Top Gun Maverick (May 25, 2022)

4 hours ago, trag3dy said:

So have they said what year this movie takes place in? It looks like they are flying F-14's still and those were retired from service in 2006 but the plot says they're fighting drones, so it would definitely be set in modern day..?

Either way it looks good.

Those are F-/A-18 but the last plane was a Tomcat. I believe the Super Hornet is still in service but expect it to be replaced by the F-35.

11 minutes ago, StrikedOut said:

Those are F-/A-18 but the last plane was a Tomcat. I believe the Super Hornet is still in service but expect it to be replaced by the F-35.

I was certain the first scene where he is flying across the desert was a F-14 too but looking at it again it looks like the F-18.

10 hours ago, Zathras5 said:

Does anybody else remember the Top Gun game on the NES? I was terrible at that game lol.

I remember it and the sequel, there were 2 games.  And yes, the landing sequence after the first mission was a PITA.  I believe after the 2nd mission there's a damn mid-air refueling bit that's also a chore.

4 hours ago, trag3dy said:

So have they said what year this movie takes place in? It looks like they are flying F-14's still and those were retired from service in 2006 but the plot says they're fighting drones, so it would definitely be set in modern day..?

Either way it looks good.

I'll have to watch it again but I believe those were F/A- 18Es.   At the very end there's a shot of a F-14 Tomcat but that could just be for nostalgia or just for training since I think they're still flown but just not for combat.

14 minutes ago, George P said:

I remember it and the sequel, there were 2 games.  And yes, the landing sequence after the first mission was a PITA.  I believe after the 2nd mission there's a damn mid-air refueling bit that's also a chore.

I'll have to watch it again but I believe those were F/A- 18Es.   At the very end there's a shot of a F-14 Tomcat but that could just be for nostalgia or just for training since I think they're still flown but just not for combat.

According to Wikipedia all (american) F-14's are decommissioned and have been shredded. I think Iran still uses them though. Weirdly enough.

44 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

According to Wikipedia all (american) F-14's are decommissioned and have been shredded. I think Iran still uses them though. Weirdly enough.

Now that you said that, you're right, I saw a post about Iran having them around the time talk of Top Gun 2 started officially.    That might be one of the few CGI shots in the movie or they found a working one from some collection etc.

Either way, this is one movie i'm going to see for sure, as quick as I can.

For those wondering about the plot, since we don't have many details (which I think is good), I believe it'll be a more character driven/personal story about pilots in a growing push for UAVs etc and them losing their place/questioning their future etc.    Which is a pretty real world discussion going on right now.

The shots in the preview all look like 18's. Their's a shot of Tom Cruise at 1:32 wearing a full face helmet that might indicate an experimental fighter and possibly connected with the collared suit he's wearing in the closing "but not today" shot

Those in the know who've seen it state that they're all pretty much F/A-18Fs, which are the two seat version.  As much as Tom does on his own in these movies the DoD isn't going to let him actually fly a fighter jet, it's not legal anyways.  He's probably sitting in the back seat for many of the shots we've seen.

13 hours ago, vf- said:

Why is it when I see Tom Cruise now, I no longer think of Maverick and think of Ethan Hunt in a jet fighter.

Because we've had 6 mission impossible movies and only, for now, 1 top gun?

On 4/1/2014 at 5:51 PM, 123456789A said:

I hope it features motorized scooters in the sky.

Seeing how Tom is 57 years old and trying to play the role of a 25-35 year old it should.

3 hours ago, Rohdekill said:

Seeing how Tom is 57 years old and trying to play the role of a 25-35 year old it should.

Except that he isn't?  The trailer is pretty clear on the fact that he's been in service for over 30 years. While you may not find many pilots up in age flying combat missions, you will find them in places like top gun where they're instructors. 

5 hours ago, George P said:

Because we've had 6 mission impossible movies and only, for now, 1 top gun?

He's also changed. He acts the same way like Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow and Jack Reacher. Too serious.

• 4 months later...

Some notes, this second trailer gives us a bit more of the story.  It looks like Maverick is a test pilot at the start of this, then gets ordered back to top gun to be a instructor.  Then it probably follows along the same lines the original did, with the character interactions and growth being the point of it all, not so much some big deep plot.  We'll see though, I'm going to see this for sure. 

• 7 months later...

After the delay with Tenet, looks like another film has been delayed. 

Top Gun is now coming out 2nd July 2021

Source

38 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

After the delay with Tenet, looks like another film has been delayed. 

Top Gun is now coming out 2nd July 2021

Source

Good time for it actual. 4th of July weekend.

I still wonder how many theaters are going to manage to stay open till then without something new to show and draw people in?

5 minutes ago, George P said:

I still wonder how many theaters are going to manage to stay open till then without something new to show and draw people in?

People still go to movie theaters? I fail to see the attraction 

Expensive popcorn and having other anonymous strangers next to you?

I will pass

This is an interesting video from a former pilot who discusses the ins and outs of jet fighter films. the first video is the original reaction to the trailer and the second is the follow up due to the comments on the first video.

5 hours ago, McCordRm said:

Yea, these delays are pissing me off. I'm like... I want my excitement today. lol

It is frustrating. It seems that studios are happy to push launches back to next year so I don't think we'll see a digital release anytime soon. 

As much as I love going to the cinema, I'm still not sure how I'd feel about going to one given the current situation. 

17 hours ago, RNDM_STRNGR said:

People still go to movie theaters? I fail to see the attraction 

Expensive popcorn and having other anonymous strangers next to you?

I will pass

You're going to the wrong cinema 😛

I get that there are downsides, but seeing a film on that huge screen with that sound. Just perfect. 

I tend to go at the end of a film cycle, when it's usually quieter and you don't have to put up with other people. Bring my own snacks, sit back and lose myself for a few hours. Bliss!