Missouri will fire 'sound cannons' at drivers to deter work zone speeding

Wont this lead to said speeding driver in wrong lane having some kind of panic attack and potentially crashing further into things?

Seems a bit unsafe. Shame they can only fire sounds, would be better if it was an electric signal that somehow disrupted the car and caused it to roll to a stop, (obv driver can still brake).

Might be an idea if such a device exists to combine the two. That way on older models with electronic immobilisers you`d still at least get the sound.

What sort of car was it?  I work in the industry, and sorry, but that sounds like absolute crap.

Seems to be a good bit of literature on this once googled, but im a little less than convinced....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/85154/modern-cars-serious-risk-computer-hackers

this list`s a few of the hacks down the bottom..

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/can-your-car-be-hacked-feature

>

Seems a bit unsafe. Shame they can only fire sounds, would be better if it was an electric signal that somehow disrupted the car and caused it to roll to a stop, (obv driver can still brake).

>

A portable EMP gun for doing that is in development, though vehicles that have OnStar and similar services hardware can already be remotely shut down.

EMP

Bluetooth can be hacked, that's a fact.

Auto electronics outfits make bluetooth modules for dTPMS (direct tire pressure monitoring systems) and keyless entry.

http://www.epcos.com/epcos-en/542852/products/product-search/technical-parameter/product-catalog/rf-saw-components/mobile-communications/wireless-lan---bluetooth-modules?t=ps

And there are iPhone and Android apps that can access the sensors.

What's hard to believe?

That's great.  But they don't use BT to communicate with the major systems in the car.  TO suggest there is a link between tyre sensors and the CAN in the car is a little OTT.

I put it in quotes for those who probably have that mental image of LRAD.

That's great. But they don't use BT to communicate with the major systems in the car. TO suggest there is a link between tyre sensors and the CAN in the car is a little OTT.

Hacking cars was demonstrated at the 2013 DEFCON hackers conference, several times.

Attacks on a Prius included engaging the brakes, yanking the steering wheel or causing it to accelerate. On an Escape they disable the brakes. More was possible.

That would be great for trolling BMWs. I would build a transmitter to hack and cap them at school zone speeds.

Jealousy. It's such an ugly emotion, don't you think? :p

• Like 2

Surely this device is going to cause accidents more than save, due to driver error in the shock of hearing the thing.

Jealousy. It's such an ugly emotion, don't you think? :p

It's not that. I just find that an overwhelming majority of BMW drivers around here are jerks.

Had I said all luxury cars, then maybe you could say jealousy.

What sort of car was it? I work in the industry, and sorry, but that sounds like absolute crap.

It was some relatively new BMW and yes it's possible.

It's not that. I just find that an overwhelming majority of BMW drivers around here are jerks.

Had I said all luxury cars, then maybe you could say jealousy.

Over here BMW drivers are either drug dealers or old people. :D

this is a horrible and terribly unsafe idea. drivers are going to freak out, slam on their breaks and cause accidents. at the very least there's going to be huge traffic jams from people confused about wtf is happening.

It was some relatively new BMW and yes it's possible.

Over here BMW drivers are either drug dealers or old people. :D

Still don't believe it.  The bluetooth systems don't control the vehicle.

I never said the Bluetooth system controls the vehicle, It is however an unsecured connection to the cars computer which can control the vehicle. That was how access to the cars main computer was gained. Via its connection to the wheels.

I never said the Bluetooth system controls the vehicle, It is however an unsecured connection to the cars computer which can control the vehicle. That was how access to the cars main computer was gained. Via its connection to the wheels.

Still don't believe it but for arguments sake let's say it was completely true.

It's still bluetooth. So you'd have to be right next to the car in order to hack into it and start controlling things...making it, essentially, a non-issue. Now those remote control starts from your phone. Nope nope nope. Sorry if I lose my phone I don't want to have to worry about losing my car too.

Still don't believe it but for arguments sake let's say it was completely true.

It's still bluetooth. So you'd have to be right next to the car in order to hack into it and start controlling things...making it, essentially, a non-issue. Now those remote control starts from your phone. Nope nope nope. Sorry if I lose my phone I don't want to have to worry about losing my car too.

Using a Bluesniper it's possible to get access to Bluetooth devices from a mile away.

Using a Bluesniper it's possible to get access to Bluetooth devices from a mile away.

With nothing in between sure. But we don't live out in an open field, there are buildings, other cars, trees etc all of which would seriously reduce your range. So like I already said, you'd have to be pretty close to the person.

With nothing in between sure. But we don't live out in an open field, there are buildings, other cars, trees etc all of which would seriously reduce your range. So like I already said, you'd have to be pretty close to the person.

Still has the potential to be dangerous, locking the brakes out on a corner or in populated traffic, from a potential attacker following the target car.

I watched a video on this, it is entirely possible and I've seen it in action. It's quite scary tbh.

Regarding the topic, so Missouri is going to blast sound cannons into the jar, making them jump and potentially crash? Nice one government, hi5's all round.

The US is getting more and more aggressive in its law enforcement practices. This is an idea that is ludicrous at face value, so I have no idea how it could progress to actually being implemented. This sounds more like something that would be used by the military.

By aggressive tactics I guess you mean SWAT units, Special Weapons and Tactics.

The term SWAT originated in Philidelphia in 1964, but it took our "liberal" friends in Los Angeles to really start the ball rolling with a large scale use of such military like tactics. Spread wide after a TV show about LA's unit.