Android Tablet Purchase. Looking For Owner Opinions.

I still love my Nexus 10.  Bought the 32GB version about a year ago, and still love it.  Performs well and does everything I want it to do.  If you can pick one up for $275 or less, which you generally can nowdays if you look around (eBay), it's a good balance of performance and price.  It'll be soon getting the 4.4.3 update (mine's running 4.4.2 right now) so Google hasn't forgotten it.

Loving my Note Pro 12.2 here as I like the real estate. I was at a pain to choose but specs wise it was the best out there and for my usage is fitting the bill quote nicely though needs to be rooted to remove the garbage.

I wish HTC had a tablet version of the HTC One (M7) as that's what my phone is and I love that.

I moved out of the Apple ecosystem (iPhone4S/iPad3/ATV3/iTunes) as iTunes is a pig on Windows, and converting everything to compatible media formats was becoming tiresome.

I liek the looks of the Z2 but I want more than 10.1 and 12 is rocking!

I have the 13' Nexus 7 and it's a great tablet for the price.  I really dislike Android, but it works well for what I use it for.  The only other drawback is that the battery life isn't all that great.

That's it yep. Slightly over retail though.

So here is my dilemma, if you can call it that.

I like this Z2's specs a whole lot. I can also order it directly from Sony, where I also have Sony Reward Points, which will save me $100 of the price actually, so I get it for the price of a (new) Nexus 10.

The one and only thing I am hesitant about is OS updates. I want to always be able to update whatever device I get to the latest Android OS, and while picking something like the Nexus gives me that feature I believe, it is not terribly clear I will be able to do so with the Sony Xperia.

Especially if a 5.x version of Android is expected to be released at some point, will I be able to update to that eventually with an XPeria device?

If so I will purchase it now. I literally have it in my shopping cart.

If the answer is no or just not known, I think I am going to hold off.

Hi - the answer to your question on whether or not a non-nexus device will get the latest and greatest android version when its released is..... maybe/unsure.

If having the latest version is a big draw for you, then you want to go with a Nexus device. 

personally I was in the same situation - I bought an Asus TF300 transformer that came with 4.0 and that stopped getting updates at 4.2.1.  Went with a Nexus the next go around.

Hi - the answer to your question on whether or not a non-nexus device will get the latest and greatest android version when its released is..... maybe/unsure.

If having the latest version is a big draw for you, then you want to go with a Nexus device. 

personally I was in the same situation - I bought an Asus TF300 transformer that came with 4.0 and that stopped getting updates at 4.2.1.  Went with a Nexus the next go around.

Thanks for the reply Spyder. Good to see you around still. And that's pretty much what I figured.

So I went with the Xperia Z2 Tablet anyway.  :laugh:

The specs on the thing are just to nice for me to deny. It really is a beautiful specimen from a hardware perspective.

Waterproof, allows for memory cards (even if they are Sony's), thin as can be, powerful as all hell compared to other tablets, all of these things just made me kept coming back to it.

Finally I signed up for a Sony Credit Card awhile back now to earn the Sony Reward points, so as I hinted to earlier in the thread I had them, and more than I realized actually, so using them brought the cost of the Z2 down to below a Nexus 10 for me.

So I am going to own and really hopefully enjoy this Z2, then down the road if things really bother me with lack of updates, etc. I may look at the Nexus 9 and give this Z2 to my parents, as I have never been able to get them to use a computer no matter how much I try, but my mother is currently loving the Nexus 7 I got for them and really using it, her only complaint is sometimes things are hard to read.

So I might even have the Xperia Z2 Tablet by the end of the week depending on shipping. I will post some impressions once I do pick it up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and opinions. It is much appreciated.

• Like 3