Texting Driver Who Slammed Cyclist: I, Like, 'Just Don't Care'

Your argument about road tax is invalid and only further highlights the mentality car users have against cyclists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Tho I do agree, on points 1 and 4.

Most serious cyclists with expensive bikes already have them insured under home contents.

But I know what you mean with regards to liability insurance. And yes, I agree there also.

You should at least be on a registrar to say your allowed and competant on a public road with a bike.

Bit stupid to teach bike safety to primary school kids, who wont even need or use it until there in there late teens.

By which point half of its forgotten. Mind you I often think they should do some kind of 5-10yr reminder course for cyclists and drivers alike.

I'm aware of the arguments about what "road tax" is. Fine, call it a tax on the vehicle itself if you like, but the point still stands. Just like every other road user, they should be required to pay a tax on their vehicle. Why should they get off scot free with others don't?

Re the insurance, I don't mean insurance just for damage to their bikes, I mean the same levels of insurance car, truck and motorcyclists have to carry to cover damage to OTHER road users.  I'm sure you've seen just as many idiot cyclists flouting traffic lights etc and causing accidents, or scraping cars and so on and just getting away with it and leaving the poor driver with the bill. Equal rights, please.

And thanks for mentioning the competency point, I'd forgotten that. They should be required to take a road test as well, yes.

I'm aware of the arguments about what "road tax" is. Fine, call it a tax on the vehicle itself if you like, but the point still stands. Just like every other road user, they should be required to pay a tax on their vehicle. Why should they get off scot free with others don't?

Re the insurance, I don't mean insurance just for damage to their bikes, I mean the same levels of insurance car, truck and motorcyclists have to carry to cover damage to OTHER road users.  I'm sure you've seen just as many idiot cyclists flouting traffic lights etc and causing accidents, or scraping cars and so on and just getting away with it and leaving the poor driver with the bill. Equal rights, please.

And thanks for mentioning the competency point, I'd forgotten that. They should be required to take a road test as well, yes.

Yip. Agree also that you should pay a yearly sum and be on some type of registrar and pass competency tests every so often.

Tbh they need to make it a fairer ground for all road users and maybe then we won`t have these biases and much less accidents.

Tho thank whomever, but the UK is very safe already compared with some parts of the world.

And btw until my bike was stolen last week (true story, straight out the secure entranced main door and padlocked internal shed) I was and am a cyclist.

It`s also amazing how stupid and ill informed everyone seem`s to be regarding each others use of the road. Thus why im in favor of a level playing ground.

Maybe then the respect will actually be mutual instead of wishy washy add campaigns by safety groups and cycle paths that aren`t fit for purpose.

I think that that would be targeting an irrelevant part of the offence.

It would be like banning somebody who assaults someone with a pool cue from playing pool. The problem is the assault - not the specific implement used. 

IF a pattern emerges and the person continues to carry out assaults using pool cues, or, in this case, continues to use her phone whilst driving, then I can see the logic in your proposition. 

But your ruining my fun as a vicarious judge!!

She needs to suffer a little also :p

why does she need to care about the other person? her fault or not she can give a #### about who ever the #### she pleases

Not sure if trolling, but I'll answer anyway.

It speaks to her complete lack of empathy or remorse for her wrong doing. That is the sign on a psychopath.

And considering we factor in remorse and empathy for wrongdoing during sentencing, the perpetrator's attitude is relevant. 

I've always thought the following of cyclists and always will:

They should NOT be allowed to use the public highways with cars etc UNLESS they:

1.  Wear a helmet and other protective gear at all times.

2.  Carry insurance against accidents, just like all other users have to.

3.  Contribute towards the road taxes, just like all other users have to.

4.  Obey the laws of the road, just like all other users have to, and face THE SAME PUNISHMENTS.

If they don't want to do any of the above, then they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a road.

1: This should be 100% required. I mean, I have to wear my seatbelt always and motorcycles have to wear a helmet. Why cant cyclists wear a helmet?

2: This is a mixed situation. A lot of kids (less than 18) in the city ride on bikes (usually not on the roads) so you cant make them pay for insurance. And a bike cycle is technically not a vehicle registered.

3: Same as 2

4: Yes. Not only this but I would make ANYONE would wants to use their bike on a public road pass a minimal exam of BASIC road rules. I mean basic, such as 2 stupid questions like what is a STOP and what does the red light on a traffic light mean? So at least they know something. And this license would be also like the helmet: Must be with you at ALL times.

why does she need to care about the other person? her fault or not she can give a #### about who ever the #### she pleases

OK so then a family member of you gets shot, dies, and the police can give a #### about who ever the #### they please?

Your argument about road tax is invalid and only further highlights the mentality car users have against cyclists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-23694438

The article does not apply worldwide. There are counties that pay a "car tax", a "road tax" and both.

Why is this woman not in prison for attempted murder?

If she is it better be a minimum of severable 20 years.

If she still has a driving licence! Why?

She has lost it good.

Why is this woman not in prison for attempted murder?

If she is it better be a minimum of severable 20 years.

If she still has a driving licence! Why?

There is no evidence that she tried to kill the cyclist.

At best: Attempted manslaughter (that doesn't even exist because it isn't even possible)

They should NOT be allowed to use the public highways with cars etc UNLESS they:

4.  Obey the laws of the road, just like all other users have to, and face THE SAME PUNISHMENTS.

If they don't want to do any of the above, then they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a road.

I agree with 1,2 and 4 completely but would point out that there is no such things as 'road tax' in the UK, its vehicle excise duty. Its an important distinction as Its a tax on the vehicle which is based on emissions in the UK. Many hybrid vehicles pay 0 road tax due to their low emissions and seeing as bikes are 0 emisions their tax would be 0. I am an infrequent cyclist but like many cyclists also drive a car. I pay ?200 a year in VED. It wouldn't work, at least in the UK. Elsewhere, maybe.

Your more lenient than me then, I think cyclist should not share the road with large, heavy metallic objects which could easily run over them and only feel a slight bump.

I was out cycling yesterday and someone very nearly hit me while doing something on their phone. I was certainly glad i caught up with him at the lights so i could tell him exactly what i thought of him :angry:

And no i wasn`t polite and used some foul language, this girl looks (and sounds) such an airhead it probably wouldn`t have made any difference, because she`s just got to send that message straight away.

Using your phone while driving is dangerous.....don`t do it!

There is no evidence that she tried to kill the cyclist.

At best: Attempted manslaughter (that doesn't even exist because it isn't even possible)

Why are you defending this person.

Law is, ''you must not be in charge of a motor vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol or not wearing a seat belt (unless a taxi driver in the U.K. might be same in Australia) or using a cell-phone''.

Once you stop abiding by these laws you put yourself in charge of a loaded gun with your finger on the trigger.

If you don't kill others/or yourself, you are in a position of mass murder.

Glad I live in a bike-friendly city :laugh:

Not that I don't understand the hate - especially in cities, a lot of cyclists are idiots, but some of us actually do obey traffic laws and wear helmets, and can respect the fact that we're riding next to things that could kill us and not miss a beat :P

Also, the girl in this story is an idiot.

Sounds like when a friend of mine was hit by a teen that was texting she said it was"very" important so it was worth the risk. Turns out she was talking about what color to buy a shirt.

Bitch needs a serious slapping and a permanent ban from the roads.

Sure, cyclists are damned annoying and quite often ARE the cause of many accidents that then gets blamed on the driver, but as she was texting, she WAS on the phone, clearly distracted, and therefore clearly to blame.

What the hell was the judge thinking, being so lenient, especially given her dreadful attitude?

While I 100% agree  with this statement. Perhaps she cleaned up her "act" in court and the Judge doesn't read Huffington Post? If the copper put the statement in his report though... sigh. :(

The police down under don't really seem to try hard to deter mobile use while in cars. Added to the general apathy of the younger australians these days, and it's a recipe for disaster

He isn't. He is saying she can't be charged with murder because murder has to be premeditated or intentional. The driver would have had to see the cyclist and decide to run her down for there to be a charge of attempted murder.

Not a law expert, but if the cyclist was killed, I think the driver would be charged with criminally negligent manslaughter.

• Like 1

Law is, ''you must not be in charge of a motor vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol or not wearing a seat belt (unless a taxi driver in the U.K. might be same in Australia) or using a cell-phone''.

Once you stop abiding by these laws you put yourself in charge of a loaded gun with your finger on the trigger.

If you don't kill others/or yourself, you are in a position of mass murder.

Im stating the facts: There is no evidence that this person tried to murder another person using her car.

You can spin it all you want but this is not murder. Just like a child playing with loaded gun, touches the trigger, and the bullet hits another random person with the child knowing or seeing that other person.

That is not murder. Its called manslaughter.

• Like 1

Nonsense. You don't have to pay tax to walk along the pavement and that's little different to cycling along the road. Cycling is environmentally friendly and produces negligible wear on the roads. It should be actively encouraged, not taxed. If a cyclist breaks the law they should face the consequences and police already have the power to do so but I fundamentally reject the idea of taxing cyclists.

What about pedestrians? When they cross the road they can cause an accident so should they all have to carry insurance too? Common sense, please.

Her car should of been destroyed and her phone destroyed along with it. 
Better yet, the car (if expensive, as she says) should of been forfeited by her and given to the guy on the bike so he can sell it for his legal expenses. 
Although something tells me it was just a crappy Holden Barina Spark or something lol.

I can understand people not realising how dangerous using a mobile phone is while driving, as most of the time they'll probably be able to get away with it, but to show no remorse is absolutely unacceptable. She needs a serious jail sentence, as she is clearly a menace to society.

Perfectly stated!

I can't believe she actually said that! Isn't texting and driving illegal there?

Perfectly stated!

I can't believe she actually said that! Isn't texting and driving illegal there?

Absolutely it is.

In QLD it is one of the more expensive fines and carries 3 demerit points (out of 12).

I understand Victoria, where this occurred, is even stricter in their road laws and fines.

I hope karma gets her back.

Maybe a truck will write-off her car, putting her in Hospital for 3 months with a fractured spine and she gets to watch the interview with the driver saying "I just done care, bitch dented my truck! Thats expensive, gotta pay for it now"

Really? gosh?!

Sounds like when a friend of mine was hit by a teen that was texting she said it was"very" important so it was worth the risk. Turns out she was talking about what color to buy a shirt.

He isn't. He is saying she can't be charged with murder because murder has to be premeditated or intentional. The driver would have had to see the cyclist and decide to run her down for there to be a charge of attempted murder.

Not a law expert, but if the cyclist was killed, I think the driver would be charged with criminally negligent manslaughter.

I wrote attempted murder.

Using your cell-phone whilst driving is premeditated, I.M.H.O.

The Police in my area also pay no attention to people not wearing seatbelts, using their cell phones and for example a woman with her elbows on steering whilst putting mascara on eye lashes in West Malling High Street.

The were in the other lane, looked at her and looked forward and did nothing.

I see everyday, out of approx 100 drivers 30 using their cell-phones and 12 or so without a seat belt.

I am sure some are drunk from the night before still as they don't indicate and don't seem to be in full control of their motor vehicle.