Real PS4 Screenshots Justify All That 'Next-Gen' Hype

With normal map, the 2000 poly model would be as good as the 20k and 40k models in game though.

Yeah exactly. It's not all about sheer polygon count so wasting resources on it is pointless when better fidelity is achieved with other techniques as you mentioned.

All this arguing seems pretty pointless to me.  Most of those photos looked great, especially the one with the water and the second last one.

If the thread title was just "share your screenshots" etc, but the title put forth a strong opinion, opening itself up to discuss that and present counter opinions. Whether or not the screens are good enough to "justify all that next gen hype".

All this arguing seems pretty pointless to me.  Most of those photos looked great, especially the one with the water and the second last one.

I don't think those screenshots are impressive at all. I'm not just talking about polygon counts either, as I don't care much for the composition of the shots. When you see the game in motion it's much more impressive:

I don't think those screenshots are impressive at all. I'm not just talking about polygon counts either, as I don't care much for the composition of the shots. When you see the game in motion it's much more impressive:

I think most of the screens are pretty creative, they make me want to go and do some of my own and either start a dedicated Thread, or dig to find the "share your gaming screens" thread.

Because you often zoom in a lot closer than that. textures on enviroments and buildings and such need to be higher, after all if a wall had a 1080 res texture, it would look good at a distance when the wall was 1:1 with the screen(well except the screen is 1920 wide), of course then you walk up to it, and ... wow, suddenly you only see a single pixel. 

When it comes to characters they generally use 2048 minimum, often with a separate texture for the face. why ? because the texture wraps and warps around the character. 

a 1080 texture would ONLY ever look good whenit was 1:1 with a 1080 screen in height. 

Also the PS4 top resolution would be 1080 VERTICAL pixels, 1920 HORIZONTAL pixels 

With normal map, the 2000 poly model would be as good as the 20k and 40k models in game though. 

Thanks, thats more or less the point I was getting at :P 

With normal and displacement mapping, polygon models only need to show the shape of what it is they are trying to create, details can be added through the other texture maps. 

Most games specially last gen were 1080x1080 pixels, for the PS4, as rightly pointed out, it is indeed 2048x2048 pixels. Dunno how I missed that but you are indeed correct :) 

• Like 1

Tesselation isn't a perfect technology you can apply to all objects and get a good result. 

as for the chains, it wouldn't make sense to use tesselation on them, in game they're moving to fast and to far away from the camera to ever need it, but it would still activate even though it wouldn't have any visual impact, causing performance slowdowns. 

As for your comments that these shots aren't next gen. are you saying these shots don't look a LOT better than PS3 and Xbox 360 shots ?no? then they're next gen, PC doesn't have generations. 

Finally. Can we put this PC vs, console nonsense to rest? This is neowin, not neoGAF. Seriously, PCs can be more powerful than a PS4 or X1...wow what news! And the sun is hotter than your microwave oven. Second Son is a very nice looking experience, it's arguably the best looking we've seen so far and that's only six months or less from platform release. Pretty impressive. And forgive me for saying this, but not everything looks uniformly great on "PC", Dark Souls 2 is a great game but save for AA it looks exactly like the console version. This bickering is pointless. Good looking game is good looking.

Thanks for that.  It does look impressive (although there doesn't seem to be much gameplay in that first half an hour).