So...Beast Souls?

Three screens via JPS Kai:

8wdsZ

8wdr7

8wdsg

he walked around

fought enemies

i can describe a giant mindflayer type enemy

a character placing a shining magic sword into a pedestal at the base of a statue

a huge pyromancy fireball

shotguns

there was text "This is a nightmare."

Source: 

E3! *drool* 

It's been rumoured for a while Sony were going to get Demons Souls 2, but with Souls now being associated with multiplat maybe we're just going to get a souls game under a new name?

• Like 4
helios01

Hope they make it ala Demons Souls or Dark Souls but not like Dark Souls 2. So I guess , getting the original director back on boat is essential. Dark Souls 2 gameplay was made overly slow and reaction times are no longer relevant, it's all about strategy and anticipation now which is not bad but it takes a big chunk of skill out of the game. The physics also took a step downward in DkS2 from Demons/Dark Souls imo. 

On a slightly different note, Sony made a huge mistake ever letting the Souls series go multiplatform. The series has gone on to become critically acclaimed and sold in the millions. 

+Audioboxer

Hope they make it ala Demons Souls or Dark Souls but not like Dark Souls 2. So I guess , getting the original director back on boat is essential. Dark Souls 2 gameplay was made overly slow and reaction times are no longer relevant, it's all about strategy and anticipation now which is not bad but it takes a big chunk of skill out of the game. The physics also took a step downward in DkS2 from Demons/Dark Souls imo. 

On a slightly different note, Sony made a huge mistake ever letting the Souls series go multiplatform. The series has gone on to become critically acclaimed and sold in the millions. 

Well the original creator Miyazaki has been working on this since DS1, on DS2 he handed the project over to someone else and only spent some time overseeing it.

Demons Souls is owned by Sony, but in order for all souls games to have been exclusive I think Sony would have to have bought From Software. That or contracted all the "souls" games, not just Demons. Not saying they shouldn't have, they should have, but its clear that they somehow thought they game wouldn't be as big a success as it was (Atlus were left to publish in US/EU). Silly Sony!

People are essentially classing this as Demon Souls 2 though, as with it being published by SCEJ, it will be exclusive.

GotBored

'Project Beast' Screenshots Leaked: Possible PS4 Exclusive From Makers Of 'Dark Souls'

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/05/02/project-beast-screenshots-leaked-possible-ps4-exclusive-from-makers-of-dark-souls/

When Dark Souls II was announced we learned that Souls creator and director, Hidetaka Miyazaki, would not be leading the project. It was rumored that he was working on another project. There?s no telling if Project Beast is that project at this point, but it wouldn?t be surprising.

The game is also apparently being developed in conjunction with Sony's Japan Studio. That was the case with Demon?s Souls, the PS3 exclusive that kicked off the Souls franchise in 2009. If true, this would make Project Beast a PlayStation exclusive, and specifically a PS4 exclusive.
trooper11

Great images, I'm very interested in seeing what this turns out to be in motion.

+Audioboxer

Good video talking about the screens, Demons Souls and Sony

• Like 1
.Ruby

I'm a huge fan of the souls series but I can tell that I'm not good at the games :laugh: . I'm very excited for project beast, I do feel most of the resources were going into this title instead of Das2.

• 4 weeks later...
neoadorable

Souls with guns...yes! As long as they keep the more tactical pace. Lest it swallow you whole, as it has so many others: DmC, Bayonetta, etc.

I would really love a Souls/Armored Core cross-over, as well :D

Please let me face RRA in a giant mech bristling with nuclear warheads, please :cry:

+Audioboxer

2 days, HYPE.

Disappointed in the lack of Souls-Neowin. Andy why don't you play more Souls games? :p

Andrew

2 days, HYPE.

Disappointed in the lack of Souls-Neowin. Andy why don't you play more Souls games? :p

Because I suck at them :( I love the style and setting, but I struggle to get into the gameplay. I don't know if it's because it just felt "clunky" or what, but something didn't click for me.

Which one is the most noob-friendly and I'll give it another go sometime.

• Like 1
trooper11

Which one is the most noob-friendly and I'll give it another go sometime.

Noob-friendly Souls game? I think that would be none of them :laugh:

I have enjoyed the series, but I'm sort of in the same camp as you. There are times when I have to stop playing for a while because of a long string of deaths in the same area, over and over. The gameplay can start to feel less then pleasant.

Andrew

Noob-friendly Souls game? I think that would be none of them :laugh:

I have enjoyed the series, but I'm sort of in the same camp as you. There are times when I have to stop playing for a while because of a long string of deaths in the same area, over and over. The gameplay can start to feel less then pleasant.

I don't mind the difficulty as such. I love and play roguelikes / permadeath games which I think go a level beyond Souls, but I can't put my finger on what I didn't like.

I haven't touched them since Demon Souls a few years ago when AB brought it to my attention, so maybe it has improved since then. I think both have been part of PS+ and GwG respecitvely so nothing to lose trying them again I guess. Will download them later, but still I'd like to know which is easier to get to grips with :P

+Audioboxer

Dark Souls 2 gameplay mechanics are the most refined Andy. Probably just try it.

Dark Souls has blightown.... Holy batman frame rate drops.

• Like 1
neoadorable

I don't mind the difficulty as such. I love and play roguelikes / permadeath games which I think go a level beyond Souls, but I can't put my finger on what I didn't like.

I haven't touched them since Demon Souls a few years ago when AB brought it to my attention, so maybe it has improved since then. I think both have been part of PS+ and GwG respecitvely so nothing to lose trying them again I guess. Will download them later, but still I'd like to know which is easier to get to grips with :p

You're missing out on Dark Souls 2, it's crazy accessible. They finally nailed the challenging but rewarding balance right. Demon's Souls was just too brutal. Dark Souls 2 is my GOTY thus far, so defo recommended.

+Audioboxer

Got the main thing I wanted :P

of2C2oT.png

A Terrifying New World: Journey to a horror-filled gothic city where deranged mobs and nightmarish creatures lurk around every corner.

Strategic Action Combat: Armed with a unique arsenal of weaponry, including guns and saw cleavers, you'll need wits, strategy and reflexes to take down the agile and intelligent enemies that guard the city's dark secrets.

A New Generation of Action RPG: Stunningly detailed gothic environments, atmospheric lighting, and advanced new online experiences showcase the power and prowess of the PlayStation®4 system.
  • Like 2
+Audioboxer
Bloodborne is the cover story of this week's Famitsu, and there's an interview with Miyazaki in it as well. Here are some details reported by a Japanese blog who got the magazine early.

- Spring 2015 release window
- They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, targeting Sony's new hardware
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- They're targeting 30fps at 1080p
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast"
- There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
- Character customization is confirmed
- There will be no map display in the game
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together

• Like 1
trooper11

I really want to see a proper, full quality trailer. The stream last night did not do it justice.

Andrew

That trailer was pretty insane. I've always liked the vibe from Demon's and DS but BB took it to a whole new level.

Crazy how fast they're releasing it too. Q1/2 is going to be very busy / expensive

• Like 1
neoadorable

"deranged mobs and nightmarish creatures lurk around every corner" :rofl:

Sounds like my commute to work!

Yes, this should be a very good game. But it's official, 2015 is really trying for most annoying year in gaming. What the hell, is the economy slated for a rebound in the next six months or something? What are we supposed to buy this holiday season? There's only like 20 full price titles coming out from now till end of Nov, i demand my usual 40 :D

+Audioboxer

Tiny tease

Bloodborne gameplay:

Game is noticeably early on.

• Like 2
neoadorable

Hope this city will have cameos from the Souls games. Managed to solo RRV and i'd be sorely let down if he and his friends didn't make the sewers of this new location :laugh:

Andrew

So I haven't played much of the Souls games as I've said, but these trailers give a very different impression of gameplay and setting to me.

There's almost a Res Evil / DMC vibe in there, but with the dials turned all the way up. The level of atmosphere and gothic / horror tones are through the roof, compared to Souls (at least from my ill experienced perspective) which leans more towards fantasy (dragons, knights, castles etc).  Can't wait to see more.

Title updated

• Like 3
+Audioboxer

So I haven't played much of the Souls games as I've said, but these trailers give a very different impression of gameplay and setting to me.

There's almost a Res Evil / DMC vibe in there, but with the dials turned all the way up. The level of atmosphere and gothic / horror tones are through the roof, compared to Souls (at least from my ill experienced perspective) which leans more towards fantasy (dragons, knights, castles etc).  Can't wait to see more.

Title updated

Yeah Demons Souls had more of a gothic feel, Dark Souls was a bit more modern fantasy "horror". 

This seems to share more in common with Demons in terms of environment atmosphere. The leaked trailer above is the most footage we have, but it's also the earliest, notable lighting upgrades in the E3 build. Both suffer from bad framerate and tearing, but until Gamescom/TGS we can just put that down to development footage.