Migrate ancient Outlook Express DBX to the new outlook.com

Okay. So I'm having these issues. Customer of mine is using XP with bussiness email address in Outlook Express. (has outlook 2007, wanted both mailboxes on different programs because bla)

And its from an older pop3 email address hosted by some 3rd party (not important).

But now my customer wants that email address on her home pc, cell phone and tablet.

Knowing a 20mb pop3 box won't cut it. I wanted move the email addresses (customer uses less then 20 of them) to Microsoft Live Domains.

Have that set up and running, its retreiving mail from the pop3 account without a hitch.

But the main issue I run in against, is that... importing DBX files is pretty much impossible.

I can not risk just upgrading the computer and use the path of XP+OE to vista or 7 with windows live mail. Exported the DBX files. Tried to import them.

Well it does import the folders and contacts. But I can NOT import the emails.

No matter how I try, importing outlook.com doesn't do anything even though it claims to support importing from Outlook Express. (As Outlook.com does not support IE8 properly, and the email import only works with IE.... great)

I tried a tool that converts DBX files into pst files. All it does is like there are dozens of DBX files, create dozens of pst files. Which when imported, will be a giant mess. Sure I'll have the emails in it. In random folders all over the place.

And when using outlook 2007, 2010 or 2013 itself... When I try to import the folder that contains all the DBX files. It will only import contacts and folder structure.

I've also tried using Thunderbird to import it.

Googling doesn't help and I'm stuck. Some help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

All I want is those old emails synced on the MS/Outlook account.

Yeah I tried. I even booted up a VM with XP, installed outlook express and outlook. Tried importing it to both. Addresses and folders sorta load up. But emails refuse too.

Doesn't OE have an export feature, vs having to deal with all the dbx files, isn't there like folders.dbx, inbox.dbx,   Do you have access to the actual OE showing all the messages?  Just export them vs dealing with the dbx files directly.  I don't even have a XP machine running in VM an more ;)  I would have to fire one up to remind myself about OE..

Yeah I have access to the system. I did both export possibilities in OE. The default one and "exchange" one. Moved the entire archive folder to my VM. It's about 700mb of data compressed. But when importing, in outlook 2007/2013 it seems its doing all kinds of importing. But waiting it out (takes a good half hour) there is not an email to be found. Folder structure is intact and contacts are there like on the old OE.