DNS Name Servers

So I feel like I am missing something here.  Maybe someone can suggest something or tell me I am not crazy.

Company I work for owns the site xyz.com.  We have our own authoritative external dns server with 2 different ISPs acting as slaves for xyz.com

Everything is working good, I update the DNS zone file and I see it propogate out to the two ISP namerservers.

The problem started when we had to change our IP addresses.

Seemed like a simple change to me, I updated the IPs on the reigstrar site for xyz.com, updated our external dns server with the new IP address.  I run nslookups and things look good against our nameserver.

BUT, our ISPs seem to be refusing to update their records.  Saying they will just pull down the new info and everything will update fine while I have been trying to tell them they need to update their DNS records for xyz.com with our new IP address.  Been spending 3 days on this and so far have managed to get them to only update a few of them and are basically ignoring me now.

So what I am missing?  What is the proper way to change IP addresses when you need to update your external facing dns server and slave nameservers?

budman will be here in a sec.  :)

Let me see if I have this right:

You have an authoritative DNS server answering as NS1.xyz.com.

The ISP is running NS2 and NS3, they are pulling the data from NS1.

You changed the IP address of NS1

The ISP no longer gets updates.

The ISP needs to change where it's getting updates from, some servers do not do this automatically.

http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/ is a good online DNS tool to check your settings.

Let me see if I have this right:

You have an authoritative DNS server answering as NS1.xyz.com.

The ISP is running NS2 and NS3, they are pulling the data from NS1.

You changed the IP address of NS1

The ISP no longer gets updates.

The ISP needs to change where it's getting updates from, some servers do not do this automatically.

http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/ is a good online DNS tool to check your settings.

Pretty bang on.  I have been using dnscheck.pingdom.com. dnsinspect and whatsmydns.  But try and get someone from the ISP to understand that...

Pretty bang on.  I have been using dnscheck.pingdom.com. dnsinspect and whatsmydns.  But try and get someone from the ISP to understand that...

Email the ISP and tell them that their secondary DNS servers are not transferring the zone from the primary. Can they please confirm that they are set up to get zone transfers from IP address x.x.x.x. (the new IP of ns1)

---

Any possibility of getting the name server running on the old IP address for a few hours with the new records?

Email the ISP and tell them that their secondary DNS servers are not transferring the zone from the primary. Can they please confirm that they are set up to get zone transfers from IP address x.x.x.x. (the new IP of ns1)

---

Any possibility of getting the name server running on the old IP address for a few hours with the new records?

Actually have a vm with the new IP address and an old server with the old IP address. I updated the NS A record on the old server to reflect the new IP address and set the serial number on the old one 2014050601 and the new one to 2014050701.  Still no dice.

Actually have a vm with the new IP address and an old server with the old IP address. I updated the NS A record on the old server to reflect the new IP address and set the serial number on the old one 2014050601 and the new one to 2014050701.  Still no dice.

Make them both the same serial 2014050702 or higher. All the records should be exactly the same on both servers. Then see if it picks up the zone from the old server. You'll see the zone xfer in the logs (if enabled).

Make them both the same serial 2014050702 or higher. All the records should be exactly the same on both servers. Then see if it picks up the zone from the old server. You'll see the zone xfer in the logs (if enabled).

Awesome that did the trick for one of the ISPs.  Just need the other one to change now.

Thanks for all your help.

Awesome that did the trick for one of the ISPs.  Just need the other one to change now.

Thanks for all your help.

Glad to help. This should work until you can convince them that the data has to come from the new server and not the old. What I would do is wait a while for everything to settle down, then turn off the old server and increment the serial number on the new one. If the ISP servers transfer the data from the new server, you're done. If they don't, then you're going to have to pressure them to fix it. 

What I would do in that case is add a test record for something not important. Like a CNAME of beta.xyz.com pointing to www.xyz.com, then wait a day. If the transfer doesn't happen, tell them that beta.xyz.com isn't resolving and they need to check their DNS. Use nslookup (or similar) to give them a bunch of data showing that it's fine on NS1, but not their server.