Phil hints at freeing apps from Pay Wall.

So I guess the next question is, how many here will not be buying an X1 and how many that own one will be getting rid of it if they don't change their app policy soon?

So I guess the next question is, how many here will not be buying an X1 and how many that own one will be getting rid of it if they don't change their app policy soon?

Can't speak for the awful Xbox One, but I will definitely dig my 360 out of storage and hook it up again if they remove the paywall for apps. Otherwise it will just continue to rot in a box in the basement.

Can't speak for the awful Xbox One, but I will definitely dig my 360 out of storage and hook it up again if they remove the paywall for apps. Otherwise it will just continue to rot in a box in the basement.

Obviously the decision has no barring on the X1 for you, you had no interest in it regardless.

I was more wondering about those that either own an X1 or have a passing interest in it. Trying to gauge how valuable it is.

Obviously the decision has no barring on the X1 for you, you had no interest in it regardless.

I was more wondering about those that either own an X1 or have a passing interest in it. Trying to gauge how valuable it is.

The answer is already out there. If it was a worthwhile endeavor, they'd have done it already.  Maybe it's becoming worthwhile for them, but it's not like people aren't buying their console or not subscribing to XBL. That much is pretty clear. And honestly I think they made gold more enticing with Xbox One by making it apply to the entire console for anyone signed in.  It's nice that my fianc?e can be signed in as herself and still use everything that my gold account gets access to.

I will be eventually buying it when Halo 5 shows up provided they have upped the built in HDD capacity by then. I find the pay wall a stupid restriction but it's not deal breaker for me. I kind of understand their viewpoint that it pays for ongoing improvements to the console and apps, which they do a lot compared to Sony or Nintendo.

I will be eventually buying it when Halo 5 shows up provided they have upped the built in HDD capacity by then. I find the pay wall a stupid restriction but it's not deal breaker for me. I kind of understand their viewpoint that it pays for ongoing improvements to the console and apps, which they do a lot compared to Sony or Nintendo.

MS would have a hard time convincing people around here that there is value in the work they do behind the scenes for apps or the OS. Its hard enough just saying that MS actually works on some of the apps that are being offered.

On the one hand, I have seen enough hints about people from MS working on some apps that MS is indeed investing in apps for the X1 not just by securing apps, but building them or working with others to build them. I can certainly see value there, but that value is not nearly visible enough, so it can't serve as a point for or against the topic of a paywall for apps. So basically its nice to know they are working on it, but they still must push apps to a general app store, whether they are working on them or not.

MS would have a hard time convincing people around here that there is value in the work they do behind the scenes for apps or the OS. Its hard enough just saying that MS actually works on some of the apps that are being offered.

On the one hand, I have seen enough hints about people from MS working on some apps that MS is indeed investing in apps for the X1 not just by securing apps, but building them or working with others to build them. I can certainly see value there, but that value is not nearly visible enough, so it can't serve as a point for or against the topic of a paywall for apps. So basically its nice to know they are working on it, but they still must push apps to a general app store, whether they are working on them or not.

It is just my own impression of them, not saying others will agree with it.