Dual WAN routing

Go to solution Solved by sc302,

Question

yottabytewizard

I hope somebody can get me to the right way to handle this.

Currently I have 1 ISP which has symetric bandwith (5 Mbps Down/5 Up Mbps) and handles mostly VOIP (SIP) and web browsing. However as this is a very small amount of bandwidth for web browsing and general tasks I'm concidering get an additional ISP which has much more download (30 Mbps down / 3 Up).

I would like to route VOIP through the first ISP and everything else through the 2nd one. Can this be port based? Or IP based?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

sc302

Easiest way would be to physically segment the network, voice on one side data on the other.  If you can't provision it that way and are using the phone as also a access point for your computers you will need some way to direct your network traffic to one router vs the other router.  You can do this with a layer 3 switch or if you have a way to plug in both networks to a link balancer you should be able to segment the traffic based on what vlan they belong to.  If you can't do that you can prioritize traffic, but you really should be doing it based on physical segmentation or vlans.

MattL

Think it depends on your router if my memory serves me right.

+LogicalApex

Why all of the extra complexity? If you're going to do a faster pipe for browsing... Why not just use the faster pipe for both an use QoS tagging or VLANs to ensure VOIP has sufficient priority...

VoIP doesn't take a large amount of bandwidth. It just needs a stable line without getting bumped for other traffic.

yottabytewizard

Sweet, thanks! The best option seems to go for the L3 switch, as VOIP is done through software not hardphones.