PS Vita - Background Downloads

So something that's been bothering me for a bit but got by as most games weren't that large in size. God of War reminded me how annoying it is that I couldn't get background downloads working on my Vita while it was in sleep mode.  I always thought the issue was you had to let the system go into sleep mode on it's own but it would pause them anyways.  I finally figured out how to fix this and I'm thinking there may be a few others in the same boat.  

When you go into Settings > Power Save Settings you'll see a check box next to Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode.  You'll want to uncheck that box if you want background downloads to work.  Prior to this I always thought that by having it checked, it meant that it would allow the system to continue to use the wifi while in power save mode (ie. sleep).  What it actually means that it will put the wifi in a power saving mode (ie. turn it off when it goes to sleep causing downloads to be paused).

Now you can just start the downloads, force the system into sleep mode and let them download in the background.  I'm just waiting to see howhow it affects my standby battery time in the long term, as it may end up being something I toggle on/off as needed.

i dont leave my Vita on all the time. When i do leave it sit in sleep mode it'll download things in the background overnight. really slick - sync Throphies, download patches and such.

When you go into Settings > Power Save Settings you'll see a check box next to Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode.  You'll want to uncheck that box if you want background downloads to work.  Prior to this I always thought that by having it checked, it meant that it would allow the system to continue to use the wifi while in power save mode (ie. sleep).  What it actually means that it will put the wifi in a power saving mode (ie. turn it off when it goes to sleep causing downloads to be paused).

Blimey, I never knew that. Thanks for posting that; I always thought the same as you did beforehand.

i dont leave my Vita on all the time. When i do leave it sit in sleep mode it'll download things in the background overnight. really slick - sync Throphies, download patches and such.

Yeah I have it setup to sync trophies, saves and download patches as well. Just never push downloads to the Vita like the PS3/4 as I keep it in my backpack and don't always have it charged a lot. Just afraid of some 4GB download killing the battery completely if it's low and I want to use it later that day...granted with the screen off and no games running it probably wouldn't even drain it all that much now that I think of it...

• 2 weeks later...