Old Laptop vs PC startup times..

I just bought a new Samsung 840 evo SSD to replace my older SSD (corsair force 3) and put the old SSD into my laptop.

The laptop boots to desktop in about 5 seconds, couldn't be happier.

My PC however takes twice as long, but is much faster in terms of hardware. These are both clean installs of 8.1 so not sure why the laptop is faster, could someone explain why it could be?

PC Specs:

i7 3820 (4core) @ 3.6

16gb ram @ 2133mhz

Samsung 840 evo 250gb

GTX 670 FTW Sig 2

Laptop Specs:

i3 m370 (2 core) @ 2.4

6gb ram @ 1066mhz

Corsair Force 3 250gb

Intel HD onboard graphics

I thought SSD's slow down over time ...

Wear and Age
  • Though an SSD has no mechanism, its memory elements still experience wear. Flash has a maximum number of erase and write cycles before an individual memory cell stops working. The lifetime of each cell is slightly different, so some cells wear out faster than others. As they wear out, the drive no longer uses them, but as a drive ages, this process slows it down. Improved technology has considerably lengthened the average life of flash memory, though some wear is still a problem.

What part of the boot are you timing? The POST portion can vary between the two...

Also, the device discovery can be slower on the Desktop if you have more devices connected, such as USB drives.

I thought SSD's slow down over time ...

Wear and Age
  • Though an SSD has no mechanism, its memory elements still experience wear. Flash has a maximum number of erase and write cycles before an individual memory cell stops working. The lifetime of each cell is slightly different, so some cells wear out faster than others. As they wear out, the drive no longer uses them, but as a drive ages, this process slows it down. Improved technology has considerably lengthened the average life of flash memory, though some wear is still a problem.

The old SSD is definitely slower than the new one, but I just wonder why the laptop with older hardware is booting faster than my pc with newer

What part of the boot are you timing? The POST portion can vary between the two...

Also, the device discovery can be slower on the Desktop if you have more devices connected, such as USB drives.

Each stage is faster to be honest.

The initial post on the laptop is pretty much non existent, whereas the pc lists the hardrives then boots, but then the Windows loading screen takes twice as long on the pc too.

The PC does have USB devices connected but I've set the bios settings to basically only load the boot drive at boot... not sure how much that's working, seems it isn't really

Each stage is faster to be honest.

The initial post on the laptop is pretty much non existent, whereas the pc lists the hardrives then boots, but then the Windows loading screen takes twice as long on the pc too.

The PC does have USB devices connected but I've set the bios settings to basically only load the boot drive at boot... not sure how much that's working, seems it isn't really

You would have to exclude the POST times (you may get a faster boot on the Desktop if you switch to EFI) and disconnect all possible devices...

A good chunk of time on initial boot is the OS Kernel discovering all the attached devices and loading the proper drivers. If the device is slow to respond to identification requests that will slow down your boot...

You would have to exclude the POST times (you may get a faster boot on the Desktop if you switch to EFI) and disconnect all possible devices...

A good chunk of time on initial boot is the OS Kernel discovering all the attached devices and loading the proper drivers. If the device is slow to respond to identification requests that will slow down your boot...

ok thanks for the explanation!

Is EFI the same as UEFI?

I would say it is most likely any additional HDDs being slow to discover, in addition to, the laptop probably having an optimized quick boot enabled. I have the same behavior on my laptop vs desktop. EFI is the old specification name, UEFI the updated one. 

Look at Boot Duration under Application and Services logs/Microsoft/Diagnostics-Performance in eventviewer.  This should start counting as soon as windows gets the start command after the system is done with its POST.  It could be that the system is taking a little longer to finish its POST.

Some motherboards are super slow to post.  It might be worth going into the settings and making sure there aren't any timers set.

I always go with Asus since they tend to be very quick to post.