A conscientious nature-lover has planted a sea of pink flags in piles of dog poo along a footpath to help people avoid the muck.

Sara Harris, of Syston, was so sick of the sight of dog mess along a canal towpath near her home that she took matters into her own hands.

The businesswoman said repeated requests to various authorities for bins to be provided had not been acted upon, so she has planted dozens of brightly- coloured warning flags along the popular four-mile stretch.

Sara, 43, and husband Mark, 42, who run the Old Junction Boatyard, said dog walkers had either left piles of mess on the path or had hung bags of it on surrounding hedges.

Some have even thrown the filled bags into the canal, where they have started to mount up against the bank.

Mark said: "Sara has made pink poo flags and she marks the fouling with the flags so people can avoid walking in it.

"We've spoken to Charnwood, city, county and the parish councils about installing bins, but they say it's not their responsibility, even though the path has county council signposts on. The Canal and River Trust say it's not their responsibility either. I bet if I put 30 picnic tables on it, I'd soon find out who owned it."

The path runs between Birstall and Cossington, along the River Soar.

The beauty spot attracts hundreds of people a day, said Sara, but the problem was only down to a few inconsiderate people.

"The pathway is littered with rubbish and dog fouling, despite Charnwood Borough Council recently winning an award for its Don't Muck Around campaign," said Sara, referring to a scheme in which council increased patrols and issued leaflets in dog poo hotspots in the borough.

"There is no rubbish bin from Birstall right through to Cossington ? a distance of four or five miles. Where are people supposed to dispose of their rubbish and dog poo?

"It's not everyone ? just a few who are too lazy to take their rubbish with them." :dog:

more

Down the road from me.  There was another in Birstall (next village) who spray painted (biodegradable don't worry) them pink to highlight them.  He was called the Poosader!

• Like 3

Would make more sense to me for some retired persons to use a small shovel and scooper to clean up the poop.

Throw it in the bushes as free fertilizer.

Mark said: "Sara has made pink poo flags and she marks the fouling with the flags so people can avoid walking in it.

Yet it's ok to walk on bird poo? They are everywhere as evidenced by cars being hit by them.

Who are we to dicate what dogs can and can't do? Why should I do the job of cleaning up animal poo when the dogs can do it theirselves. If they can't, then it's a sign to leave it alone. Imagine from a third person view:

"I am handling poo that belongs to someone else or an animal.".

This is why humans are so stupid at times. If we just leave everything as nature intends then there'd be no issues.

Yet it's ok to walk on bird poo? They are everywhere as evidenced by cars being hit by them.

Who are we to dicate what dogs can and can't do? Why should I do the job of cleaning up animal poo when the dogs can do it theirselves. If they can't, then it's a sign to leave it alone. Imagine from a third person view:

This is why humans are so stupid at times. If we just leave everything as nature intends then there'd be no issues.

best trolling post of the day (24/04) :laugh: :rofl:

Down the road from me.  There was another in Birstall (next village) who spray painted (biodegradable don't worry) them pink to highlight them.  He was called the Poosader!

Offtopic: Nik, your avatar is again gone; check it out. thanksbye

i sit here wondering.... is this a real post? I don't see the /s

• Like 3

Where I live, we have a problem with 1)people allowing their Dogs to take a sh*t on the floor.

2)Allowing their Dogs to run loose.

3)Those moron that have those expendable leads.

They are complete a.holes.

The ones that bother to put sh*t into a bag, then just leave the bag on the floor without putting it in the numerous provided Dog waste bins.

Where I live they also provide bags for the faeces.

I don't mind Dogs, but I get sick and tired of having to avoid Dogs on pavements with expendable leads or when walking in a public park that quite clearly states, ''keep your Dog under control at all times'' suddenly have

6 or so Dogs at me barking, growling and trying to bit my legs.

I did say something about this to some old person and her Dog, I got swore at and told she has been walking her Dogs here for 50 years and the effing signs mean nothing.

How about over their faces?

bit extreme, i'd settle for over door knobs, window ledges, letter boxes and car door handles.

and a note writtin in poo.

Where I live, we have a problem with 1)people allowing their Dogs to take a sh*t on the floor.

2)Allowing their Dogs to run loose.

3)Those moron that have those expendable leads.

They are complete a.holes.

The ones that bother to put sh*t into a bag, then just leave the bag on the floor without putting it in the numerous provided Dog waste bins.

Where I live they also provide bags for the faeces.

I don't mind Dogs, but I get sick and tired of having to avoid Dogs on pavements with expendable leads or when walking in a public park that quite clearly states, ''keep your Dog under control at all times'' suddenly have

6 or so Dogs at me barking, growling and trying to bit my legs.

I did say something about this to some old person and her Dog, I got swore at and told she has been walking her Dogs here for 50 years and the effing signs mean nothing.

I could be wrong, but I'm sensing just a teeny weeny bit of negative feeling towards mans best friend, here... :p

(I hate the fracking things, too! Nasty smelly noisy turd factories!)

I think your Dog should be confiscated if you get caught not cleaning up after it, hold it for a duration and charge the owner a free to get it back. If caught a 2nd time the fee doubles, and doubles each time. If you don't pay the fee in time it should be given to a shelter.

If you can't even be bothered to clean up its basic bodily functions, you shouldn't be an owner. 

Agree wholeheartedly with McKay. I'm not a dog owner, but I do walk my neighbours & mother-in-laws dogs on occasion. It's disgusting how many people allow their dogs to deficate on public rights of way, where children play, and not have the decency to clean up after them.

smear it over the letter boxes of those who leave it behind.

This poo sure is making me upset, I'm going to pick it up and start smearing it everywhere in retaliation :ike: .

bit extreme, i'd settle for over door knobs, window ledges, letter boxes and car door handles.

and a note writtin in poo.

Thats a good one, I will be doing that soon.

• Like 1