Keep AMD phenom II 6-core or i7 upgrade

yeah i hope that AMD doens't quit the high end CPU lines... competition is good, even that in the last decade there isn't much competition from them :/

I hope AMD continues too. However, if I were the CEO I would call it quits and focus just on ATI graphics and console cpus. It has been a lose leader since the core2duo started kicking AthlonXP's butt. The Phenom II were mediocre to ok, but the latest ones just can't hold a candle to Intel.

It is not fair as Intel is winning due to having its own foundries that are 1 - 2 generations ahead of global foundries which AMD sold off. A stupid mistake made by the former CEO. Without a fabrication plant to its name they can't update anymore and will fall farther and farther behind to irrelevance.

I guess the CEO did that to get his bonus and raise the shareprice at the expense of the long term competitiveness of the company. Samsung will need to invest the resources now to help them. With Apple no longer using global foundries/Samsung all I can say is HA good luck waiting on them to help out. 

Huh... All the I series are hyper threaded. I know my i5 laptop has the stupid virtual cores. In the end though you get better total performance in most situations without HT.

In desktop processors, only the i7s have hyperthreading. Hyperthreading has no significant impact on lightly threaded workloads such as most games, but it's definitely a plus otherwise.

In desktop processors, only the i7s have hyperthreading. Hyperthreading has no significant impact on lightly threaded workloads such as most games, but it's definitely a plus otherwise.

Yeah, I'd say that whether it is a recommendation or not really depends on whether the OPs workloads are CPU intensive or not for his virtual servers.

That's not true. All desktop Core i3, Core i7, and dual-core Core i5 have hyperthreading.

That's not true. All desktop Core i3, Core i7, and dual-core Core i5 have hyperthreading.

Guys, before we continue with this silly argument, let's just check the processors: 

http://ark.intel.com/products/75036/Intel-Core-i5-4430-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz (Desktop; 4 core; no HT)

http://ark.intel.com/products/75030/Intel-Core-i5-4260U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz (Mobile; 2 core; with HT)

The lines and marketing aren't consistent. i5 usually denotes 2 core with HT or 4 core without HT. It could change in the future.

For completionist sake, here is an older desktop i5 that is 2 core w/ HT: 

http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/Intel-Core-i5-650-Processor-4M-Cache-3_20-GHz (Desktop; 2 core; with HT)

EDIT:

illegalOperation found this newer one:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz (Desktop; 2 core; with HT).

Next year is ALWAYS the right time to upgrade ;)

LOL that's why many people keep waiting for next year that never comes.  I mean next year comes you wait till next year and then again the next year come.... People been doing that... But as soon as they build a system it's already outdated... :p

I'd go with Intel.. .that would be my choice...

That 4260U is a mobile CPU isn't it?

Yeah, I updated the post to include an older i5 showing the inconsistency in the desktop processor lines. All of the new ones are 4 core without HT now.

EDIT: marked out incorrect information as pointed out by illegaloperation.

I am one of those addicted to newer and faster computer even though I don't do which is really much performance intensive. I think this is same as addiction to some drugs where people need to get their shot once ion a while. I had purchased i7 Gateway desktop in year 2012 with 8GB RAM and HD 5700 something graphics card. I can play Left4Dead2 at max setting on 30 inch 2560x1600 resolution without any lag or slow down in performance. I admit, I don't do much heavy PC gaming as I also have Sony PS3 and most of the games which I like such as Uncharted, GOW are PS3 exclusive. During these course of time,I had upgraded by PSU with corsair 700W and put Samsung pro 128 GB along with around 5TB of hard disk space. 

I also had 2006 HP m8120n desktop with quad core processor and I installed Maverick on it. This computer runs absolutely fine as a Mac. I had purchased $20 TPlink wireless card though for wireless connection to work. But still I feel like getting another computer hardware. I recently purchased another Asus laptop for $400 which I use it at work. 

Yeah, I updated the post to include an older i5 showing the inconsistency in the desktop processor lines. All of the new ones are 4 core without HT now.

Wrong! The Intel Core i5 4570T is 2 cores with HT.

Wrong! The Intel Core i5 4570T is 2 cores with HT.

Ah, yes, you are right. Missed that one when perusing through the listings. I listed the older generation desktop 2 core HT because I didn't see any newer 2 core HTs.

EDIT: after checking again, I think this -T processor is the only one in the new generation?

Hello,

Please read my post; some desktops had BIOS severed so some of the technologies prevalent in those CPUs couldn't be used (VT-x and AMT for example).

Read what I said... BIOS is on the motherboard.  It has nothing to do with the CPU at all.  Every Intel i-series CPU supports visualization, and that's an absolute fact, which I provided proof for twice. There's nothing else that needs to be said about it.

Read what I said... BIOS is on the motherboard.  It has nothing to do with the CPU at all.  Every Intel i-series CPU supports visualization, and that's an absolute fact, which I provided proof for twice. There's nothing else that needs to be said about it.

I can make you a bet. I bought AMD because it was not enabled in the bios. These were 1st i chips though. Understandbly companies like HP want you play $$$$ for a $2,000 workstation and not a $599 i3 special so they make up that reason.

I can make you a bet. I bought AMD because it was not enabled in the bios. These were 1st i chips though. Understandbly companies like HP want you play $$$$ for a $2,000 workstation and not a $599 i3 special so they make up that reason.

Like I said, that's a motherboard problem.  I'll post this again:

http://ark.intel.com/products/virtualizationtechnology

This is proof straight from Intel.  Every single i3, i5, and i7 has it. They obviously aren't going to lie...

Go with the i7 upgrade. Hands down winner. (Y)

5 pages of this crap? Seriously this post wins. If  you're looking for a CPU from a performance standpoint, Intel wins hands down. Get the i7 and be done with it. 

I've read and again, the problem is not the CPU, but in some mainboards the BIOS is very limited and severed; doesn't matter if the CPU supports virtualization extensions when the mainboard limits them / cuts the access to them (in the cases i saw it wasn't possible to access them because of this).

5 pages of this crap? Seriously this post wins. If  you're looking for a CPU from a performance standpoint, Intel wins hands down. Get the i7 and be done with it. 

:rolleyes:

i can only guess you just read the title eh?