Why US national flag can be so commonly used?

Burning the flag is not illegal, and any law that would make it so would clearly be in violation of the right to peacably assemble.

I wish I was a lawyer (did I actually say that) so I could quote something other then the first amendment on this.

As for suggesting people that burn the flag should leave, I think nothing could be more against american ideals then suggesting exile to people for voicing their opinions. Flag burning may not be the most articulate of expressions, but the first amendment doesn't end with "unless you're an idiot".

Ummm, I personally didn't read anyone supporting "exile" on basis of opinions, just suggesting that those who hate the U.S. *so* much and can't find any other way to handle their views might want to consider life elsewhere if they're so miserable with the U.S. while living within it.

I mean, hey, if you don't like an employer *so* much you'd go out and burn their logo in public or something, wouldn't it just make more sense to go work elsewhere?

U.S. doesn't stop people who disagree with it from leaving in the slightest, quite unlike some other countries. Also, the suggestion was just for "international travel". Those who'd hate the U.S. so much could probably actually learn a lot from traveling elsewhere. I sure the heck did earlier in my life, and started singing a *real* different tune about the U.S. as a result.

In closing, any time folk start burning things in public, *whatever* they are, especially without prior permit (like for a bonfire or something), it's generally not likely to be considered "peaceful assembly" and thus quite probably illegal in any number of ways regardless of what's being burned.

If anything, there can almost be an exception made for U.S. flags to be burned when so many other things wouldn't be allowed. Talk about laws that bend over backwards for "freedom of expression" despite risks of inciting violence, flames spreading, and so on....

You wanna burn the flag, be my guest, but I'd *also* say one should probably start looking into some "international travel" if one hates the U.S. so deeply. No one's being "exiled" at all, but hey, if that's the best that one can do with one's disgust or whatever, why still just hang around and gripe and destroy?

Go travel or find someplace better if the U.S. is so disliked. It's not shutting someone up for their opinions -- it's helping them find someplace where they might be "happier" -- and aren't there some pretty core American ideals of life, liberty, and "pursuit of happiness"? Flag-burners are free to leave the U.S. and pursue their happiness elsewhere if they're so unhappy. What a great thing. :)

It is not illegal to burn the flag, it is just offensive to some people. If a cop starts beating someone for burning a flag it is because it probably offended him, not because it is illegal. Or perhaps he beat the person for setting a fire that was endangering other people. I a pretty sure that I would get beat down if I lit a flag on fire and starting swinging it around in a public area where a lot of people are walking by. :blink:

I got yelled at by a few people and a cop at a fourth of july parade for "modding" thouse little flags they pass out, but there wasn't anything they really could do, but to respect there rights I removed the flags.

Also burning a flag isn't always bad. I remember learning in scouts that if a flag ever touch's the ground you are supposed ot burn it, or burry it.