Password Managers; what is a good one?

Im using Last Pass, not tried any others so can't really offer an informed opinion but its pretty simple to use and works for what I need.

Stores passwords and will generate complex passwords when signing up or changing passwords for existing sites.

Keepass. You can use keyfiles, which is a big security enhancement, it has a number of features designed to defeat some keyloggers and clipboard sniffers, and it's multiplatform. I use it with MiniKeepass on iOS and it works like a charm.

I use LastPass myself, and it works well across just about every platform and device there is. Already used the iPhone app a few times and it works really well.

Have also used KeePass, which is good too if you want control over how/where your database is stored, but you do sacrifice some usability and convenience. Don't know about the iPhone apps, but the Windows Phone one worked ok-ish (feels clunky after using LastPass on iOS).

I have been using KeePass for years. Haven't really tested any others.

Keepass is multi-platform, as already mentioned. Works in my Windows and Android. I synchronise the DB file on all my devices.

KeePass also has a lot of add-ins you can use, if you find any you fancy.

One Password - Works on all popular devices, can sync via Dropbox or a network share if you wish, or you can copy the data to your other devices manually.

KeePass hands down.

My passwords are now very complex and yet I don't need to know or type a single one of them.  Auto-type saves me hours every month.

I came from LastPass but moved to KeePass as the target for my passwords isn't always a website. Windows UAC is heavily used where I work. I get prompted for my password at least 10 times an hour.  Each time a Ctrl+Alt+A is all it takes and KeePass types it for me.

Another one for Keepass, been using it for years, on Windows, iOS, Android and Linux, all sync'd via dropbox.

Simple to use, with plenty of plugin, although I've never used them.

Another +1 for lastpass - been using them for quite a few years.  If you want to use on mobile devices you need the premium version which is $1 a month.. One of the nice features that maybe others have, not sure but I do like is the security test

This can really help you secure your different sites with different passwords and up the strength of them, etc.

example here is mine just ran

post-14624-0-77827900-1394625313.png

The duplicate password sites is number that should be really low!!  Now as long as your aware of which sites it might be the same site under different url, it could a say different sites at work that use singlesignon, etc.  But running through such a test should help you clean up and be more aware of what sites your using duplicates or weak on, etc.

example

post-14624-0-45325100-1394625463.png

When there was that issue with neowin dns, I saved it in lastpass - well of course this is going to be the same password its the same site, etc. But now I can remove that site to bump my score ;)  Everyone likes to see higher scores on tests..

This really helps me since I have a bad habit of using a common password when I sign up for new site, this is VERY BAD HABIT!!!  But the password is secure - but its easy for me to remember so I tend to use it out of again BAD HABIT!!  But every so often I run this test and go and fix up these sites where I wasn't thinking or forgot to use the generate password feature at the get go of creating an account somewhere, etc.

Another feature that premium gets you is lots of multifactor options - I for one use the offline grid I have in my wallet that I can use to access my vault from untrusted computers.  This would prevent someone from guessing or my STRONG lastpass password or even if they knew it they would still need to use the grid to get in.

I am a big fan of lastpass -- check it out.

A vote for 1Password for me, although LastPass does look good.  The latest version of 1P for Mac has some of the features +BudMan has listed above, v4 for Windows which is currently in beta will also have the auditing feature.  Great for seeing at a glance what sites you have duplicated passwords for, or the age of passwords.

I was wondering since there a lot of password managers around, like KeePass, LastPass etc (http://www.informationweek.com/security/risk-management/10-top-password-managers/d/d-id/1109759?page_number=1) which one is the best (and easiest to use)?

And most of all... do they work?

best one i've ever come across is the Opera Wand (part of Opera 12) . unfortunately that's not in development any more... I've yet to come across anything that comes close to that

Another KeePass user here. I can't trust this data to be on anyone's servers, but my own.

best one i've ever come across is the Opera Wand (part of Opera 12) . unfortunately that's not in development any more... I've yet to come across anything that comes close to that

I replaced it with lastpass 

One Password - Works on all popular devices, can sync via Dropbox or a network share if you wish, or you can copy the data to your other devices manually.

I am a huge fan of 1password.  A big reason why is because they have been very open about the encryption used since the whole nsa/snowden thing happened last summer.  Plus it syncs over dropbox.

• Like 1

I've tried most of them on the market, but Roboform is the only one I have stuck with.  I love the interface, ease of use and professional look compared to the alternatives.