Extended Vehicle Service Contracts

Anyone have any idea how these companies get people's addresses after someone purchases a vehicle? Both of my roomates and myself are getting these offers in the mail after all buying cars within the last two months. Two cars were purchased from a dealer and one was private party.  I was thinking that dealerships were selling the information, but if that was the case then the car purchased private party should not be getting offers for coverage. Seems as if the SoS/DMV is selling this information directly.

Creeps me out that some company who can't even put their name on their mailings knows that I just purchased a car.

Creeps me out that some company who can't even put their name on their mailings knows that I just purchased a car.

3of61a.jpg

Ya I get those too, I also get phone calls about them as well. Hey, did you know my ford escape warranty has expired?

It's common practice to sell on your details to 3rd parties - over here anyway, insurance companies also sold details of to solicitors after one has an accident

They know because the either the bank, dealer, or most likely the DMV has public records that 3rd parties can look at. Same thing with accidents, you'll have ambulance chasers mailing and calling you about it.