Titanfall tops chart, but PS4 leads hardware again in March - NPD

Don't know if it will be a mega-seller like the CODs and Halos of the world, but it will turn a profit and to me is an excellent experience - simple, elegant, and works more smoothly than most online shooters in terms of connectivity. Balancing remains an issue.

I would say they definitely achieved their goal of being emulating the success Cod2 enjoyed being an early 360 launch. Which the article claimed was their reason for putting the X1 ahead of the 360 as lead console.

I would say they definitely achieved their goal of being emulating the success Cod2 enjoyed being an early 360 launch. Which the article claimed was their reason for putting the X1 ahead of the 360 as lead console.

That makes sense, sales of Titanfall will at least equall the business COD2 did on 360 back in 2005-2006, and Respawn are mostly the people that made COD2 after all, so you're right, the memory is likely very clear still for them. And then just look at the difference between COD2 360 and COD4 360...ergo my conclusion that the doom and gloom we are hearing right now are not warranted and people need to be more concordantly patient. End Architect voice.

And also, you talk as if we don't know what 'fps' means. And I get the feeling you don't understand what a "basic" engine is from a "new engine". They aren't that much different. A few refactors here or there to help optimize and include new tech, along with some bumped up numbers as a result of the optimizations with maybe a few new features. It's not like new games have reinvented the engine. Let alone you're making judgements about optimization before the devs have even had a chance to optimize anything.

PS: A team ported the Unreal Engine 4 to Javascript and ran it in Firefox (and browsers don't have low level access to manage memory, etc) yet it still ran fairly smooth. I think you overestimate the "weight" of new engines.

I don't think you understood, new engines can also be basic engines I'm not specifically referring to the engine itself as you can use Unreal Engine 4 to make a basic game like Epic Swing Ninja which is a 2D browser game running in JavaScript.

Better looking games are more resource heavy because they have more visual effects and are more detailed this is what i mean by new engine even if the terminology is incorrect; when someone writes 'new engine' people associate better looking games with it.. I'm aware you can use new game engines to make a retro style pac-man if you wanted to but your not using it to its full potential if you do so.

My point in the post you quoted was that after developers have built a game in a game engine and decided how much effects and detail is in the visuals (polygon count per frame, reflections, lighting, day/night transitions, map sizes, game physics like the movement of water, clouds, smoke, destruction of buildings or other items, etc) in all cases so far after this is decided the PS4 is still able to output that at 1080p a lot more times than the Xbox One. Looking at screenshots of the multiplatform games it looks like the Xbox One also loses some of these visual effects/details before being outputted to a lower resolution in a lot of cases also.

The other part of this is sometimes people feel like a poster is trying to rub it in when something goes their way or they turn out to be right about something. Whether someone means to do it or not, it happens.

Finally, I don't think its fair to jump on an idea and just dismiss it as silly. The DX12 stuff for instance. You find zero merit to it? You don't think it will be a good thing for developers. We need to separate the exaggeration from the realistic possibilities. Its fine to call out exaggerations, but don't throw out the entire concept in the process. It happened with the cloud stuff too. Instead of focusing on what can really be done, the focus is instead on reacting to exaggerations. Surely, you would like to know what real advantages will come from various features, no matter how big or small they are.

Honestly, if you cut it all away, the only mistake MS made was the gpu choice. Because it is weaker on its own, that requires so much extra work on the part of MS to optimize or do something like get DX12 on it quick and for developers to squeeze out performance. A stronger gpu means you can brute force things and just develop quicker.

I'm not trying to rub it in cause I was right, I am merely clarifying the facts because a lot of people didn't believe it when it was just stats on paper but now it has real world results.

I don't think DX12 has zero merit to it, I think it will give systems using DX12 a boost over previous versions of DirectX. Buts its just software optimization. I work in the engineering field so I know that software is limited by its hardware (But it doesn't take an engineer to figure that out regardless). I also know that good software can make things work on low-end hardware as well as bad software on high-end hardware but in Sony's case they use OpenGL and Microsoft use DirectX its not like comparing a Ferrari 599 to a Toyota Yaris both of these API's are at the top of the ladder for  rendering 2D and 3D vector graphics.

The GPU choice wasn't the only mistake; esram was a mistake in my opinion not because the esram isn't great or anything but because its not enough memory to be useful, its more of a hindrance than a benefit because of its 32MB memory. eSRAM is also just RAM and the PS4 has the better RAM GDDR3 over DDR3. (Sony did take a gamble with this and if GDDR5 ram manufacturing costs didn't drop before PS4 release we likely would've had a more expensive PS4 or maybe even only half of the ram storage (4GB) but I can't fault Microsoft on a gamble that Sony took that paid off in the end). Kinect using 10% of the consoles resources (GPU/CPU) - The kinect drains resources from an already weaker system and I am aware that this reserve percentage could lower over time it doesn't change the fact that it will still be taking performance away from the console even if that happens. (Why didn't they make a separate sub-system which did this or at the very least made the system specs exceed that of the competitor so that even after the 10% resource drain from the kinect it was still on pair or exceeded the competitors specs?). The HDMI input and Kinect are also brought up for the mere fact that they cost money and its money that could have been spent to improve the systems specs which would have resulted in better graphics performance.

- Media aspects of the console I have no issue with, I think its good Microsoft have made the console more media orientated it doesn't really effect the games unless they need to bloat the OS but I think they freeze the OS which runs the apps/media unless you snap while gaming.

EDIT: it is very likely at least some Titanfall PS3 work was done initially, and i still believe the game is like Mass Effect - a timed exclusive that will make it to PS4, and i don't mean Titanfall 2. I also don't know what Respawn mean when they say the life of the product - that could be many things.

I think life of console basically means until Microsoft (Company they signed an exclusivity contract with) gives them permission to release the game for other systems. With that being said I don't think they will make titanfall 1 for the PS4 maybe a mobile game like they did with COD, Titanfall 2 will be the first titanfall for Sony I think.

It always amazes me how everyone seems to "KNOW" more than the last person about something they neither designed or created.   They both are selling well and sony seems to be doing a little better right now . Yay *claps*.

Its real simple.  Sony has to keep announcing numbers because they NEED good news since the rest of the company is bleeding out to try and keep all the stockholders from abandoning ship.  MS is in all around great shape and has no need to post numbers all the time so they dont.  Everyone just stop freaking out its going to be ok.

• Like 1

It always amazes me how everyone seems to "KNOW" more than the last person about something they neither designed or created.   They both are selling well and sony seems to be doing a little better right now . Yay *claps*.

Its real simple.  Sony has to keep announcing numbers because they NEED good news since the rest of the company is bleeding out to try and keep all the stockholders from abandoning ship.  MS is in all around great shape and has no need to post numbers all the time so they dont.  Everyone just stop freaking out its going to be ok.

Blast people's arrogance at "knowing more", then condescendingly tell everyone "it's real simple"? lol