Tell him I can't pay and still fix it

I left my friends place to the grocery store to get some food because I haven't eat anything. Well a guy was in the parking lot try to get people to pay him to fix there car bumper or what not. So I guess when the guy saw my front bumper with a big dent in he ask me to pull over about my bumper. I told the guy that I can't pay anything to get it fix because I'm not working. Was laid off a few weeks ago. The guy said that to get it would cost $600 at the shop but he will do it for a hundred. Again, I told the guy sorry but I'm not working and can't pay anything at the time to get it fix.

so after a few minutes of going back and forward, he said let me fix it and you can decide what you can pay when you get out of the grocery store. I was sand off it about it but I was like okay but I'm not working and can't pay much of nothing

he fix the bumper which he did a good job only took him 3 minutes tops. I went into the store got my food and took out a $20. Went out and gave the guy a $20. He got upset and I was like I can't pay much of it. Not working and I told him that. He got upset and said that I was an ass and I said sorry but money is tight and I told you I can't pay much to nothing for it.

Was I wrong for only giving him a $20. Should I have not giving anything to him? I could pay him over 100 but I don't need when my next job will be. I was upfront with him about my jobless. He was pretty forceful to do the work.

Did a good job with the fixing the bumper.

No, he was wrong for harassing you into something you didn't want.

should I have not gave him anything?

If the guy really said, "he said let me fix it and you can decide what you can pay when you get out of the grocery store" then to bad for him. You gave him what you could.

If the guy didn't really say that, then I'd suggest you grow a pair and should've just told the guy to f**k off!

• Like 3

'he said let me fix it and you can decide what you can pay when you get out of the grocery store'. Was a minimum price set? If not, nothing to worry about. Get on with life.

If you didn't want the job done, should've said just No but he made a mistake saying pay anything so...

If the guy really said, "he said let me fix it and you can decide what you can pay when you get out of the grocery store" then to bad for him. You gave him what you could.

If the guy didn't really say that, then I'd suggest you grow a pair and should've just told the guy to f**k off!

'he said let me fix it and you can decide what you can pay when you get out of the grocery store'. Was a minimum price set? If not, nothing to worry about. Get on with life.

I'm sure he's disappointed that he didn't milk you for more, but that's the point - he's trying to make you feel like you shortchanged him for a service that you didn't really want in the first place.

He's happy with getting any money out of you.

no price was set. He was making a lot from other people for doing it. I said no many time but he would not let go.

Out of curiosity can we see what the dent was?

I can get a before and after in a few hours

He probably goes around kicking in people's bumper just to generate business.

Here's the thing with a debate - debate facts, don't make up pointless bullpoop to further an argument, as it just makes you seem unable to contribute in a proper way.

• Like 2

From what you have said, you were a bit silly to say, "ok." You should have stood your ground and said, "I have no job, I can't pay anything, therefore it doesn't matter what your service is worth; I cannot pay."

But look ahead. Will this impact you in any way other than morally/ethically? You've learnt from your mistake, you (hopefully) won't make it again. Know your limits - whether they be physical, financial, mental - and don't go overboard. (Y)

I used to work at a Walmart and had to deal with people like that on a daily basis. Crack, meth and heroin addicts.

What's sad is people like that obviously have skills that could get them good jobs, but that rather stick needles in their arns

Took him 3 minutes?

If it really did take him that long, i think you could have fixed it yourself.

To be honest though i'd have still said no at the "pay what you want" thing. A bloke offering to fix your bumper on the street is pretty weird anyway.

Well at least it would be in the UK.

• Like 2

$20 is enough. If you were seriously thinking of giving the guy $100, you could buy a new bumper cover for around that much depending on your car model.

$20 for that? Hell, I'd be struggling to hand over $10, especially as it's the sort of fix that I could most likely do by myself.

For the $300 he said you'd be paying at an auto shop, I'd expect some repair of the scrapes as well.

Took him 3 minutes?

If it really did take him that long, i think you could have fixed it yourself.

To be honest though i'd have still said no at the "pay what you want" thing. A bloke offering to fix your bumper on the street is pretty weird anyway.

Well at least it would be in the UK.

Fix the dent takes a few minutes but not the scratches part... because you will have to sand, primer, paint, etc   depends on paint type on that car... which takes you to do that in a few days so you make sure it looks perfect and match the paint on the rest of the car.