can't see PS4 or Xbox One lasting more than 5 years.

I'm getting so tired of the which console is more powerful. The spec that both system has I Dont see it lasting more than 5 years. Technology is going so fast and the new consoles are already outdated by a few years now. Can't see myself getting either. Does anyone feel this way?

• Like 1

I'm getting so tired of the which console is more powerful. The spec that both system has I Dont see it lasting more than 5 years. Technology is going so fast and the new consoles are already outdated by a few years now. Can't see myself getting either. Does anyone feel this way?

I don't really see them being relevant over three years from now.  They're already weak compared to a relatively cheap PC and that's a gap that's just going to get bigger.

We didn't really expect the Xbox 360/PS3 to last so long though and they kept going, so I'm not writing off their prospects...I'm just not impressed.

• Like 3

Naw... Both the X1 and PS4 have improved greatly in the 4months they have been on store shelves...

I sure that there is a TON left in the tank for both, for years to come... I'm gonna enjoy this ride...

This generation is probably my last go round with consoles...

• Like 1

These consoles will last a good 10 years, take the PS3 for example. It is still bringing out quality games and its 3 years out from its 10 year cycle. Can't see the same happening with the PS4. 

I'd expect a similar lifespan to this Gen. The average consumer isn't choosing between consoles and PCs. They're choosing between different consoles so the fact that they don't stack up to PCs isn't really a factor. They're better than the old Gen and sooner or later games will dry up on the old gen and that's all that matters.

• Like 3

You think at the moment. Games are being released with multiplatform in mind. So devs are making sure the game is feasible on last gen consoles too.

When they start concentrating on current gen only. That's when we'll start seeing what these consoles are made of.

Look at the current gen only games, they're looking great.

These consoles will last probably just as long as their older consoles.

We didn't really have that problem last gen at launch because of the jump to HD and the introduction of a proper online platform.

I still think that they should have released the consoles this holiday instead of last year.

These consoles will last a good 10 years, take the PS3 for example. It is still bringing out quality games and its 3 years out from its 10 year cycle. Can't see the same happening with the PS4. 

Wait, you say PS4/XO will last a good 10 years, with PS3 as an example. And then you say you can't see it happening with PS4/XO?

• Like 3

I think 5 years for sure, too much money sunk in to develop them so they have to make money back before you sink more money into a new one.  I'm betting we won't see new ones for 7 years again.  Unless the R&D costs are less, because they're using close to standard hardware just upgrading it without forcing the developers to learn things all over would be possible and way to cut costs.  But still, both have the 360 and PS3 still selling, those would have to stop first before we look at new ones.    I think you can still find a PS2 but really no one wants to support 3 generations of consoles, 2 tops is anything developers will really do and that for only a limited time.   I think this year will be the last one where developers release games on current and last gen systems.  2015 will probably see the majority of games being on the new systems only.

Technology is not moving any slower or faster than it did for last gen which saw a good 7 years and technically it was still going strong with games like The Last of Us really pushing the consoles. 

Technology is not moving any slower or faster than it did for last gen which saw a good 7 years and technically it was still going strong with games like The Last of Us really pushing the consoles. 

ReRAM/MRAM/DDR4/Hybrid Memory Cube, NVMe, OLED, HSA...

I'm not saying anything is happening overnight, but massive improvements might happen sooner than you'd think.

Nintendo should strike in 3 years. Sadly they are not ready. But it would be the time for them to retake the crown and put both Sony and Microsoft in a bad position.

• Like 1

This generation is cheaper for the manafactures. Profit day one. x86 acrchitecture makes backwards compatability a lot easier going forward and cheaper to vastly improve performance. If VR takes off, Microsoft and Sony will need to release better hardware sooner rather than later. I think this generation will be 4-5 years before seeing new hardware but new boxes will be fully backwards compatible, people will just slide painlessly into the next generation. I think it's going to be great from now on.

This generation is cheaper for the manafactures. Profit day one. x86 acrchitecture makes backwards compatability a lot easier going forward and cheaper to vastly improve performance. If VR takes off, Microsoft and Sony will need to release better hardware sooner rather than later. I think this generation will be 4-5 years before seeing new hardware but new boxes will be fully backwards compatible, people will just slide painlessly into the next generation. I think it's going to be great from now on.

If this happens, I'll be happy.

But that would also eat into streaming gaming, so I'm still not convinced that the next gen will be backwards compatible with this gen.

I do not understand why some folks obsess over hardware & technology becoming old, as if anything that isn't cutting edge is somehow irrelevant.

It's not.

I mean, forget the new machines, I still have an Xbox 360 & use it almost daily. There is a huge catalog of games to keep me fully entertained. I almost certainly won't be getting a new machine for at least a good 10-12 months.

So why you think that just because you think the specs are "outdated" means anything, is beyond me.

• Like 2

you see tech moving faster? but i've got to say that this is the first generation of systems that i had to look really hard to see a difference from the previous generation. This might also be the first generation of gaming consoles where there's yet to be something that i see where i think... there's no way the previous generation could have done that.

I don't see myself buying either of the consoles either unless some impressive exclusives start coming out.  Forza MIGHT tempt me eventualy.

I think the difference here is that when the 360 was released, it was priced such that a PC of comparable "capabilities" was a heck of a lot more expensive. You couldn't build anything impressive for $300-400 at the time.

Today, $400-500 can get you a pretty impressive PC.  SSDs, CPUs, GPUs, etc are all so much cheaper now.

The problem is you are looking at this from a specs perspective.  Both Microsoft and Sony got spanked last generation by the Wii which wasn't even competitive in terms of specs.  Sony spent a fortune developing the Cell processor and Blu-Ray to have bleeding edge specs just to have developers complain about how hard it was to program for and consumers complain about how much the blu-ray drive made the console cost (even though they sold it at a loss).  So what consumers have taught console developers is do NOT develop bleeding edge hardware.  Make something familiar for developers and use mostly standard components because consumers don't want to pay for extensive R&D and developers don't want to learn new hardware.  So now what we get is slightly tweaked PC hardware and they don't care if you can make a better PC because most people wont.  You could make a better PC than the Xbox 360 or PS4 for less money YEARS ago (DX10 cards came out in what 2006 for example) yet they've soldiered on. If the specs being obsolete compared to computers was a reason for making a new console then we'd have had this new generation of consoles back in 2007 or so.  This generation is going to last a long time and they may end up at the end of the generation being just dumb terminals playing games where all the real work is done in the cloud and just streamed to them.

The console specs will matter this generation as much as they did last generation.... both will sell great, for years to come.

Its doubtful that the other sources of gaming will take majority this generation.

especially since they will have much lower specs, worse games, focused on casual games and just a limited gaming experience that cannot out sell the current consoles.

A smaller, faster, better alternative that will be a game changer is still in the works. technology/affordability isn't there yet. 

Both Microsoft and Sony got spanked last generation by the Wii which wasn't even competitive in terms of specs.

Only early on. Wii died off around 2010.

You don't get to judge the PS4/X1 ultimate performance until they fully focus on just 8th generation console and modern PC  :/

However, watch dogs demonstrate a good example of next generation graphic when they unveiled it at 2012 E3 and hopefully they still preserve those gorgeous graphic exclusive for PC as we saw the recent trailer completely resemble the xbox 360 and ps3 quality. Then we can get a good idea of what ps4 and x1 will probably look like even do the performance discrepancy is palpable  :iiam:

I don't really see them being relevant over three years from now.  They're already weak compared to a relatively cheap PC and that's a gap that's just going to get bigger.

We didn't really expect the Xbox 360/PS3 to last so long though and they kept going, so I'm not writing off their prospects...I'm just not impressed.

The masses don't care about playing games on PC.

Only early on. Wii died off around 2010.

Maybe peaked but not died.  It has still outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 with the most recent numbers.  It's total sales are over 100 million while Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are in the 80's.  I'm not a Wii fan, I don't have one, never wanted one and I would argue it's really more of a late comer to the PS2  and Xbox generation than a competitor with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in terms of specs.  That said the numbers don't lie, they used lower spec hardware and totally outsold the competition.  They did so by so much it's unlikely that the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 will ever catch them even if their sales have dried up now.