Top Gun Maverick (May 25, 2022)

'Top Gun 2' will feature Tom Cruise versus drones, says Jerry Bruckheimer

The long-rumored Top Gun 2 is almost certainly happening, at least according to producer Jerry Bruckheimer. In an interview with The Huffington Post last week, Bruckheimer expressed how determined he is to make a follow-up to the 1986 classic, and hinted at what themes the movie will explore. In the sequel, Tom Cruise will reprise his role as Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, and face off against drones to prove just how essential volleyball-loving airmen are.

During the interview on HuffPost Live, Bruckheimer said he thinks "we're getting closer and closer" to making the sequel a reality. Talk about the movie has been bubbling for years, especially after Paramount tapped Bruckheimer and director Tony Scott to return for another outing in 2010. The Pirates of the Caribbean producer said that Scott had figured out a way to tell the story right (in what sounds like an action movie take on the John Henry tall tale) but his suicide in 2012 almost scuttled the project. "The concept is, basically, are the pilots obsolete because of drones," said Bruckheimer. "Cruise is going to show them that they're not obsolete. They're here to stay."

Neither Cruise nor a director have signed on for the film, so there's no telling when it will be made. However, an announcement of production kicking off seems like the logical next step, however far-off it may be.

Source: The Verge

Top Gun 2?!? This better be a bad April Fool's joke.

I thought Tom was going to make Top Gun 2 or was thinking about it last I heard.

If this is an April Fools = :rofl:
If this is real = :angry:

Usually this would be a clear April Fools. But the name Jerry Bruckheimer makes me doubt it is. He is definately capable of such crap.

BTW as far as i know Top Gun 2 is real (anyway i remember reading about it). But i doubt Tom Cruise will fight drones in it. BUt hey it's Jerry *(&$*#&*$(** Bruckheimer ...

So... it's Stealth 2? :huh:

This has got to be fake.

I thoughts this exactly, definitely sounds like Stealth. :P  But it depends if it's manned or unmanned.

Realistically how far away is this movie?  Who knows what "fighting" drones will be.  Stealth was just bad, top gun should at least be realistic about it, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Realistically how far away is this movie?  Who knows what "fighting" drones will be.  Stealth was just bad, top gun should at least be realistic about it, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Have you watched Top Gun? The planes never matter at all, it's all about the volleyball and the shower scenes.

So, it's a movie about a flying robot vs. some drones?

hahahahaha, this is gold

• 4 years later...

Production has started on Top Gun Maverick.

I've also renamed the title of this thread to better match the movie.

21 hours ago, McCordRm said:

I'm looking forward to it. I expect this to do well with Cruise behind it.

P.S. 

Reveal hidden contents

R.I.P. Goose. 

:( 

Yeah, people were ripping into it early on with the whole drone angle, but I think they've misunderstood it.    I believe the whole drone bit of the story will be how actual pilots flying fighters are starting to be replaced and how that will effect the characters moods and state of mind.  The rest of the story/plot will probably show how such people are still needed and that drones are overrated and so on.    We'll see though.

I'm looking forward to this one,  Don't get to see many "fighter jet" films now.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

I'm looking forward to this one,  Don't get to see many "fighter jet" films now.

A bit off topic, but what a small world. Also from Farnborough :P 

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

A bit off topic, but what a small world. Also from Farnborough ?

HAHA! Yes small world, where abouts in Farnborough? (or PM me that)