Redoing my network... (Part 2)

Add these options to the VM - it has to be off to edit the settings.

post-14624-0-48252900-1398076099.png

isolation.tools.copy.disable false
isolation.tools.paste.disable false

As to loosing data off a disk with power outage -- data is still, windows messed up the format if seeing raw, do a partition recovery using http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Didn't you buy a ups?  Why would you have had a uncontrolled power outage?  But before mine I had a few, never happened to me - where you in the middle of write or something when the power went down?

As ti auth from your TV -- why not just fix that? ;)  You saying that the TV while it says it can auth - is really broke for the millions of TVs they sold?  Or is it more likely you didn't set it up correctly ;)

Add these options to the VM - it has to be off to edit the settings.

attachicon.gifcopypaste.png

isolation.tools.copy.disable false

isolation.tools.paste.disable false

Ill look it up now

Didn't you buy a ups?  Why would you have had a uncontrolled power outage?  But before mine I had a few, never happened to me - where you in the middle of write or something when the power went down?

Nope, we had a long talk about that :laugh: and I didnt get one. After I got the N54L, I did get a small old simple UPS from my company which they were gonna throw away but I think the battery is very low/dead so it holds a small charge. It started beeping last night and the N54L didnt go off (well, nothing went off) so I supposed that the small charge it has still kept it together.

I brought it home because replacing the battery was problably the online issue; Im buying a third party battery for it next month (not this Thursday but the next Thursday)

And nope, it was idle. No writes.

As ti auth from your TV -- why not just fix that? ;)  You saying that the TV while it says it can auth - is really broke for the millions of TVs they sold?  Or is it more likely you didn't set it up correctly ;)

Tried several times. Should be my Windows user name/pass. Tried:

User

Pass

NameofPC\User

Pass

I even made a user with no pass for it and it still didnt work. Plus, if I would have to type that on my remote each time I would want to see a film, I would kill myself.

Only log entry I semifound related. Gonna search for that error online:

Event Details:

Type: error

Description: Cannot reboot the guest OS for WS2012R2 on N54LESXi in ha-datacenter. vix error code = 3009

Time: 4/21/2014 12:28:47 PM

Error Stack:

vix error code = 3009

Additional Event Details:

Type ID: Error

Host Build: 1623387

Target Object Type: ComputeResource

DataCenter Object Type: Datacenter

Host Object Type: HostSystem

VirtualMachine Object Type: VirtualMachine

ChainId: 95

3009 ? VIX_E_POWEROP_SCRIPTS_NOT_AVAILABLE

Cannot execute scripts.

Scripts....scripts.....what scripts? :laugh: AFAIK, I havent done any scripts in this thread...

"N54LESXi in ha-datacenter"

Are you running vcenter - why does it say you setup a datacenter?

Why did you not just setup anonymous auth?  Your auth is most likely around smb1 vs 2, or etc.  Some devices using samba have really old versions that do not support the newer stuff.  Could be something to do with 128bit encryption vs older 40-56bit.

Could be ntlmv2 vs 1, etc..  Lots of things it could be - did you ever take a sniff and see what was going on?

So your tv apps has no way to save the mappings?  Well yeah that would suck! ;)  2k12 I think uses this

http://www.iis.net/media

Did they pull it out of desktop exp feature? Yes they did  - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/randomnumber/archive/2012/11/14/windows-media-services-not-supported-on-windows-server-2012.aspx

Or as suggested install any dlna server, etc.

"N54LESXi in ha-datacenter"

Are you running vcenter - why does it say you setup a datacenter?

I set all the VMs up with VMware vSphere Client.

Why did you not just setup anonymous auth?  Your auth is most likely around smb1 vs 2, or etc.  Some devices using samba have really old versions that do not support the newer stuff.  Could be something to do with 128bit encryption vs older 40-56bit.

Could be ntlmv2 vs 1, etc..  Lots of things it could be - did you ever take a sniff and see what was going on?

Nope. Never looked into what it could be with Wireshark.

So your tv apps has no way to save the mappings?

No. I have to manually hit the WMP share (not sure what its called, sorry) and there I can see WMP's library....

Well yeah that would suck! ;)  2k12 I think uses this

http://www.iis.net/media

Did they pull it out of desktop exp feature? Yes they did  - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/randomnumber/archive/2012/11/14/windows-media-services-not-supported-on-windows-server-2012.aspx

Or as suggested install any dlna server, etc.

Well, it says that no more updates with be provided but it still works even though not supported....

But beyond that, I cant boot the WS2012R2 VM anymore so....what happened??? I restarted because of some updates and....now I cant boot

Instead of using WMP? Yup, thats a solution Fahim S.

XBMC and Plex come to mind. Any other recommendations?

BTW, is there a way to copy and paste between my PC and a VM on ESXi? I know its doable when its my PC and a VM on my local machine using Workstation but ESXi?

Yes, instead of using WMP.

Both XBMC and Plex are suitable as would Serviio or PS3 Media Server.

Well, I still cant find a way to boot the WS2012R2.

What bothers me isnt that (it had nothing). What bothers me that if I move all my HDDs and suddenly because of this (with no error because Ive rebooted it several times) I cant access my data....then what?

Yeah, I can always unplug it and put it on a external if its important but....

The 3009 popped up once but....not again.

Would rebooting the entire server do anything?

What if a meteor comes through your roof and crashes into your computer, then what? ;)

As to why it wont boot, your going to have to troubleshoot. What error does it get when you try and boot? Are other VMs running? Do new ones work? But the VM via your install media ISO, do a repair does that work? etc. etc. etc..

Turn on debugging for this vm, etc.

Are you telling me you have never seen a machine crash and burn on windows update? Really are you new to windows? ;) I think anyone that has played with windows for long enough has seen this at least once in their lives. Didn't a MSE dat just take out a bunch of XP machines?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-corrects-windows-xpsecurity-essentials-bug-7000028585/

Microsoft corrects Windows XP/Security Essentials bug

I recall a huge snafu years back when bad mcafee dat was marking a windows system file as a virus and crashed a bunch of boxes. This is why you have pilot machines that get updates first before rolling out to all your production machines, etc. But have a lab/home setup, with 1 machine what you going to do?

Did you take a snapshot of the machine before doing the update(s).. This is great thing about VM, just take a snapshot before playing with anything - if it crashes and burns you just boot your snapshot.

Yup, rebooting ESXi did it :) Shame pfSense had to go down.

What if a meteor comes through your roof and crashes into your computer, then what? ;)

As to why it wont boot, your going to have to troubleshoot. What error does it get when you try and boot? Are other VMs running? Do new ones work? But the VM via your install media ISO, do a repair does that work? etc. etc. etc..

Turn on debugging for this vm, etc.

Are you telling me you have never seen a machine crash and burn on windows update? Really are you new to windows? ;) I think anyone that has played with windows for long enough has seen this at least once in their lives. Didn't a MSE dat just take out a bunch of XP machines?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-corrects-windows-xpsecurity-essentials-bug-7000028585/
Microsoft corrects Windows XP/Security Essentials bug

I recall a huge snafu years back when bad mcafee dat was marking a windows system file as a virus and crashed a bunch of boxes. This is why you have pilot machines that get updates first before rolling out to all your production machines, etc. But have a lab/home setup, with 1 machine what you going to do?

Did you take a snapshot of the machine before doing the update(s).. This is great thing about VM, just take a snapshot before playing with anything - if it crashes and burns you just boot your snapshot.

The issue was that it didnt even get pass the VMWare logo! Never seen a Windows machine do that (get stuck at the AMI logo or similar)

Rebooted ESXi and worked.

Editing the configuration with that row to enable copy/pasting didnt do anything. Tools is installed in WS2012R2

Server tells me to initialize the disk (again; which Im not gonna do after about 7 hours copying the data over AGAIN)

I tried running TestDisk but it only finds a 512B disk and I try to recover partitions from it and nothing.

Went ahead and installed Teamviewer not only for myself but if someone else wants to take a look at it.

Restarted the VM

Remapped the drive

Added and removed it from the VM

Nothing....it says it has to initialize it.

No ideas on what else to do.

OK....Here we go:

post-25747-0-21313800-1398099607.png

As you can see, there are two disks. The system disk (I know its the system because it says 230) and another disk which just says 512 B. As its glitchy detecting sizes, I SUPPOSE that the 512 B is my 3TB. I select that one and hit Proceed

post-25747-0-00066400-1398099635.png

It says at the bottom "Hint: EFI GPT partition table type has been detected" which is correct because I did indeed select GPT. I hit enter select EFI GPT

post-25747-0-40032600-1398099638.png

I hit enter for the default Analyse

post-25747-0-66645600-1398099641.png

This window pops up which SEEMS to detect some partiion data. All seem to by Primary and not Deleted. I suppose that this is to detect and not to restore. I interpret the backup option as literally to backup the bytes (not the partitions) to another destination. Therfore I hit enter on Quick Search.

post-25747-0-77302900-1398099643.png

Not sure about this screen so I just continue.

post-25747-0-47087500-1398099645.png

Says nothing is found or selected for recovery. I try the Deeper Search.

post-25747-0-24888600-1398099647.png

Same as before.

post-25747-0-47777500-1398099649.png

And same as before.

So either

A: It doesnt find anything

B: Im misinterpreting a option on one of the screens.

On a more positive note (although, it really isnt positive if I cant see any files on the HDD), I see that by installing the Windows Server Essentials Media Pack, I can enable a media server just like in WMP/Windows 7.

The downside is (besides the files) is that it seems to force me to make/join a domain which, like BudMan said, only serves for testing things out in a home enviroment.

You most likely have an issue with your GPT.. I had some problems with my 3TB disk as well, but cleared it up before putting data on it. I used linux VM to check and clear the disk and setup the gpt, etc.

Is there data on this disk that you want to get back, or can you just wipe it? I would just connect it to a linux VM and check it out. Wipe it and make sure your protective mbr and gpt table are good. Then mount it in your windows vm and format the partition ntfs.

You most likely have an issue with your GPT.. I had some problems with my 3TB disk as well, but cleared it up before putting data on it. I used linux VM to check and clear the disk and setup the gpt, etc.

Is there data on this disk that you want to get back, or can you just wipe it? I would just connect it to a linux VM and check it out. Wipe it and make sure your protective mbr and gpt table are good. Then mount it in your windows vm and format the partition ntfs.

:| It took 7-8 hours to transfer the data from the RAID5 to this disk. I CAN wipe it but I have 0 desire to do it and AGAIN transfer the data.

The thing that I most have fear of is this happening AGAIN. Yeah, backups will be made, but it is time consuming to transfer it all back AGAIN....

*sigh*

Is it possible to boot off a Linux livecd onto this VM and solve these problems without wiping the disk again? Using any Ubuntu disk will work right?

BTW if this is a GPT issue, then next time im going with MBR.

You can not have more than 2TB with MBR..

You can try and fix it in linux sure, just mount it to any linux distro VM.

You clearly don't have access to the data now, so who cares if it took 24 hours to move the data back.. Just wipe it, and start your xfer before you go to bed.. Wake up and your data will be there. Or you could spend more time dicking with it and maybe fix it maybe not.

• Like 1

You can not have more than 2TB with MBR..

You can try and fix it in linux sure, just mount it to any linux distro VM.

You clearly don't have access to the data now, so who cares if it took 24 hours to move the data back.. Just wipe it, and start your xfer before you go to bed.. Wake up and your data will be there. Or you could spend more time dicking with it and maybe fix it maybe not.

I thought it was that after 2TB you couldnt boot off it.....

Im gonna try to boot that VM with a Linux LiveCD and see if I can get it up and running again.

Its just that all that wiping, transfering, wiping, transfering.....I actually got thur it taking a nap today so Im not sure if Ill get much sleep tonight.

MBR does not support partitions larger than 2TB.. Now I believer there are ways of using just MBR and having multiple partitions on the disk.

I don't have a lot of experience in this area, It's only been a few months back got my first 3TB disk.. And put it into use as soon as I had it showing good in linux, and worked through the problems with the stablebit scanner not seeing the full space. So not a lot of messing around with it. The 4k advanced sectors stuff changed stuff as well. Previous experience with storage above 2TB was all done via a SAN, and virtual disks were carved at smaller than 2TB chunks to present to the 2k8 servers anyway.

With the 6TB out already, your going to see larger and larger disks. So you better get used to GPT ;) As the prices keep dropping, I will prob pick up 3TB or 4TB to have just for playing with the formatting and such under different OSes.

attachicon.gifchk.png

Is it actually asking me to do a chkdsk?

Why is it a shock that it is asking you to run chkdsk? The NTFS filesystem support in Linux was reverse engineered. They don't want to try repairing a file system that isn't publicly documented. That is how you end up having very bad things happen...

Why is it a shock that it is asking you to run chkdsk? The NTFS filesystem support in Linux was reverse engineered. They don't want to try repairing a file system that isn't publicly documented. That is how you end up having very bad things happen...

I didnt mean the question in a literal sense; Just after wiping, transfering, wiping, transfering, etc. it gets old...