David Moyes sacked as Manchester United manager (Louis van Gaal appointed)

Absolutely - because it takes time for a manager to develop a style in the team that they are joining, to get the right type of staff etc.etc.

Fergie was an exceptional manager, one of maybe 5 in the world (others would in my opinion be Mourinho, Wenger, Guardiola and Loew), but wasn't that when he joined United - he became that at United.   You aren't going to get an exceptional manager you have to create one - the same will be required at Arsenal and I for one hope that we have the patience for it.

Utd weren't necessarily playing pretty football in their last few seasons but were winning, had a never say die mentality and made nailbiting comebacks. 2 years ago they lost out on the title on goal difference and won it last year convincingly.

I don't think any major changes were needed when Moyes started his tenure, bar some reinforcements in midfield and understudies for some ageing players who are still quite capable at the top level. Moyes had other things on his mind making sweeping changes to rid or scare off the title winning backroom staff (Steele, Phelan, Meulensteen) who knew what made each of the X1 tick and prepared them prior to games. From the unconvincing wins and the poor results this season, we know how that went.

I think the players have to answer partly to the downfall but ultimately the direction in which Moyes had tried taking them in and the style of football he was trying to instil was worrying. Their huge slump, coupled with the lack of signings last summer (probably due to potential signing players' reluctance to play under Moyes) and the rumoured ?200m transfer fund available this summer would worry any owner. Moyes ripped the heart and soul out of Utd and deserved to be fired.

I don't think anybody could have been a good successor to Fergie.  The team has too many old players that are past their prime, plus the various under-performing players (Valencia and Young especially), it all reared it's ugly face this year.  I also hate that they took Chicharito, who was at the peak of his career, and threw him on the bench the past couple years.  Having 3 solid strikers would at least help overcome their pi*s poor defense.

After hearing about how Moyes changed around their training program and also seeing him never pick a consistent lineup, I've recently came to my senses that he just isn't a good fit for the team.  They need to rebuild around a young and energetic back line.

Moyes was faced with a thankless task. Following on from probably the greatest manager in footballing history coming into the most successful club of the last 25 years, with an aging squad. It doesn't matter who they give the role to they will all suffer the same problem: not being Alex Ferguson.

United need to get into the transfer market IMO, it's clear that this current squad has lost it's edge.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news, I guess.  Though I think it all comes down to what they do to rebuild the defense.

Team, United need players all over the pitch. 

Hopefully he'll have the funds available make good buys over the summer period. 

Team, United need players all over the pitch. 

Hopefully he'll have the funds available make good buys over the summer period. 

They're strong up top, for what that's worth, haha.  Rooney and Van Persie, as long as they stay healthy.  I wish they would give Chicharito more playing time instead of Welbeck stinking up the pitch.  Mata and Januzaj (if he stops diving) are great in the midfield.  Young and Valencia make the whole team look like crap.  Throw Fellaini in that bunch too.  It's nice to see the old timers on D call it quits, but that leaves a lot of gaps to fill.  Luke Shaw would be a good start.

So yeah, you're right that the mid and d need A LOT of help.  Even if they make some good signings, I'm not too confident they'll be Champions League caliber.   :(

They're strong up top, for what that's worth, haha.  Rooney and Van Persie, as long as they stay healthy.  I wish they would give Chicharito more playing time instead of Welbeck stinking up the pitch.  Mata and Januzaj (if he stops diving) are great in the midfield.  Young and Valencia make the whole team look like crap.  Throw Fellaini in that bunch too.  It's nice to see the old timers on D call it quits, but that leaves a lot of gaps to fill.  Luke Shaw would be a good start.

So yeah, you're right that the mid and d need A LOT of help.  Even if they make some good signings, I'm not too confident they'll be Champions League caliber.   :(

Team was probably a bit harsh, but definitely the midfield and defence. Hopefully a top four finish to at least qualify for the CL, and once they start performing again domestically they can tackle Europe. 

Shame to hear Giggs is retiring, he has had an immense career.

• Like 1

Team was probably a bit harsh, but definitely the midfield and defence. Hopefully a top four finish to at least qualify for the CL, and once they start performing again domestically they can tackle Europe. 

Shame to hear Giggs is retiring, he has had an immense career.

Giggs certainly has.  Great to hear that he'll still be on the sidelines though.  I think that will be huge for the moral of the team.

Giggs is a legend other than that blip a couple of years back. He has been a role model for young players.

I still have his Secret and Skills VHS at home. It is what made me into the footballer i am not today.

I don't know about Van Gaal but he can't do much worse than Moyes.

Giggs is a legend other than that blip a couple of years back. He has been a role model for young players.

I still have his Secret and Skills VHS at home. It is what made me into the footballer i am not today.

I don't know about Van Gaal but he can't do much worse than Moyes.

Haha, well all he has to do is pick a consistent lineup for more than 1 game in a row, and he'll have Moyes beat.

Haha, well all he has to do is pick a consistent lineup for more than 1 game in a row, and he'll have Moyes beat.

True. Least Ferdinand and Vidic are gone. So he can get a consistent back four that can stay fit.

Man Utd need talent in all positions.

I think we'll be able to gauge how well Van Gaal will do. If Cleverly is in the starting line up for the first game next season. It doesn't bode well for the season :laugh:

• Like 1