1500 year old Bible claims Jesus was not Crucified

ancient-bible-turkey-nationalturk-02451.

Discovered and kept secret in the year 2000, the book contains the Gospel of Barnabas ? a disciple of Christ ? which shows that Jesus was not crucified, nor was he the son of God, but a Prophet.  The book also calls Apostle Paul ?The Impostor?.  The book also claims that Jesus ascended to heaven alive, and that Judas Iscariot was crucified in his place.

Given the history of the bible is pretty shady, edited by Kings and Emperors, new parts added and others removed etc. Do you think it could be real?

http://higherperspective.com/2014/05/1500-year-old-bible-claims-jesus-christ-crucified-vatican-awe.html?utm_source=HP

It's about religion. Since it contradicts current beliefs, it is untrue, even if it is.. Kinda like science.

I love how people are so willing to accept ANY alternative gospel.  No one considers the council of Nicea to be a peer reviewing of religious texts, no, they were simply there to make a hatchet job of the Bible and cover up the "truth". 

Educate yourselves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_manuscript

No one wants to accept what the Bible says, so as soon as someone comes along and says "hey guys, here's a single copy of a single manuscript that contradicts every other account we have" people fall over themselves to espouse it.  Sad really. 

If you don't want to believe the Bible, that's fine.  Don't sit there and tell me that you know "the truth" about it.  Da Vinci code was fiction.

I love how people are so willing to accept ANY alternative gospel.  No one considers the council of Nicea to be a peer reviewing of religious texts, no, they were simply there to make a hatchet job of the Bible and cover up the "truth". 

Educate yourselves:

No one wants to accept what the Bible says, so as soon as someone comes along and says "hey guys, here's a single copy of a single manuscript that contradicts every other account we have" people fall over themselves to espouse it.  Sad really. 

If you don't want to believe the Bible, that's fine.  Don't sit there and tell me that you know "the truth" about it.  Da Vinci code was fiction.

There's no proof of any event in any version of the bible, so I'd say it's pretty understandable for people to nitpick discrepancies between versions.

There's no proof of any event in any version of the bible, so I'd say it's pretty understandable for people to nitpick discrepancies between versions.

That's not even at issue here.  This isn't nitpicking differences, this is "HEY YOU GUYS THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED OH WE'RE MORE ENLIGHTENED THAN THOSE FUN-DIES!"

If you want to talk about the historicity of the Bible, let's talk that, instead of this drivel. 

• Like 2

Educate yourselves:

That council was a bunch of Christians deciding which stories written by thousand year old goat herders were "true" and which weren't? Why so quick to dismiss something that old that is just as valid?

Some made up book trying to discredit another made up book, sounds about as real as you can get...

That council was a bunch of Christians deciding which stories written by thousand year old goat herders were "true" and which weren't? Why so quick to dismiss something that old that is just as valid?

The Council of Nicea took place 325ish AD, just a few hundred years after the fact, just pointing that out.

You're just showing your own ignorance on the subject when you talk like this.  Do some damn research (actual research, don't just leech off the top posts on /r/atheism)

I feel like most people don't actually care (if they did, there'd be more than just "hurr durr goat herders"), they just like to knock down other people's beliefs.  Find a new hobby.

That's not even at issue here.  This isn't nitpicking differences, this is "HEY YOU GUYS THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED OH WE'RE MORE ENLIGHTENED THAN THOSE FUN-DIES!"

If you want to talk about the historicity of the Bible, let's talk that, instead of this drivel. 

What are you talking about?  This is exactly the issue...  This particular story differs from one of the most significant stories in the "accepted" version of bible.  Key word here is "STORY".  If there weren't so many conflicting details between versions, stuff like this wouldn't ever be a big deal.  You're making a huge fuss over this for absolute no reason.  Nobody is claiming that this discovery is changing anything.  It's simply a source of interest.  Settle down...

The Council of Nicea took place 325ish AD, just a few hundred years after the fact, just pointing that out.

Don't even bother man, even all the books were written on the same day and the council canonized them within 24 hours, these people still wouldn't accept it. 

And even to this day we constantly misinterpret and mess up stories that only happened 250 years ago, they're still just going to be sifting through stories written hundreds of years ago and deciding which ones were "true". I don't understand how they can be an authority on the matter. 

You're just showing your own ignorance on the subject when you talk like this.  Do some damn research (actual research, don't just leech off the top posts on /r/atheism)

I feel like most people don't actually care (if they did, there'd be more than just "hurr durr goat herders"), they just like to knock down other people's beliefs.  Find a new hobby.

I'm not attacking Christianity, I was asking questions, and you respond by attacking me?

• Like 1

I'm not attacking Christianity, I was asking questions, and you respond by attacking me?

The fact that you consider this to be "just as valid" as the actual Biblical texts tells me you're not interested in actual discourse :) 

The fact that you consider this to be "just as valid" as the actual Biblical texts tells me you're not interested in actual discourse :)

Why is it not? The bible is a collection of stories, put together hundreds of years after they were written. This is another ancient story that might have simply gotten lost. Why do you automatically dismiss this? 

Im not saying this is fact, does the fact I put this in "It's a Conspiracy!" not give you a hint of that?

Why is it not? The bible is a collection of stories, put together hundreds of years after they were written. This is another ancient story that might have simply gotten lost. Why do you automatically dismiss this? 

Im not saying this is fact, does the fact I put this in "It's a Conspiracy!" not give you a hint of that?

Because it's already been dismissed.  Check the Wikipedia entry on it. 

It's unclear where the source article gets its claims that "The text maintains a vision similar to Islam, contradicting the New Testament?s teachings of Christianity. Jesus also foresees the coming of the Prophet Muhammad, who would found Islam 700 years later." The actual source it refers to mentions nothing of the sort.

Anyway, the dating appears extremely vague, spanning 500 years, so it could easily have been written after the Council of Nicea. If it mentions Muhammad then it's likely to have been written after Muhammad even.

Also, the article dates from 2012 so I don't understand why it is resurfacing as news today.

This is what Wikipedia has to state on the topic:

In February 2012, it was confirmed by the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism that a 52-page biblical manuscript in Syriac had been deposited in the Ethnography Museum of Ankara.[59] Newspaper reports in Turkey claimed that the manuscript had been found in Cyprus in 2000, in an operation conducted by police against smugglers, and had been kept in a police repository since then;[60] and further speculated that the text of the manuscript could be that of the Gospel of Barnabas. No subsequent confirmation has been made, either as to the contents of the Ankara manuscript, or as to any findings of scientific tests for its age and authenticity.[59] In March 2012 Dr Assad Sauma, an expert in medieval Syriac texts, reported that the manuscript deposited in the Ethonography Museum could be identified with one for which he had formerly undertaken a partial analysis. He stated that the portions of text that the had examined had consisted of random gospel verses and quotations; and also that he had been unable to find any correspondence between them and the text of the Gospel of Barnabas. (in Arabic)

Based on that it's likely to be some late muslim take on the Gospel.

By the way, the jumping to conclusions and irrelevant mockery displayed in both the original article and this thread is very perplexing. It seems like anytime the Bible mentioned, people are in a lot more hurry to display their ignorant, derogatory opinions than trying to understand what is actually being talked about.

Because it's already been dismissed.  Check the Wikipedia entry on it. 

That just makes me want to believe it more!  :crazy: