Create a directory on unc path via Login Script

Question

Morning Guys,

Not sure if I am creating this in the right place or not so apologies if needed.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to create a directory (2 in fact) using some form of command within the user's login script on a UNC Path

We are trying to create something along of the lines of the below

\\THEIRSERVERNAME\Staff\%USERNAME%\Desktop

\\THEIRSERVERNAME\Staff\%USERNAME%\Favourites

Basically I am trying to get something that can create those 2 directory's on the server for each user, we are about to migrate there systems and want them to copy their existing stuff from their Desktop and their Favourites into these directory's that would be created for them in their H Drive.

Reason being is having the folders already their for them to put the stuff in is gonna be a lot easier than trying to get them all to create the folder's as well. Dealing with staff at a place that have low level IT Skills.

I did wonder if I could simply bung it in the login script using something like MKDIR or somesuch but I see it does not really support UNC Path's which leaves me stuffed there.

Any idea's fellas?

2 answers to this question

I'd try creating the directories locally then using xcopy with the UNC path. Supposedly, it works with UNC paths (I haven't checked though)

I'd try creating the directories locally then using xcopy with the UNC path. Supposedly, it works with UNC paths (I haven't checked though)

If xcopy can't do unc paths, use robocopy ;)