can't see PS4 or Xbox One lasting more than 5 years.

While i already have a wii u, i probably will do like i did with the last gen consoles and wait like 4-5 years to get one when it comes to sony and microsoft. The libraries will hopefully be decent on at least one of those two consoles by then.

Though despite their meager libraries at the moment, they both have better libraries than the Wii U :)

Though despite their meager libraries at the moment, they both have better libraries than the Wii U :)

Not really. I'd say the Wii U has more worth playing on it at the moment(and this is even before we have mario kart, smash, X, etc). Aside from a certain few launch titles, the ps4 and one both have very little on them now and in the near future that you can't play elsewhere.

The only games worth playing on it atm is two Mario games that offer limited playtime, Forza alone offers more playtime that two short Mario games. By the time those games come out(especially smash which might not even make this year as it seems, with no launch date yet) the libraries for the next gen consoles have grown even more. And unlike the PS4 and One there no indie or "arcade" scene to talk about either. It's the same crappy small games that's been there since launch.

I'm getting so tired of the which console is more powerful. The spec that both system has I Dont see it lasting more than 5 years. Technology is going so fast and the new consoles are already outdated by a few years now. Can't see myself getting either. Does anyone feel this way?

No chance. 

Last gen lasted and this gen will too. People are flocking in their millions to purchase this gens consoles and those millions are highly unlikely to just forget about them in the space of 5 years.

MS and Sony will continue to push and improve the units as time goes on just like last gen. 

I think we can expect them to last around 4 years. Purely because we will never see another gen gap like the last one again.

Recession probably had something to do with it and also consider that the non arrival of new stuff almost bright a lot of games retail places to their knees.

It is in everyone's interest to bring out a new console in 3-4 years.

The only games worth playing on it atm is two Mario games that offer limited playtime, Forza alone offers more playtime that two short Mario games. By the time those games come out(especially smash which might not even make this year as it seems, with no launch date yet) the libraries for the next gen consoles have grown even more. And unlike the PS4 and One there no indie or "arcade" scene to talk about either. It's the same crappy small games that's been there since launch.

Saying the mario titles(nsmbu and 3DW) are the only titles worth playing on the wii u right now is about as accurate as saying something like 'halo is the only worthy exclusive on the 360'(which it's not).

Just because Smash doesn't have a date yet doesn't mean it cant be out this year. Especially when there's still so much of the year left. Also remember that nintendo often waits till closer to a games release than many other publishers to give a solid date for things.

As for indie stuff, Nintendo actually has quite a bit of indie stuff coming up.

Coming up.... Seriously the console has been out for one and a half years, and their game selection has been pretty much static in that period. The indie section hasn't changed in the last year... It's a little late for coming up.

And no saying the Mario games are the only ones worth playing is fairly accurate when they have a to total of like 10 games in 1,5 years, vs the hundreds of other games on the 360 compared to Halo.

And most of the games on the system aren't even designed tobe played on a big HD screen, but tobe played on the pad.

To the original point, personally believe neither MS nor Sony want to have X1 and PS4 as primary devices for more than five years this time. It's great 360 and PS3 are so enduring, and Hawk is right, they will continue to sell and have software made for them at least until 2016, but technology should move a little faster. Seven-eight years is too long, five is the right number.

The thing is, it's not just MS, consumers don't want it either.

Look at the situation right now, there's hardly any games for them, more frequent releases will mean more frequent platform shifts, less time to adapt, more time with less games on the platforms and all that.

Granted there are ways to mitigate it. Ways that where suggested before the new generation was announced and the platform change was announced, and the change to X86 made it rather impossible. But now that they have moved to X86 they can do this on future upgrade. That is to release new hardware using nearly the same hardware platform, and have the games run on either platform with different settings. higher res textures better effects higher game res, and all that. with a bigger platform change they can still do it by having two binaries on the disc.  This way you can "upgrade" the platform and not have a problem with few games at launch. And backwards compatibility is dead easy, you could even upgrade old games by upgrading the res(though in many situations on consoles this requires a patch of the software binaries so it would require the dev to still be around).

So if they decide to do something like this you could very well see a new generation in 4-5 new years

• Like 1

I think we can expect them to last around 4 years. Purely because we will never see another gen gap like the last one again.

Recession probably had something to do with it and also consider that the non arrival of new stuff almost bright a lot of games retail places to their knees.

It is in everyone's interest to bring out a new console in 3-4 years.

You think consoles are computer desktops that can be replace every 3 to 4 years? Consoles last more longer because they can be updated with firmware to improve the GUI and fix any issue with lag or any bug to speed things up. Plus the companies behind the games they need time to create very good games, a game can take years to create... imagine a console now that came last year and now will be replace in 2016 and there are several games that will come to that platform but it will be release in 2016... so now they are going to release a game in an already obsolete platform. This is why consoles last usually almost 8 years.

The thing is, it's not just MS, consumers don't want it either.

Look at the situation right now, there's hardly any games for them, more frequent releases will mean more frequent platform shifts, less time to adapt, more time with less games on the platforms and all that.

Granted there are ways to mitigate it. Ways that where suggested before the new generation was announced and the platform change was announced, and the change to X86 made it rather impossible. But now that they have moved to X86 they can do this on future upgrade. That is to release new hardware using nearly the same hardware platform, and have the games run on either platform with different settings. higher res textures better effects higher game res, and all that. with a bigger platform change they can still do it by having two binaries on the disc.  This way you can "upgrade" the platform and not have a problem with few games at launch. And backwards compatibility is dead easy, you could even upgrade old games by upgrading the res(though in many situations on consoles this requires a patch of the software binaries so it would require the dev to still be around).

So if they decide to do something like this you could very well see a new generation in 4-5 new years

I know I don't speak for everyone and no doubt someone is going to reply and with "you're in the minority", but I was more than ready for new consoles by 2010. Especially when every game started to ship on UE3 and they all looked the same, XBL and PSN were being pushed to their limits with possibilities and I wouldn't say the visuals they are pulling off with PS4/X1 were impossible 4 years ago. It was enough to push me back to PCs and as a consequence MS/Sony miss out on my ?. It wasn't because they didn't want to make new consoles, it's because the industry is a complete mess with growing dev costs. I'll never understand how they managed to ship 2 unfinished, underpowered products when R&D started almost 8/9 years ago :no: The very fact they've chosen the cheap parts is probably the biggest hint that they don't want another long generation. Shifts in technology and how we game change too much to for so long. Both MS and Sony have said it themselves that they released PS3 and 360 at bad times when everything started to shift because their eyes were pretty much just set on the SD to HD leap. Everything else had to be hacked into the OS which we all know ended up with sluggish experiences. They won't repeat that and I'm sure future proofing is very much planned for but there's only so much you can do, especially if something totally left field comes in and changes everything. The obvious pick right now would be VR but who knows what else is around the corner.

• Like 1

Nintendo should strike in 3 years. Sadly they are not ready. But it would be the time for them to retake the crown and put both Sony and Microsoft in a bad position.

Yeah, while Wii U is very underwhelming, they can make a console in a couple of years that will be vastly superior.

We are in 2013-2014, I would have hoped for new gen console to be able to push 1080p without any problems.  Not this 720p/900p or whatever game publisher use.

And with the push to 4K... I don't know if these console will last that long.

It looks like Infamous will only be 30fps.  Talk about last gen. This gen is really looking pathetic.

Agreed. They released new consoles for the sake of releasing new consoles.

It looks like Infamous will only be 30fps.  Talk about last gen. This gen is really looking pathetic.

Don't be so ridiclous. 30fps is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of people. It certainly does not define the generation as "pathetic"...

Don't be so ridiclous. 30fps is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of people. It certainly does not define the generation as "pathetic"...

Just because a number of people don't know any better isn't valid justification.

• Like 1

If thats the case 720p is adequate for the vast majorirty.  In fact the the 360 or PS3 are adequate for the vast majority. Face it both consoles suck.

• Like 1

these are going to last almost 10 or so years.  

Good lord I hope not. I know they'll squeeze more and more out of the hardware but I don't think there's enough for 10 years. 

If thats the case 720p is adequate for the vast majorirty.  In fact the the 360 or PS3 are adequate for the vast majority. Face it both consoles suck.

In your opinion, of course :rolleyes:

Just because a number of people don't know any better isn't valid justification.

It's adequate because people don't care to know or simply just don't care. No ones going to cancel a pre-order of the next big game because it's 30 fps... well maybe there's a few.

Sure, but that doesn't mean people don't want to better looking games. I couldn't say whether the new consoles suck. If they "suck"(and I assume you mean in a technical sense) that should be pretty evident in a few years.

Though I'll probably have one by then. XD

It's adequate because people don't care to know or simply just don't care. No ones going to cancel a pre-order of the next big game because it's 30 fps... well maybe there's a few.

No, it's not. Ignorance or apathy simply aren't valid justification, such thinking is regressive and harmful to the industry as a whole.

• Like 1

No, it's not. Ignorance or apathy simply aren't valid justification, such thinking is regressive and harmful to the industry as a whole.

How is it harmful to the industry at all?