Driver that struck teen suing dead boy's family

ALCONA, ONT. - Still in the throes of agony from losing their son in a vehicle crash, the parents of young Brandon Majewski are now reeling after they learned the woman who struck and killed him is suing their dead child.

?I feel like someone kicked me in the stomach ? I?m over the edge,? the dead boy?s father, Derek Majewski, said. ?Sometimes, it makes my blood boil.?

As he sits in his immaculate Alcona home, near the shores of Lake Simcoe and roughly 90 km north of Toronto, sifting through piles of photographs of his son, the heartache shows on his face and he can hardly contain his tears as he speaks.

Just down the road, on the side of a quiet country stretch of Innisfil Beach Rd., is a memorial complete with a bicycle, flowers and photographs of his son, Brandon.

The spunky, handsome, 17-year-old bike enthusiast was out with his two buddies on Oct. 28, 2012 when they hopped on their bicycles to go for hot dogs on a drizzly, dark night around 1:30 a.m.

?I know they should not have been out there that late,? his father said. ?But they are good kids.?

Brandon was struck from behind by an SUV and killed while his friend Richard McLean, 16, was seriously injured with a broken pelvis and other bones. His other pal Jake Roberts, 16, was knocked off his bike but sustained only scratches.

Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She?s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy?s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She?s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

A South Simcoe Police report shows Simon admitted that she was driving at 90 km/h in an 80 km/h zone on the two-lane road. She claims she didn?t see the boys or any of the orange-red pedal reflectors. The impact of the collision cracked the windshield of her SUV, dented the bumper, a headlight was busted, the roof where Brandon hit was dented and scratched and a side mirror dangled by its wires.

more

I read the whole article and I am at a loss for words. Hopefully, whatever Judge they draw will throw it out.

I'm originally from the UK and as far as I'm aware this sort of stuff just doesn't happen - no solicitor/lawyer would even take it on.

The US is a special place for this, isn't it? I hope she gets told to GTFO. 

I'm originally from the UK and as far as I'm aware this sort of stuff just doesn't happen - no solicitor/lawyer would even take it on.

I believe this is in Canada, which has different laws than the sue happy U.S.

So who is worse ?  Her, or her attorney ?

You have to understand that ambulance-chasing attorneys are some of the most malignant pariahs on the planet

Is the kid's family wealthy ? 

If you had read the story properly, you would have realised that this has actually happened in Ontario, Canada. Last time I checked, Canada is not part of the US.

If you had read the story properly, you would have realised that this has actually happened in Ontario, Canada. Last time I checked, Canada is not part of the US.

Alright grumpy.. 

All countries have their own bizarre cases. There was something about a man going to sue Gregg's not too long ago because he got a bit too excited over his cornish pasty or something.

What makes this article though is the sheer ignorance of the lady suing. Emotional trauma? Did she stop and think for a moment, "they've probably got it worse"? Especially when she learns that not only did one boy die because of her actions, but another ended up dying as well?

Absolutely shocking, in my opinion.

The report also states: ?No breathalyzer was performed. Although police say no alcohol was suspected and no charges were laid.

Simon?s husband, Jules Simon, a York Regional Police officer, was driving behind his wife that night, but little is mentioned about him as a witness in the police report. He pulled over when Brandon was struck and shortly after drove his wife home in his vehicle.

Sounds like cops covering for cops.

All countries have their own bizarre cases. There was something about a man going to sue Gregg's not too long ago because he got a bit too excited over his cornish pasty or something.

What makes this article though is the sheer ignorance of the lady suing. Emotional trauma? Did she stop and think for a moment, "they've probably got it worse"? Especially when she learns that not only did one boy die because of her actions, but another ended up dying as well?

Absolutely shocking, in my opinion.

Ha ha.. really? Not seen that one. I'm not denying the UK has crazy rules, I could sit and discuss that all day, but it's one of the reasons I left. I was sick of the nanny state it has become.

Agreed completely with your other comment though. She is clearly not a nice person.

I read this earlier in the week and was disgusted.  I'm still disgusted by it.  You read this sort of stuff and think, wow, all those people in the past I've thought were selfish in my life... nothing on this bitch.

• Like 2

I'm sure to some degree she is suffering, I know I would struggle to cope with the fact I had killed and seriously injured a bunch of teenagers but this is just stupid. I love the fact that the "incompetent" cyclists are to blame but the extra 10KMPH she was doing shows no bearing on this.

Wait what? She is suing for emotional trauma, for what the guilt of hitting and killing someone? I guess, she doesn't realize that the family is going through much more emotional trauma, if this goes through to the courts, the family should counter sue. Some people...yeesh

Only in America ... ;)

And Canada is part of North America.

• Like 2

Alright grumpy.. 

There is nothing grumpy about what I said. I merely pointed out that your complaint was misdirected at a country which, on this occasion, had nothing to do with what transpired.

• Like 2

What if they were driving a vehicle and were in the wrong?... age and outcome doesn't alleviate responsibility. I think its horrible that this happened. But it happens all the time with automobiles. Someone causes accident, is killed and then is sued by the insurance company to recoup damages caused by the person who was in the wrong. The only difference here is the people at fault were riding bikes.

There is nothing grumpy about what I said. I merely pointed out that your complaint was misdirected at a country which, on this occasion, had nothing to do with what transpired.

North America, America, USA... it's all the same muddled mess to me  :blush:

What if they were driving a vehicle and were in the wrong?... age and outcome doesn't alleviate responsibility. I think its horrible that this happened. But it happens all the time with automobiles. Someone causes accident, is killed and then is sued by the insurance company to recoup damages caused by the person who was in the wrong. The only difference here is the people at fault were riding bikes.

How were bike riders at fault? Riding at night isn't illegal. They should wear more reflective gear if they weren't, but that doesn't dismiss drivers from paying attention to the road. She hit them from behind - in the auto world, that's basically at-fault by default.

Dont they teach basic geography in Ireland any more??

I've no idea chap - I've never attended a school in Ireland.