Install Windows 7 on a second SDD where Windows Vista is already installed on another HDD

Quick question:

I have a laptop that has a HDD which has Windows Vista installed on it. Im gonna put in a SSD and install Windows 7 on it.

Will dual boot automatically set itself up?

Why would you possibly want to do that??  For what reason could you have to need vista if you have 7??  its not like stuff that runs on vista wont run on 7 like you can run into if was say xp or something.

Where are you putting this ssd?  If the laptop already has a hdd?

I think there won't be any "dual boot" menu. You set in the bios the boot sequence, which device is booted first, i.e the ssd or the hard drive.

If you put the hdd first in the sequence, vista would load. If you put the ssd first, then win 7 would load.

Also it would be wiser to set in the bios the the ssd as the first device you boot, before installing win 7.

Why would you possibly want to do that??  For what reason could you have to need vista if you have 7??  its not like stuff that runs on vista wont run on 7 like you can run into if was say xp or something.

Where are you putting this ssd?  If the laptop already has a hdd?

Its for someone else's laptop. Someone just wants to do this. Can't tell them what to do with their laptop!

Its going to where there WAS a optical drive. They should be the same speeds but I have to also make sure of that.

My first suggestion was just that: Why keep the old OS installed? But, not my equipment so...

I asked because some time ago I had Windows 7 installed in a PC. Someone asked me to do a partition and install Windows 8.1 on that partition. To my surprise, Windows 8.1 detected Windows 7 and it automatically made its boot menu. Which reminds me that I was told that now I have to remove the Windows 8.1 partiion and leave only the Windows 7 one...Problem is that the bootloader is the Windows 8.1 one so....Ill get around to it some time.

"Can't tell them what to do with their laptop!"

Sure you can - Do you not have an opinion?  Who is this person, are they your boss - so?  Ask them why they want it?  Tell them it makes no sense to do such a thing, and if they want to do it will cost 3x your normal rate, etc.

Agreed it is their laptop - and they are free to do whatever they want with it.  Does not mean you need to waste any time doing nonsense on it ;)  If they are paying you - ok, stupid ###### is always 3x cost!

"Can't tell them what to do with their laptop!"

Sure you can - Do you not have an opinion?  Who is this person, are they your boss - so?  Ask them why they want it?  Tell them it makes no sense to do such a thing, and if they want to do it will cost 3x your normal rate, etc.

Agreed it is their laptop - and they are free to do whatever they want with it.  Does not mean you need to waste any time doing nonsense on it ;)  If they are paying you - ok, stupid #### is always 3x cost!

I already told him my opinion of if its compatible with Vista, its probably compatible with 7. He just prefers to have both installed. I said its a waste of free space but hey....its a free world :laugh:

Are you spending time on it for free? I would tell them if they want to do stupid ###### then they can do it on their own time. Or they can pay for your time!

Last time I did a dual boot was a few years back when friend got a new machine and it came with 7, but they said their work (they are remote worker) needed XP. So I tried to just setup a xp vm. But that was beyond their comprehension no matter how I tried to explain it, it was trying to explain quantum physics to a cave man So had to setup dual boot. Guess what they never once booted into windows 7, not freaking once! Freaking thing has 8GB of ram and they are running 32bit xp -- arrrghh ;)

Now that xp is no longer supported company says they need all their users to move to windows 7, not 8 since they do not support that ;) So they want me to remove xp, even though they can just boot 7 currently and have access to the same files.

The sad part of this story is their company is almost as clueless as they are, they use Office - what OS that runs on has nothing to do with anything. They create word documents for their customers. Does not matter if the word doc is created on xp, vista, w7, 8 or linux for that matter.

Dealing with stupid is waste of everyone's time - if your going to waste it that is on you. If you are getting paid that is another story ;) I'm stuck doing this sort of nonsense is she is friend of the wife, and not helping would cause me all kinds of martial grief ;)

So unless your significant other has say in the matter or your getting 3x the money - don't waste everyone's time ;)

Are you spending time on it for free? I would tell them if they want to do stupid #### then they can do it on their own time. Or they can pay for your time!

Last time I did a dual boot was a few years back when friend got a new machine and it came with 7, but they said their work (they are remote worker) needed XP. So I tried to just setup a xp vm. But that was beyond their comprehension no matter how I tried to explain it, it was trying to explain quantum physics to a cave man So had to setup dual boot. Guess what they never once booted into windows 7, not freaking once! Freaking thing has 8GB of ram and they are running 32bit xp -- arrrghh ;)

Now that xp is no longer supported company says they need all their users to move to windows 7, not 8 since they do not support that ;) So they want me to remove xp, even though they can just boot 7 currently and have access to the same files.

The sad part of this story is their company is almost as clueless as they are, they use Office - what OS that runs on has nothing to do with anything. They create word documents for their customers. Does not matter if the word doc is created on xp, vista, w7, 8 or linux for that matter.

Dealing with stupid is waste of everyone's time - if your going to waste it that is on you. If you are getting paid that is another story ;) I'm stuck doing this sort of nonsense is she is friend of the wife, and not helping would cause me all kinds of martial grief ;)

So unless your significant other has say in the matter or your getting 3x the money - don't waste everyone's time ;)

Love the post :laugh:

Well, I would have to say its for someone at my job who does pay me (literally) so it is of my best interest :laugh:

And yeah, I understand that sometimes explaining something simple, people don't seem to understand it but I've in a strange way gotten use to it.

Ill just install Windows 7 on that second SSD and be done with it.