VPN increases internet speed? Confused!

I bought a VPN from Private Internet Access so I can watch Hulu and some other services from the US. I noticed something strange about my speed.

Here is a Speedtest NOT connected to the VPN:

3364198860.png

igxpgx.png

And here it is connected to the VPN to a London server:

3364201167.png

4gn9xy.png

What is actually going on here? I only noticed this when I was suddenly able to stream 720p video on YouTube without buffering every 3 seconds.

Traffic shaping / bandwidth management? I'm guessing you're restricting your traffic to a single port which is not likely a common port either (e.g. not 80, 443, 21) - maybe whatever policy or system in-place doesn't get involved via your VPN port connection or can't identify the type of traffic against their rules.

It could also be the routing your traffic is now taking is more efficient (which says a lot about your ISP, really).

Good on you, I say!

Could mean your ISP is throttling different services. If that's the case when you go through the VPN it would be faster because they can't do packet inspection.

I had this before! I can only assume that the Speedtest Server you are using on the VPN is closer to the exit point of the VPN than the one you were using when you weren't connected to a VPN and its reporting that speed?

Hello,

I can only assume that the Speedtest Server you are using on the VPN is closer to the exit point of the VPN than the one you were using when you weren't connected to a VPN and its reporting that speed?

London ~150

London < 50

I think Chuck is the only one that noticed this indirectly :huh:

Hello,

London ~150

London < 50

I think Chuck is the only one that noticed this indirectly :huh:

the speedtest isn't what i noticed as strange, but the download (speed increased); anyways i think Aergan is right:traffic shaping from your ISP is the reason you get slower speeds in the first example (they are throttling services that can't identify in the second one).

Hello,

the speedtest isn't what i noticed as strange, but the download (speed increased); anyways i think Aergan is right:traffic shaping from your ISP is the reason you get slower speeds in the first example (they are throttling services that can't identify in the second one).

No, I mean, traffic shaping/filtering/throttling/etc could be all a reason but lets not take away either the VPNs connection location either.

Question for you - what is suppose to be your bandwidth down/up provided to you by your isp?  If your not seeing that or at least close with a normal connection then contact them as to why.

As to vpn having an effect on your speed, this could go both ways.  I have a server in the NL that at this time of the day I can just rock my whole pipe down from.

post-14624-0-51420500-1394621611.png

3.4MBps is my whole pipe

3365167614.png

But I will do the same download later today and be lucky to get 300KBps down - I route it through my vps in Las Vegas - which is the clearly the wrong direction, and I see 2.5 to 3MBps again.  There are plenty of things that can cause slowdowns on the net, your path can and does change, where and who your isp peers with, etc. And sure its possible your isp is doing some sort of shaping/limiting/throttling/etc..

Do this same speed test at different parts of the day and see what you get..  When I get home from work I will update and show you what sort of speeds I get then, speed test will still show the same - but the download from that server in NL will be very limited.  And if anything this is more prime time in EU than evening in the US.

Have you tried running the speedtest from a server nearer your location?

I've used IPVanish VPN for about a year now and have had great speeds using their US servers. Haven't tested it overseas yet, but my cousin who lives in England with her husband tried it per my recommendation and they were able to stream NFL just fine in London.

By using the Atlanta atl-a02 server, it had a response time of 10ms 

Upload: 31.02 Mbps

Download: 12.09 Mbps

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of UK ISPs will prioritise services during peak hours depending on your ISP Package and what port you're using. 

I.E. I'm with plusnet on an unlimited fibre package so under my priceplan, network traffic depending, nothing I do will be throttled or bottlenecked depending on what port im using (eg, if I'm using port 21 during peak hours for FTP on a cheaper price plan, service speed will be reduced).

There's a good chance as already mentioned, as you're through a VPN, that service port isn't being throttled by the ISP so will allow you faster downloads from your remote server than to do it directly over the open connection to your ISP.