'PC games have surpassed console games globally'

+xrobwx71

PC gamers get "nervous" about numbers because they fear that games will move away from their beloved PCs altogether...and we some evidence of that already with some big titles never making it to PC.  My last console was a PS3, which is now hacked and getting some use finally, I found everything about it inferior but my GF loves the damned thing and doesn't notice the graphics difference between that and my GTX 780 SLI rig...I know crazy right? 

Developers, especially early on, know they won't have worry about piracy or even cheating nearly as much with consoles and would probably be just fine with only developing for them but the nice thing now is that with the new architecture, we'll see even more for PC than last gen...I for one am looking forward to that.

If that happened I would probably quit gaming. For me it's not about what I think is better than _____ or because I use it its better than____. I have been gaming on a PC since the middle 1990's and it's what I like, it works well for me. I have tried consoles and I just don't like it. I prefer the keyboard/mouse to a controller. That is what matters to me. Who sells more or who thinks this or that is better, means ###### to me. I will use what makes (for me) a comfortable and enjoyable experience.

neoadorable

I know, I just don't think people understand what is being discussed here.

Consoles were traditionally the bigger earners for the industry, now, ironically, free-to-play games are bringing in massive revenue and have allowed the PC to overtake consoles.

I don't know why people are saying "omg, this is obvious". How was it obvious? How did people know that the roles for raising revenue had reversed? Guessed? Gut feeling? We know it now because someone actually done a study.

It's obvious through sheer numbers. Really doubt free to play is outselling traditional gaming, one or even a few studies are not enough. Wasn't there another study a few weeks back that said just 2% of free to players actually buy anything?

Said it's obvious because there are billions of PCs literally on the planet, as opposed to a couple hundred million active consoles - even 400 million if you count Wii's. With 10:1 PCs will always sell more overall. The impression that consoles were the preferred destination is something that emerged in the last 10 years, and it was limited to our kind of gaming: the so-called AAA or hardcore variety. This impression was also cemented by just a few key franchises, it was not proven by others even within hardcore gaming: just look at Dark Souls, they went with PC to really grow the franchise, and that's as traditional as gaming can get. I reiterate my point that consoles have taken on this powerful sales engine charisma due to attach rate: console gamers are more likely to simply spend more per person. But there are far less of them than PC users.

So not a gut feeling, just logic and i guess being a gamer for 35 years now.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Bethesda's Pete Hines: I'm sorry about Starfield Xbox exclusivity, but it is what it is
      by Usama Jawad

At E3 last week, we finally got official confirmation that Bethesda's highly-anticipated RPG Starfield is coming next year, but will only launch on PC, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox cloud play systems, which essentially means that last-gen consoles and PlayStation will be left out. Although this announcement was somewhat expected given Microsoft's acquisition of ZeniMax Media last year, it obviously rubbed some PlayStation players the wrong way. Bethesda's SVP Pete Hines has now issued an apology on the matter, while emphasizing that it is what it is.

In an interview with GameSpot, the executive went on to say that:

All said and done, it's pretty much clear that Bethesda has no plans to bring Starfield to PlayStation for now. Although it is important to understand that plans change all the time.

Starfield currently has a release date of November 11, 2022. The space adventure is being developed on Creation Engine 2, and in the in-engine trailer released a few days ago, we saw a spaceship parked on an unknown planet before a pressurized suit wearing individual - probably our protagonist - prepares to take off. Not much else is known about the game yet, but we'll likely find out more with the progression of time.

Source: GameSpot via GamesRadar

• By zikalify
      Component shortage fails to slow PC growth in Western Europe, says Canalys
      by Paul Hill

According to new research from Canalys, PC shipments in Western Europe during the first quarter reached 16.1 million units representing year-on-year growth of 48%. The analyst said that despite component shortages and high demand for PCs to enable working from home, the supply chain is in better shape than in Q1 2020 when COVID-19 brought everything to a standstill suddenly.

HP saw the most shipments at 4.1 million units, representing 26% market share and Lenovo saw 4.0 million shipments, representing a 25% market share. In the following three places were Dell, Apple, and Acer who had market shares of 14%, 10%, and 9% respectively. Of these, Apple saw the highest growth, up 127% year on year. Canalys said that the new M1 chipset was a major driver behind sales of new Macs.

Commenting on Apple’s success in Western Europe, Canalys Research Analyst Trang Pham said:

As we emerge from the pandemic, Canalys doesn’t believe we’ll return to the world as it was before the pandemic. Instead, it sees employees doing more remote work which will keep demand for PCs high. Over the next 12 months, Canalys doesn’t expect PC supply to match the “sustained demand surge”.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Huawei to launch HarmonyOS and new devices on June 2
      by Jay Bonggolto

Huawei unveiled HarmonyOS in 2019, its homegrown operating system designed to run on various smart devices including smartphones, wearables, wireless earbuds, laptops, tablets, and self-driving cars. A year later, the company announced a version of the OS specifically built for smartphones, dubbed HarmonyOS 2.0, though it was not meant for release until sometime in 2021.

Today, the Chinese phone maker posted a new video online teasing the upcoming launch of HarmonyOS and other products on June 2. The teaser was shared on Twitter.

It's not clear whether the event will be China-only or worldwide, but it's expected to mark a new milestone in Huawei's efforts to cut its reliance on Android after U.S. sanctions prevented Google from providing support to its mobile devices. Huawei didn't say as well whether it's launching a new smartphone in June, apart from indicating that it would unveil new products in addition to HarmonyOS.

Huawei positions the new operating system as a key step in addressing the impact of U.S. sanctions that adversely affected its business worldwide. Aside from the Google ban, Huawei's access to critical U.S. technology that's necessary to manufacture its own Kirin processor was blocked.

The company's solution is to focus on its software ecosystem. Huawei's founder and CEO, Ren Zhengfei, most recently called on employees to "dare to lead the world" in software in a move to counter the impact of U.S. sanctions, according to an internal memo. He said transitioning to software and services will give the company "greater independence and autonomy" as these are beyond the reach of U.S. control.

• By zikalify
      The low-level Rust programming language has just turned six years old
      by Paul Hill

The developers behind the Rust programming language celebrated six years since the launch of version 1.0 on Saturday. In its fairly short life, it has gained a lot of interest as a replacement for C thanks to the code safety features that are on by default which lead to fewer memory-related bugs that can be exploited. This memory safety has caught the imagination of many and Stack Overflow even found it to be the most loved programming language in its 2020 survey.

Earlier this year, the Rust Foundation was established to look after its namesake language following lay-offs at Mozilla which was previously maintaining the project. The creation of the Rust Foundation was one of the biggest events in the language’s six-year history and will be one of the most important going forward.

One of the most notable projects to adopt Rust to date is Mozilla’s web browser, Firefox. Since Firefox 48, Mozilla has been inserting more and more Rust code into its flagship browser to increase the overall speed of the browser and increase security thanks to the elimination of memory leaks. As of July 2020, 12.31% of code in Firefox Nightly on macOS was written using Rust code compared to 6.24% back in November 2018.

Going forward, Google is planning to move low-level components on Android to Rust with work already starting on the Bluetooth stack. Meanwhile, the Linux kernel developers are contemplating whether to allow code to be written in Rust for the creation of safer driver and kernel-space code. If you’d like to see where Rust is heading this year on a technical level, be sure to read their recent blog post on the matter.

• By zikalify
      UK turning to legislation to get rid of mobile not-spots
      by Paul Hill

The UK government has announced that it will propose law changes in an effort to boost mobile connectivity in rural areas to help those who live, work, and travel in those places. Under the legislation, mobile carriers will be allowed to make new and existing masts up to five metres taller and two metres wider to boost their range, it also allows operators to attach equipment that lets them be shared more easily.

The government believes that the change will encourage mobile carriers to improve their existing masts rather than build new ones. The increased size would still allow them to reach a similar number of users as building new masts, enabling innovations such as remote healthcare, self-driving vehicles, and smart home devices.

The legislation will give protection to protected areas such as national parks, the Broads, conservation areas, areas of outstanding natural beauty, and world heritage sites but will allow for masts on buildings to be placed nearer to highways to boost coverage.

Commenting on the new legislation, Digital Secretary Oliver Dowden said:

While the new legislation will loosen restrictions, the government said that local authorities would still need to give their approval for masts and will have a say on where they’re placed and their appearance. The new plans will first go to consultation until 14 June 2021 to get feedback before starting the process of becoming law.