Windows 8.1 Update 1 won't install

No matter what I try, that recent major update pack / feature pack / service pack for Windows 8.1 absolutely point blank

refuses to install on my main PC. It fails with the standard Windows Update method through which all the other updates

are usually delivered, and it falls at the first with the standalone MSU files downloaded seperately from Microsoft..

It installed fine on my laptop, and also installed it on my media centre PC ... that only needs a reboot and it's done.

But on the PC I use the most, it won't install at all. I wouldn't mind too much, except for the fact that TPTB at Redmond

have decreed that any Windows 8.1 user won't receive any more updates if this big update isn't installed first. So my

installation of Microsoft's latest OS is about to become as insecure as the old OS that was very recently killed off!

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-1.png

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-2.png

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-3.png

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-4.png

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-5.png

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-6.png

Windows-8.1-Update--screengrab-7.png

try this, open an admin command prompt and type without quotes "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"  then try to do the update again. Also if you have McAfee installed you might want to uninstall it as it blocks updates where the servicing stack changes.

try this, open an admin command prompt and type without quotes "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" then try to do the update again. Also if you have McAfee installed you might want to uninstall it as it blocks updates where the servicing stack changes.

I did that and still didn't want to install. The only thing I did that was able to success was to do a re-install of Windows as upgrade, keeping all the files.

When I did the update I used this order:

kb2919442
kb2919355
kb2932046
kb2937592
kb2938439
KB2934018

Have you installed kb2919442?

Have you tried cleaning %temp% and emptying the download folder under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download?

edit

you need to turn off windows updates, delete the contents of the download folder, then re start windows updates, (reboot is optional)

Before doing what mazighsays, it would be logical to do what Gotenks98 said then do a sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt, then do a check disk chkdsk /f. After that check to see is everything works, if not then proceed to mazigh's link and try those solutions. MAKE sure you uninstall all 3rd party Anti-Virus, firewalls, Application and internet monitoring. You can install all back when you successfully update.

So first do this in an elevated command prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then do this in an elevated command prompt::

sfc /scannow

After it is finished do an offline check disk in an elevated command prompt

type this:

chkdsk /f

Now try to see if it installs. If no then click the link in mazigh's post and try those solutions.

It is possible that your windows account has become corrupt. So, If nothing works then create another Administrator account and try and see if it works in the new account. If not then delete old account and try again in the new account. If that doesn't work then back up everything and do a refresh.

Before doing what mazighsays, it would be logical to do what Gotenks98 said then do a sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt, then do a check disk chkdsk /f. After that check to see is everything works, if not then proceed to mazigh's link and try those solutions. MAKE sure you uninstall all 3rd party Anti-Virus, firewalls, Application and internet monitoring. You can install all back when you successfully update.

So first do this in an elevated command prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then do this in an elevated command prompt::

sfc /scannow

After it is finished do an offline check disk in an elevated command prompt

type this:

chkdsk /f

Now try to see if it installs. If no then click the link in mazigh's post and try those solutions.

It is possible that your windows account has become corrupt. So, If nothing works then create another Administrator account and try and see if it works in the new account. If not then delete old account and try again in the new account. If that doesn't work then back up everything and do a refresh.

Thanks mate, sfc /scannow worked for me.

The last time I saw this kind of problem with an update it was pretty simple, but no logs actually gave away what the problem really was which I was really surprised by.

The disk at the time simply didn't have enough room on the windows partition for it to install. I cleared ~2 more gb and whatever the updates were installed fine. 

Just saying so people know to always try clear a bit more space if they can't figure out what's gone wrong :)