Pot cookies blamed for teen's death

An African student's death in a fall from a Denver hotel balcony is the first death in Colorado to be blamed on marijuana since the state legalized recreational use.

Levy Thamba, 19, died March 11 at a Holiday Inn. Friends said he jumped from the fourth-floor balcony after eating several marijuana cookies, a coroner's report released Wednesday said.

Thamba and his friends traveled to Denver from Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., to take advantage of Colorado's new marijuana law, Michelle Weiss-Samaras said. At least one person in the group appears to have been over 21, old enough to buy the marijuana cookies legally.

The report blamed the death on "multiple injuries due to a fall from height" with "marijuana intoxication" as a contributing factor. The coroner said Thamba died accidentally.

The coroner's report said Thamba's friends described him as becoming erratic and hostile after eating the cookies. They got him into bed, but some time later he got up and went to the balcony.

The level of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, was above that considered proof of impaired driving in Colorado.

more

Headline should read 'Intoxicated teen falls off balcony'

But that's not clickbaity enough.

• Like 2

While I am not an advocate of "Marijuana has absolutely no negatives", a preach that stoners throw about with careless delusion - "erratic and hostile" are not traits I would associate with it.

• Like 3

While I am not an advocate of "Marijuana has absolutely no negatives", a preach that stoners throw about with careless delusion - "erratic and hostile" are not traits I would associate with it.

Most of the time it's ignorant teenage smokers who tend to make such statements. With any drug, the effects will very among everyone differently. 

Most of the time it's ignorant teenage smokers who tend to make such statements. With any drug, the effects will very among everyone differently. 

Another problem is that for years people have been told how awful the drug is and how badly it will mess you up. When trying it for the first time or even using at a young age there's a certain expectation that you're going to get really messed up. When in all reality you're not going to experience the evilness that has been pushed onto marijuana through anti-drug scare tactics. 

This kid probably wasn't even that high. They were just playing out the expectation of what it is to be high from what they had heard, been told, or read. I've seen people "OD" on weed cookies before, They fall asleep. They don't jump off balconies. These people didn't have the false expectations that younger, uneducated people do. They knew what to expect and enjoyed what they got out of it. Even a good rest can be a positive outcome. 

You can die from drinking too much water too fast too. What difference should it matter what the intoxication was? He died from physics not from pot cookies. Too much of anything isn't good for you...even too many women can be bad for your health if they find out about the others. lol.

Sounds like he didn't have enough marijuana in his system actually...

maybe the cookies were laced with crack

Or something else.  And I wouldnt doubt it.  Heard stories about people buying marijuana and it had been dusted with something else. 

Legal or not, only a dope uses dope.  Good riddance to him!

Seems like a little bit of a harsh statement. Have you ever enjoyed a drink before? Then again maybe you're not old enough to enjoy such intoxicants. Shockingly both man and animals have been enjoying mind altering intoxicants for much of our time on this planet. 

pssht....yeah, and the reason I went bald was because of brownies. (LMAO@entire thread/article) Stupid is as stupid does. (For the record, I am totally opposite of bald, never will be either) If you throw yourself off of a balcony because of pot, you have deeper issues, my friend, WAY deeper issues. My whole (almost whole) family is a bunch of pot heads, and they've never done anything like this! (I've tried it a few times, the only thing I wanted to jump into was the fridge, lol!)