The Expanse

rxnwwu.png

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as ?Game of Thrones in space? ? not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that?s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: ?A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship?s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.?

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, ?The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy?s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.?

Source

Edited by Steven P.
updated tag

hrmm interesting, I guess if they get a good cast and don't skimp on the budget (as they sort of indicate they aren't going to) could be pretty good.

Unfortunately, when SyFy doesn't skimp on the budget, we're usually still left with b movie grade cgi and uniforms that would better fit a xena or Hercules TV shows...

But we'll see, maybe they'll actually make it look good. And yes while effects aren't everything, a tv show does need to look good or it's just a horrible experience to sit through it no matter how good the script, dialog, story and acting.

• 3 months later...

Thomas Jane scores the lead in Expanse

THR reports that Jane will lead The Expanse as Detective Miller, ?a world-weary, a native of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter [who works] for a corporate security force operating as the law in the Belt. Ragged, in search of something even he can?t identify, Miller remains a dedicated cop with great instincts who discovers a newfound sense of purpose when he?s put in charge of the investigation into a missing heiress.? The other lead in this series, as long as the show follows the books, is Jim Holden, an executive officer and rebel sympathizer aboard a mining ship that happens upon the derelict ship The Scopuli, which houses a secret that could affect the entire solar system. Syfy picked up the series with a 10-episode commitment in the hopes of restoring their Battlestar Galactica glory days.

• 3 months later...

?The Expanse? Gets New Cast Members

The show?s new members include Dominique Tipper, who will play Naomi Nagata, a native of the ?Belt? who prefers machines to people, and Wes Chatham, who will play Amos, a Martian born engineer. Cas Anvar will be playing Alex Kamal, who is a retired Martian Navy pilot. Paulo Costanzo plays Medical Technician Shed Garvy and Jay Hernandez plays Havelock, an Earth cop

Previously announced cast members include Thomas Jane, Florence Aghdashloo, and Steven Strait

The show will premiere sometime during the 2015 season on SyFy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting that they have ordered a season 2 when season 1 hasn't even aired yet.  They must really have high hopes for this one...let's hope it is as good as they think it is.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully they have a decent budget for effects, this show definitely requires some heavy CGI and it's been a long time since I have been impressed by any Syfy show on that front..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hmm I just realized this is the audio book I started listening to on audible while training and then somewhere in chapter 3 I started listening to something else because I was bored and it was going nowhere. Granted it had some big shoes to fills after I just finished the Old Man's War books before...

hmm I just realized this is the audio book I started listening to on audible while training and then somewhere in chapter 3 I started listening to something else because I was bored and it was going nowhere. Granted it had some big shoes to fills after I just finished the Old Man's War books before...

Yeah, the book is a bit slow but overall pretty cool story. Should make for a good show... if done right.

• 2 weeks later...

Good attention to details and special effects. Haven't made my mind up about the characters yet. Too many generic white males with dark hair makes my mind confused. Looking forward to the next episode.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm amazed how small this thread is, and how little has been posted :(

First 4 Episodes of The Expanse are now out for Streaming and On Demand.

Having seen the 4 Episodes sofar, I think it's amazing. I didn't go in with much expectations, as Syfy isn't exactly know for making stuff that is.. well.. Good. But from what I've seen, when they outbid HBO and Netflix for it, they invested into it. The first 4 epis have been stellar, if the rest of the season keeps on track then this will hopefully be as big or bigger than BSG. I've heard it has got low ratings sofar, so all I can do is cross my fingers it doesn't get cancelled, and the rest of the season keeps the quality they have shown.

Eh, I'm surprised Dark Matter got a second season. It was really slow and dull in the beginning. I felt like it was heading the same way Stargate Universe did, even though I loved that series. It just needs more action in it.

I'm looking forward to "The Magicians". That looks like a good twist between harry potter and Constantine.