and have earned a special level of respect in a society. Plus just suffering from the effects of old age deserves its own respect. I can barely get out of bed half the time at the age of 37, I can only imagine me at 80 trying to get out of bed in the morning geez. Remember, those of us that survive long enough, will be old and it would be very arrogant to say that you will still think the same way and believe in the same things as you do now. That's where wisdom comes with time.

Besides, if you want good advice in life, who better to ask than the old?

Then we will agree to disagree - but I believe the elderly are entitled to a degree of respect.

I maintain that they don't deserve respect simply because of their age.

It probably has something to do with most people's disdain over the treatment of this adorable couple.

That's your projection. I see a couple who refused to leave a restaurant when asked and who sought to cause trouble by airing their grievances in the media through the exploitation of his military service - that to me is not "adorable"; it's petty and manipulative.

In general, wisdom and experience gets more respect from me from an elder than the wisdom and experience of some 20 yr old.

Respect should be based on one's actions and accomplishments, not the passing of time. It may so happen that older people generally warrant more respect but it's not because of their age. I know plenty of young people who warrant a lot more respect than plenty of elderly people.

Well, he did serve in WWII, so your opinion of veterans of the Korean, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq wars have no bearing on a story like this.

But back on topic, I have seen the signs for maximum 30 minute stay in fast food restaurants, but it's normally only enforced if they are busy. It's way more than enough time to eat.

He didn't serve in WWII.

He was too young.

He didn't serve in WWII.

He was too young.

Actually possibly - consider this

1 September 1939 ? 2 September 1945

If you would consider 1944 D-Day he could have.. remember 10 week basic then straight to the Front.  

June 6th minus  10 weeks (so his birthday for 18 would have to be at least before the 3rd week in March.) (Which also means that his birthday has not came this year which would be 88 not 87) That would make him joining at 18 right after a birth day  in 1944... Not by your 1943 example. And even if he joined after that but at least 10 weeks  that  before 1945 date .. He could have-  It does not say how long he served or which branch.

Actually possibly - consider this

1 September 1939 ? 2 September 1945

If you would consider 1944 D-Day he could have.. remember 10 week basic then straight to the Front.  

June 6th minus  10 weeks (so his birthday for 18 would have to be at least before the 3rd week in March.) (Which also means that his birthday has not came this year which would be 88 not 87) That would make him joining at 18 right after a birth day  in 1944... Not by your 1943 example. And even if he joined after that but at least 10 weeks  that  before 1945 date .. He could have-  It does not say how long he served or which branch.

He is from the U.S.A. they joined in 1941, December 8th so nearly 1942.

They would not let him enlist at that age.

Was in a McDonalds in Illinois this weekend and it had 30 minute loitering signs up around the place. And a security guard lol.

When I worked in McDonalds a few years back (in Canada) we didn't really have such a rule (or a guard). We'd get the homeless sorts in during the overnight (lobby never closed) and we'd let them sit there all night watching TV and drinking about 3 gallons of coffee or pop for 89 cents or whatever it cost lol.

I have family who lied about their age and enlisted early at 16/17... in the UK. I'm not sure how strict they were in the UK, or the US.

You seem to forget the War lasted for the USA until 1945- At joining at 18 he still could have easily served during that time frame of  1944 (no earlier than the third week of March or the age does not fit)-1945.

The article says he is a WWII veteran  -

And let us say to make this an easy example to follow  that he joined Service JANUARY 1, 1945 and served up until the War ending in September 6, 1945

The US would still classify him as a WWII vet

2014 minus 1945= Was 69 years ago then with that example add the joining at 18 years the = 87 fits .which would mean that by that He Went to the 10 week basic in January then to the Front from March through September 1945 (The front also meaning -  The fight with Japan)

That's your projection ...

No.  It's a viable explanation of how a small town local news spot ended up garnering national attention.  No matter - it's over at this point.  McDonald's has publicly apologized and made restitution.  It is my guess that neither the employee who swept dust at the couple and told them to leave or the manager who agreed and insisted they leave are any longer employed there.

I have family who lied about their age and enlisted early at 16/17... in the UK. I'm not sure how strict they were in the UK, or the US.

You can join the military in the United States at the age of 17.  During the time of World War II, that age was a mere 16.  It was not unheard of for people to join as young as 15 with parental consent.  There was a lot of patriotism and support for the war - it was not unheard of for recruiters to "turn a blind eye" to recruits they knew were too young.  I do not doubt this man served in the war as he claims.

You seem to forget the War lasted for the USA until 1945- At joining at 18 he still could have easily served during that time frame of  1944 (no earlier than the third week of March or the age does not fit)-1945.

The article says he is a WWII veteran  -

And let us say to make this an easy example to follow  that he joined Service JANUARY 1, 1945 and served up until the War ending in September 6, 1945

The US would still classify him as a WWII vet

2014 minus 1945= Was 69 years ago then with that example add the joining at 18 years the = 87 fits .which would mean that by that He Went to the 10 week basic in January then to the Front from March through September 1945 (The front also meaning -  The fight with Japan)

The media lie through their teeth.

They can add anything in to sensationalise an event.

A veteran is someone that spent the whole duration of WWII, not enough time to share n.y.l.o.n.s. with women for some hanky panky!

Most fast food chains have an unwritten 30-45 minute lobby limit, some post it, most dont, but its still there, but what I dont get is if they were regulars, shouldnt they have been left alone?

He is not merely a veteran - he is a veteran of World War II.  In other words, one of the very few surviving members of "the Greatest Generation."  That is, a generation of men and women deserving of our respect - not only for what they contributed to our nation - but to the entire world.  In short - it is relevant, in every way.  This man has earned the respect that he is rightly due.  His sacrifices for his country should at the very least afford him a few extra minutes in "the iconic" American restaurant.

With no disrespect to those in the Greatest Generation, I see few reasons to afford a 'veteran' any special treatment that I would not offer to any other person in their eighties/nineties. Just being a veteran is in my opinion, no special reason to sanctify someone. In addition, many people assume veteran = served in combat when a 'veteran' may have served as a non-combat supply clerk; so to assume great sacrifice just because he is a 'veteran' is in my opinion also misguided (though supply clerk is also an important job). 

Now don't get me wrong, because I am very grateful for what veterans have done, and there are many out there who have sacrificed for the benefit of others, willingly or unwillingly. But to automatically accord someone special treatment, over and above the usual high standards that should apply, simply because they are a 'veteran' is in my opinion not the best way to do things.