Apple plans to match Microsoft Surface with split-screen iPad multitasking in iOS 8

Apple plans to match Microsoft Surface with split-screen iPad multitasking in iOS 8

iOS 8 is likely to supercharge the functionality of Apple?s iPad with a new split-screen multitasking feature, according to sources with knowledge of the enhancement in development. These people say that the feature will allow iPad users to run and interact with two iPad applications at once. Up until now, each iPad application either developed by Apple or available on the App Store is only usable individually in a full-screen view.

The ability to use multiple applications simultaneously on a tablet?s display takes a page out of Microsoft?s playbook. Microsoft?s Surface line of tablets has a popular ?snap? multitasking feature that allows customers to snap multiple apps onto the screen for simultaneous usage. The feature is popular in the enterprise and in environments where users need to handle multiple tasks at the same time.

Source and full article: 9to5Mac

That was just a matter of time when they would copy this from windows :)

People seem to forget that Apple is known for being fashionably late on a consistent basis. They took their time with copy & paste, 4G and reportedly large screens but when they enter into a market segment that everyone else has been playing in for years they usually do it better than anyone else.

This quote sums it up perfectly. They should hire the guy who made OS Experience on Cydia.

Looking at an iPad and a 16:9 device - I can honestly say that I'd much rather have split-screen multitasking on the Surface vs. the iPad. Will be interesting to see how Apple's attempt pans out. 

Queue up articles from hacks like David Pogue about how split-screen multitasking is the next great innovation from Apple.

Oh, and they'll praise Apple's absolutely wonderful implementation :P

I would say it copies more from Samsung, i had this feature when i had a Galaxy Note 2 and have it on my Galaxy Note 10.1. Its a handy feature now and again as i would surf news sites whilst chatting through SMS / Texts on the GN2, the GN 10.1 is good for notes and browsing because of the larger widescreen. 

The only draw back for the Samsung version is that it's limited to multi/split screen supported apps, not all of them are. 

I welcome it, even if it looks like copying it;s really handy feature to have, when you start reaching eco-system maturity pretty much all the major vendors borrow from each other.