Graphics Card Stuck In PCIe 3.0 Slot

Go to solution Solved by gohpep,

Mystic Mungis

So a month or so ago I got a Sapphire R9 270X Toxic, great card and had no problems with it. A couple of days ago I went to strip my PC and clean it, however when I got to the graphics card I noticed that I couldn't push down the lock on the slot. I could pull the front half (well more like a quarter because the card is so big) out of the slot but could not push the lock down at the back no matter how hard I tried, I tried to push it down with a screwdriver and got it about half way open before it just pinged back up. I didn't want to try any harder and have the screwdriver split it and crack the mobo.

I have it in the PCIe 3.0 slot, the one with the lock that's kinda more like a DIMM slot's as opposed to the tab.

ceW7Xza.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the size of the graphics card/shroud that's causing it, to stick, I tried to get my camera down to have a look but it's too low for me to be able to see. This is the opposite side though, as you can see the head of the lock is pretty marked with the force I was putting on the screwdriver.

zdgxaTe.jpg

So does anyone have any advice? I know with the tab type locks you can just snap them but I can't really do that with this and would rather not break the slot as the PCIe 2.0 slot would cause the card to cover 4 of my SATA sockets :(

Ohh also the reason I want to take it out and not just leave it be is that after getting it half out and putting it back in I've been experiencing quite a few graphical glitches such as flickering while playing games and occasionally random squares that look like QR codes will appear, especially when using Chrome, so I wanted to take it out so that I could make sure I've not bent anything and re-seat it. I did upgrade to Catalyst 14.4 straight after putting it back in though so not sure if it's maybe being caused by it. 

Mindovermaster

Take a screwdriver and press the button down.

gohpep

I had this problem. I just unlocked everything, and pressed all the buttons and pulled really hard. :/

• Like 2
Mystic Mungis

Take a screwdriver and press the button down.

I tried that but I put so much pressure on it that the screwdriver went about half way through it :(

I had this problem. I just unlocked everything, and pressed all the buttons and pulled really hard. :/

Yeah if nothing else works then I think it'll just come to that, might try it with the screwdriver and something below it in case it slides off so it doesn't damage the mobo. I'm guessing that you managed to not damage anything in the process?

EDIT: Okay I bit the bullet and tried pulling it, I didn't think it was going to come out but then with a really horrible snapping sound it came free! I frantically checked everything over and couldn't find anything wrong, I crossed my fingers, put it back in and... it's cured the problems I was having :)! Thank you!

FiB3R

Looking at other images of that board, it seems like the lever is missing, or it's a different mechanism.

msib75ag431.jpg

Jason S.

i dont think ive used a retention clip like that one before, but ive certainly had issues myself removing video cards.

i wonder if you could have pressed down gently on the video card just to give the clip a little bit of give and perhaps loosen it

Mystic Mungis

Looking at other images of that board, it seems like the lever is missing, or it's a different mechanism.

Weird! Mine looks pretty much the same as that but without the curved ends. When I got it out there I tried taking the card back out a couple of times and it worked okay so hopefully it's just a different revision or something. 

i dont think ive used a retention clip like that one before, but ive certainly had issues myself removing video cards.

i wonder if you could have pressed down gently on the video card just to give the clip a little bit of give and perhaps loosen it

Yeah I tried that, used to have to do it all the time with my old mobo, but no matter how much I pushed, pulled and wiggled the clips would not move until I eventually just pulled it hard and they snapped back. Hope it doesn't happen again though, it was terrifying! 

Crisp

Doesn't 3.0 lock in place like RAM slots do. You'll have to put pressure with your finger on the lock while lifting at the same time with the other hand outwards from the bracket end due to its size. Should pop right out.

Mystic Mungis

Doesn't 3.0 lock in place like RAM slots do. You'll have to put pressure with your finger on the lock while lifting at the same time with the other hand outwards from the bracket end due to its size. Should pop right out.

That's basically what I ended up doing, the sound made me rather worried but maybe I mistakenly did it correctly :P!

gohpep

I tried that but I put so much pressure on it that the screwdriver went about half way through it :(

Yeah if nothing else works then I think it'll just come to that, might try it with the screwdriver and something below it in case it slides off so it doesn't damage the mobo. I'm guessing that you managed to not damage anything in the process?

EDIT: Okay I bit the bullet and tried pulling it, I didn't think it was going to come out but then with a really horrible snapping sound it came free! I frantically checked everything over and couldn't find anything wrong, I crossed my fingers, put it back in and... it's cured the problems I was having :)! Thank you!

I'm glad it worked! :) and yeah, my graphics card still worked after I pulled it out, too
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hellowalkman
      Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB reportedly priced at $999, launch in May
      by Sayan Sen

Hong Kong, it seems, is bustling with GPU activity as recently there was a seize of illegal GPUs being smuggled and today a bunch of upcoming Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti MSI Ventus models were spotted.

Tech site HKEPC has reported that it has spotted MSI Ventus models of Nvidia's upcoming RTX 3080 Ti 12GB graphics cards. The graphics cards were seen during the process of transit as they are reportedly being transported from Hong Kong and destined for US retail stores and such. This is in preparation of the 3080 Ti's reported launch next month. The site adds that Nvidia is pricing the RTX 3080 Ti at $999 which is the same as AMD's 16GB Radeon RX 6900 XT.

The report says that the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti will also come pre-installed with the mining limiter that was introduced alongside the RTX 3060.

Nvidia had initially wanted the RTX 3080 Ti to be the same chip as the 3090 with cut-down VRAM but has since abandoned that plan. Present reports confirm that the 3080 Ti will be a 12GB model however the CUDA core count of the chip is still unconfirmed. Earlier reports suggested that there might be 9,984 CUDA cores but more recent ones say that the number might be higher at 10,240.

Source and image: HKEPC

• By hellowalkman
      MSI sets DDR4 overclocking record reaching 7156 MHz on the MEG Z590I UNIFY board
      by Sayan Sen

Kovan Yang, a member of MSI's memory overclocking team, has set a new DDR4 speed record by overclocking an 8GB HyperX Predator 2400 module all the way up to 7156MHz. The feat was achieved using the company's new MEG Z590I UNIFY mini-ITX motherboard and is a way to showcase the board's overclocking capabilities. Z590 is the flagship chipset based around Intel's LGA 1200 socket and the MEG Z590I UNIFY is one such premium board. LGA 1200 is Intel's latest socket that supports the company's 11th gen 'Rocket Lake-S' processors and is also backwards compatible with last-gen 'Comet Lake-S' parts.

The previous record was held by another overclocking guru named Hocayu who had reached 7100MHz using a Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII APEX and in both cases the Core i9-11900KF was used as the CPU. However, this new record by MSI seems more impressive as it was likely achieved using a far less capable DRAM stick judging by the reported CAS Latency (CL) on the thing which apparently had to be raised up to 58, while the previous record reports a CAS Latency of 31 indicating that Hocayu's kit was probably much faster out of the box. The processor was also not as far downclocked by Kovan Yang as compared to Hocayu's. In both scenarios, Liquid Nitrogen was used to cool the memory module. You can find more information related to this new record at the HWBOT link here.

• By indospot
      MSI updates its desktop lineup with Intel 11th-gen processors
      by João Carrasqueira

Intel introduced its 11th generation of Intel Core processors, formerly known as Rocket Lake-S, earlier today, and naturally, gaming PCs are the first ones to get updated with the new goods. MSI has announced that many of its gaming-oriented desktop PCs, including products from the Trident, Infinite, Codex, and Aegis lines are getting updated with the latest Intel processors.

If you missed the announcement, Intel's Rocket Lake processors pack quite a few advancements, despite still being built on a 14nm process. Among the improvements, there's up to a 19% uplift in performance per clock, support for PCIe 4.0, boost clocks up to 5.3GHz, and the addition of graphics based on Iris Xe - though you're unlikely to need that in gaming PCs.

The lineup of PCs getting updated includes the compact Trident X and Trident AS, packing up to a Core i9-11900K and a Core i7-11700F, respectively; the Infinite RS, also coming with up to a Core i9-11900K; the Codex R with up to a Core i7-11700; and the Aegis RS, Aegis R, and Aegis SE, featuring up to a Core i9-11900K, Core i7-11700, and Core i5-11400F, respectively.

All of these PCs also come with Nvidia RTX 3000 series GPUs, with max configurations varying depending on the model, and of course, they also include PCIe Gen 4 SSDs. Interestingly, the Aegis SE is said to feature "up to an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050", a graphics card that does not exist, at least not yet.

As for pricing, the Trident X will start at $2,099, the Trident AS will start at $1,699, the Infinite RS at $2,649, the Codex R at $1,349, the Aegis RS at $1,999, and the Aegis R at $1,649. Pricing for the Aegis SE will be revealed later. MSI didn't specifically say when these refreshed versions will be available, and they don't seem to be listed on its website just yet.

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.38.0
      by Razvan Serea

GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor. At launch, it automatically scans your system and reports the card name, GPU, release date and transistors, BIOS version, ROPs, memory type, and memory size.

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.38.0 changelog:

Fixed BIOS saving on AMD RDNA2 cards. BIOSes saved with old GPU-Z versions are only 512 KB and will brick your card when flashed PCI-Express Resizable BAR status is now displayed in the main window Added support for negative temperature monitoring on NVIDIA Added support for AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, RX 6700, RX 6600 XT, RX 6600, Lucienne APU integrated graphics Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile

Download page: GPU-Z 2.38.0 | 6.9 MB (Freeware)
      View: GPU-Z Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.37.0
      by Razvan Serea

GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor. At launch, it automatically scans your system and reports the card name, GPU, release date and transistors, BIOS version, ROPs, memory type, and memory size.

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.37.0 changelog:

Added memory vendor detection on Navi 1x and Navi 2x Added workaround for NVIDIA Ampere PCIe hardware bug Added filter to avoid misreadings on EVGA iCX Fixed fake detection for some GT218 variants Improved Russian translation Added preliminary support for Radeon RX 6700 and RX 6600 Series Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, RTX 3080 Mobile, RTX 3070 Mobile, RTX 3060 Mobile, RTX A6000, A40, A100-SXM4-40GB, Drive PX2, P106M, Quadro K510M, modded Quadro K6000 Added support for additional variants of NVIDIA GTX 1650 Max-Q, Quadro P1000, GTX 650, GT 430 Added support for AMD Cezanne, Radeon Pro V520, R9 290X ES, Barco MXRT 2600 Added support for Intel Comet Lake Graphics (Celeron 5205U and i7-10810U) Added vendor detection for Yeston Download page: GPU-Z 2.37.0 | 6.9 MB (Freeware)
      View: GPU-Z Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware