Does swearing offend you?

Does swearing offend you?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Does swearing offend you?

• Yes, swearing is a sin, you are all going to a bad place
    • Yea, I don't like it.. just think there could be other things said.
    • Neutral, I don't really swear, and small amounts don't bug me
    • No, swearing is cool with me.
    • I don't think of swearing as a special case.. a word is a word.

Following the recent debates in the Members Metropolis.. I was just curious as to the siding of the members.  How do you feel about swearing/curse words?

I for one swear quite often, I don't treat curse words or swear words as anything special, to me they are just a normal part of the language.

ASSUMING A MATURE AUDIENCE (caps because some people seem to not to be able to pick up on what was said, and troll out the "Think of the children" argument)...

A word is a word.  The swearing I use is generally for emphasis or a deliberate exclamation.  Substituting another word is quite frankly pathetic.

It is in no way indicative of a narrow vocabulary, nor a low intellect.

It offends some people?  So what?  Many things offend people but are accepted as society norms.

I enjoy swearing, I am good at it and inventive with it.  In fact the more inventive, the more enjoyable it is.

Swearing doesn't offend me, I tend to use the C--- mostly when I'm talking around friends and people see that was one of the most offensive words there is. However.. I see no point in swearing on a forum like this so the rule change doesn't affect me.

In the end swearing is an integral part of languages and nothing to be offended about.

Yes, you want a professional tone in tech-related topics. I can understand wanting to keep those parts of the forum clean. But getting all worked up because a random funny image contains a swear word? Come on now...

• Like 3

I'm both neutral and I think that they are just words. I mentioned before in one of these threads that I don't tend to recognise them as offensive words, although there's no need to take it to the levels of ###### which drops the f-bomb 163 times in 104 minutes. :s

EDIT: Really, filter? *sigh*

• Like 2

I don't mind people swearing as long as my son is not with me.  At 6, he loves to repeat everything he hears.

• Like 2

I am left wondering if the more puritanical US users and the more colourful UK users are at loggerheads here?

I mean, I call my mates "C**TS" all the time, as they do me.  It's just how we are. (Plus, I am a c**t ;) )

• Like 3

I used to hear my neighbours kids giving it full on boilerhouse  trooper in thier house through the windows, then I realised, thats not them swearing or being offensive, just them being normal, you cant filter evolution.

While its not up to me what people say, I try not to swear as I find it a bit weird. But if people want to do it, then I dont stop them, except my family.

Don't really mind swearing, don't really swear myself, but excessive swearing is not cool with me.

I don't like it when people swear in front of children. 

Nah, swearing doesn't offend me. What does annoy me is over-use of curse words in place of decent vocabulary. Swear words can be a very effective way of conveying emotion in conversation if used correctly, but just using the F-bomb as a precursor for a regular sentence comes across as unintelligent to me.

EDIT: Penn and Teller did an episode of Bull**** around Profanity which is quite entertaining. I'd recommend watching they're take on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4MITVLkKT0*)

* Mod's please remove this link if it breaks community rules.

As per normal, everything in moderation, also there is a time and place for it.

No point swearing for for the sake of it, nothing worse than walking past some young kids f'n and blindin' all over the place, just because they think it makes them sound big and hard.

Get a grip of your vocabulary first, then I'll be more impressed. 

Depends. Swear at my family then yea, it will offend me.  Swearing just joking around, no.  There is a time/place for it tho and if you cannot have a convo without it, then that may be a problem.

I would fit perfectly in to "Neutral, I don't really swear, and small amounts don't bug me".

On forums / websites I think members swearing all the time brings the tone of the website down significantly, i personally don't see how swearing brings anything constructive to Neowin. The website certainly gives the impression of been a lot more professional without it.

My personal opinion on it is i'm an adult, i expect to be able to expand on my vocabulary using some of the most passionate words available.

As with everything, it can be over used and mis-used.

I voted "neutral" as it was the closest to me. I swear a lot out of work and very little at work. It's not really appropriate at work (in an office) but it's fine every once in a while to express extreme emotions. For instance, if a production server goes down I think "oh sh--" is an appropriate response. However, if you're in a meeting just talking with your coworkers, it's not.

I used to work with a woman who would literally drop f-bombs like commas. It was so unprofessional, but she got away with it because she was an executive. Thankfully, she left for another job.

Not me, swearing is a part of all languages ( to my knowledge) and it's just another word as far as I am concerned. But then I feel I'm open minded. Just as public displays of affection don't bother me neither.