[Update] Ex-Westboro Baptist Church Leader Fred Phelps is Dead

Ex-Westboro Baptist Church Leader Fred Phelps is Finally Dying

Fred Phelps, the one-time leader of the infamous "GOD HATES FAGS" church, is on his deathbed in Kansas. Hopefully, you can carry on with your day having learned of this terrible news.

Phelps' son Nathan, who left the church in 1980 and now lives in Canada working on behalf of LGBT rights, posted on Facebook late last night that his father is dying in a hospice in Topeka.

I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.

The legacy Phelps will leave is of having turned his religion into a sideshow, and of having made the notion of the protest a farce. We may never know the extent to which Phelps realized that his church moved the "cause" backwards, or whether he even gave a ####.

But we know that above all the Westboro Baptist Church loved attention, and now its ex-leader will die quietly as the world spins uninterrupted.

Source: Gawker

Good riddance.

EDIT: Updated: Link

Edited by Nick H.
Updated

But we know that above all the Westboro Baptist Church loved attention, and now its ex-leader will die quietly as the world spins uninterrupted.

And yet you reported on it :rolleyes:

Not going to be very quietly now is it?

With how dark, sick and twisted my sense of humor is.. I wouldn't put it past that Rock band who filmed a masturbation video on the westboro lawn to make an appearance at some point (I'm sure you can imagine the rest)

I wonder if people will picket his funeral.

We should start as we mean to go on and completely ignore his funeral. Just to prove that this man had zero impact on our lives other than being a mildly amusing, irritating prick.

• Like 5

So why was he excommunicated?

My guess would be some kind of power struggle. Also, there is the idea he himself might be a self-hating closet homosexual. Even the idea of such is potent ammunition in an internal power struggle amongst nutcases like WBC.

He was and is a nobody, I don't see why people get so wound up about him he didn't create any "god hates fags" legislation?  he doesn't host a "god hates fags" convention for political candidates ? He achieved nothing!

Direct your outrage at FRC, Values Voters summit, World Congress of Families etc the "god hates fags" organisations that are doing real damage.

We should start as we mean to go on and completely ignore his funeral. Just to prove that this man had zero impact on our lives other than being a mildly amusing, irritating prick.

Definitely, I'd never do anything like that because the Westboro feed off of attention.

Shame the majority of the family are so thick skulled and unrealistic that it wont stop it, the amount of members leaving is a good sign but i dont think this will be the end of it

Hopefully Louis Theroux does a 3rd special!

Problem with people that run groups like g-dhatesfags is, they probably want some muff diving or some bum fun themselves.

S/he that shouts the loudest has the most to hide.

I wonder if he will be buried dressed like the cop from YMCA.

If only his perverted and backward ideas would perish with him

I am sure the moron used to turn up to funerals of homosexuals to mock them.

We should get an angry mob of Lesbian women and homosexual men to turn up to his burial or cremation.

The should do what the aborigine's do with their dead.  

Hang them from a tree and let the Buzzards pick them dry.

I wonder if people will picket his funeral.

I though this too but then you would just be sinking to his level.